Murray Resigns - Confirmed

TopCat

Surely there's a way for fans to be heard that doesn't call for an outpouring of hatred and childish name calling? A protest at Greenhill Road on the night of the AGM springs to mind. Of course the manager shouldn't get an easy ride but must it come down to personal abuse?

I agree that there is possibly a pay-off due even although he resigned. Hopefully we've got enough in the petty cash to cope.

An outpouring of some sorts was always on the cards, by and large, Murray and the board could have mitigated that with a charm offensive. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be in their nature's to do that. If you go into a job knowing that failure looks like this then I'm afraid you either take it on the chin or find a way to think and act your way out of the mire.

Murray seems to be a strong enough character to move on from this, but a bit of humility and self-examination is in order. He doesn't have to do it in public but had he had a re-assessment of where we were 2 months ago all of this could have been avoided.

Did you see Eddie Howe's demeanor at the game on TV last night, not just strength of character but compassion, humility and team spirit all displayed by the way he put his arms around one of his players during the game. We can all be a bit like that if we allow ourselves, can IM honestly say that he showed a human side that won him some currency with the support?

Of course, if that is lacking, someone senior at the club could have coached and advised that mentality into him. They are supposedly a team at board and management level as well, does it appear to you that the board are right behind the manager or are they simply a distance away from him?

Edited by beyond our ken

An outpouring of some sorts was always on the cards, by and large, Murray and the board could have mitigated that with a charm offensive. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be in their nature's to do that. If you go into a job knowing that failure looks like this then I'm afraid you either take it on the chin or find a way to think and act your way out of the mire.

Murray seems to be a strong enough character to move on from this, but a bit of humility and self-examination is in order. He doesn't have to do it in public but had he had a re-assessment of where we were 2 months ago all of this could have been avoided.

Did you see Eddie Howe's demeanor at the game on TV last night, not just strength of character but compassion, humility and team spirit all displayed by the way he put his arms around one of his players during the game. We can all be a bit like that if we allow ourselves, can IM honestly say that he showed a human side that won him some currency with the support?

Of course, if that is lacking, someone senior at the club could have coached and advised that mentality into him. They are supposedly a team at board and management level as well, does it appear to you that the board are right behind the manager or are they simply a distance away from him?

A successful manager can get cut a lot of slack but Murray never earned that. I like to think that after the first month or so Gilmour was speaking regularly about the lack of progress. Murray's stupid remarks about fans in my opinion wasn't as bad as some here would have us believe but again I hope Gilmour that night told him to shut it where fans are concerned. I'd like to know if the board addressed the apparent unrest in the dressing room. There has been so much talk about it that there must be some truth in it. If it was as bad as some guys make out it must have made the hard job Murray took on well nigh impossible.

Hmmmm I wonder why so many parents are deciding NOT to take their kids to football matches now.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the foul mouthed entitled scumbags in the stands.

I know from first hand experience of my family the kids didnt want to go because they were bored !!

Nothing to do with the bad man swearing !!

I know from first hand experience of my family the kids didnt want to go because they were bored !!

A bit of industrial language is one thing, but a line is crossed when it becomes snarling vitriol. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

If you were offered a promotion from part-time to full-time, stepping up to a bigger company and earning a better salary, along with seeing this as a great opportunity for your career, you are telling me you wouldnt jump at the opportunity?

Do you mean very much like a Corporal in the Army, who has looked after his section jumping at the chance to become Brigadier..... And ending up so much out of his depth and leaving his troops, battered, demoralised, out of position and easy to beat...?

You can hand out as many free tickets as you like but kids would rather watch Ronaldo and Messi on tv or their playstations than watch the footballer on offer.

Look at how many schools there are in the Renfrewshire area and look how empty the family stand is every home game. Free/cheap tickets isnt the answer. Need to make more of an effort. Send the Panda round dressed as Santa ect, drum up some interest. You'll probably find most Paisley kids havent even been to a game of football and couldn't tell you where their local football ground is.

Bit off topic.

I just can't get my head around the abuse the manager gets but the team get applauded off the park. He had to go but I can't believe the players are getting away with murder for yet another season.

A bit of industrial language is one thing, but a line is crossed when it becomes snarling vitriol. I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

i Understand where you are coming from but who decides where that line is ? If Oaky had his way football would be like a sunday school outing .

He deserved everything he got,guy is a fud as a manager

Noone deserves that. By all means boo if you are unhappy or stay away but what does personal abuse accomplish? Would we do that in the workplace if a colleague was given a job that he or she failed to handle? At the end of the day he did something previous managers did not do and resigned. Ian Murray is a human being and knows he has failed at this step up. He hasn't done it on purpose and has recognised the job is too much for him. We don't know whether certain players have thrown the toys out of the pram or downed tools to a certain extent but if the new manager gets this squad to perform then serious questions will be raised as to their professionalism. A number of them need to take a good look in the mirror and ask if they have done all they could? St Mirren is a team with manager, coach, players and owners all in this together. Easy to vent personal vitriole at the manager but 11 players on the pitch are equally culpable.

i Understand where you are coming from but who decides where that line is ? If Oaky had his way football would be like a sunday school outing .

I thought yesterday was exceptional, and a lot of it had to do with the layout of Dumbarton's ground as has been mentioned.

Generally, it isn't a huge issue, though it remains a matter of degree.

Noone deserves that. By all means boo if you are unhappy or stay away but what does personal abuse accomplish? Would we do that in the workplace if a colleague was given a job that he or she failed to handle? At the end of the day he did something previous managers did not do and resigned. Ian Murray is a human being and knows he has failed at this step up. He hasn't done it on purpose and has recognised the job is too much for him. We don't know whether certain players have thrown the toys out of the pram or downed tools to a certain extent but if the new manager gets this squad to perform then serious questions will be raised as to their professionalism. A number of them need to take a good look in the mirror and ask if they have done all they could? St Mirren is a team with manager, coach, players and owners all in this together. Easy to vent personal vitriole at the manager but 11 players on the pitch are equally culpable.

at the end of the day, if the serial non-triers and malcontents change their ways and start to work as a unit again then nobody is going to ask any questions.

We started the season behind the curve of other teams who had the same time as us and less money to prepare a squad than we did- we have consistently lagged further and further behind these teams as the season progressed. Arrogance and indifference seemed very clear to me as parts of IM's make-up and these qualities in a leader will breed in the rest of the team. You could split our squad into the arrogant, the indifferent and the defeated and that would throw a net over 95% of the players.

It's really sad to say that not one person in the entire club has stood out as a potential catalyst for change or even just improvement. My main hope is that Miller saw right away that Murray was a busted flush and decided nothing was going to change until he was on his way, with Murray gone then the Miller of old would be the the person to shake things up-I hope he still has enough about him to shake things up and lay proper ground work for a season of progress next year.

Agree jj the players being clapped was a joke. They are essentially the problem. They're not good enough

It's a rather surreal video. Give the manager dog's abuse - then clap the players!

If I'd been there yesterday I'd have been joining in with the "get tae f**k" and "You don't know what you're doing" chants as well as the booing.

I think Murray felt the wrath of 18 months of misery yesterday. TC rarely had it thrown in his face and I think Murray hadn't heard much descent from the stands considering how miserable times have been recently with next to no positives to be taken from each game.

Don't kid yourselves there is not a support in the land who would not have acted differently yesterday after such a horrific run of performances and results. Not condoning it but that is football and always will be when times are tough and results are as bad.

Move on and hope the next management team can galvanise the players and support.

Edited by Mr Zo

A successful manager can get cut a lot of slack but Murray never earned that. I like to think that after the first month or so Gilmour was speaking regularly about the lack of progress. Murray's stupid remarks about fans in my opinion wasn't as bad as some here would have us believe but again I hope Gilmour that night told him to shut it where fans are concerned. I'd like to know if the board addressed the apparent unrest in the dressing room. There has been so much talk about it that there must be some truth in it. If it was as bad as some guys make out it must have made the hard job Murray took on well nigh impossible.

When you consider gilmour's "knickerwetters" statement I think it is safe to say that there was no positive role-model for IM at the club

Stewart Gilmour and the board are living off saving the club 15 years ago and a cup win that papered over the cracks. The lack of leadership, communication at the club is akin to that of a bowling club, not a professional football club.

I was unable to attend yesterdays game, so I am unable to comment on any personal abuse directed towards Murray, but any type of personal abuse directed towards Murray is in my book unwarranted. Like many a St.Mirren fan I very much wanted rid of Murray as manager, but not at the expense of bringing in Miller, as I fully expect the BOD,s will do. The entire scenario holds many types of similarities to the BOD,s decision prior to not renewing Danny Lennons contract then stabbing him in the back and appointing Tommy Craig, who rather like McCoist of Rangers, is on gardening leave and thus is still receiving wages from the club. Now do not get me wrong I wanted the BOD,s not to renew Danny Lennons contract and sack Tommy Craig, what with hindsight being a wonderful thing had I known the BOD,s had planned to bring in Craig as a replacement for Lennon I would certainly have been against it. In know way am I advocating the return of Danny Lennon as manager but like many, if not all a St.Mirren supporter I would not have a clue who to appoint as manager, whoever it is, is going to have to be a very good manager.

As I said before I fully expect Alex Miller to be appointed interim manager and hopefully he will manage to keep us in this league, with a more permanent manager appointed in the summer, one that is able to get us promotion to where we belong in the SPFL.

NB THE PLAYERS ARE A BIG PART OF OUR DEMISE AND IN NO WAY BLAMELESS

Edited by stripey

Only the consortium want to leave, not the entire BoD. They have placed an unreasonable value on their shareholding. They used their board positions to strengthen their hold on the club over a period of years, thus stifling the chance of anyone with an alternative plan gaining some leverage.

In short, they thought they could maximise their investment and capitalise on it. Their best offers have come and gone, if IM could see the writing on the wall then why can't the board? A valuation of around half of the asking price would give them all money they never had in their accounts before, albeit less than they want or think they are due. They could also get their loans repaid and head off into the golden sunshine still comfortably wedged.

Their valuation is choking the club, 850k and a rapid repayment of their loans should be enough recompense them

Should be enough?

with respect that is simply not your call.

And in my experience it was to do with people constantly swearing at opposomg plays, managers, refs etc.

The world has moved on to a more civilised footing but football in this, country is stuck in 1980's hell.

In the past couple of years we've been getting slapped on a fairly regular basis by teams comprising of Fisherman and retail workers, getting slapped by the St Mirren side managed by Murray could go down as our most embarrassing moment.

While I'm here cheers for McCausland, top shagger.

Should be enough?

with respect that is simply not your call.

Indeed, not my call. Although It seems to be the call, or in the region thereof, of the recent bidders who wouldn't or couldn't match the sellers expectations.

But you would deny me an opinion? I can't believe it, you are forever persuading us you are so high-minded and decent.

In the past couple of years we've been getting slapped on a fairly regular basis by teams comprising of Fisherman and retail workers, getting slapped by the St Mirren side managed by Murray could go down as our most embarrassing moment.

While I'm here cheers for McCausland, top shagger.

Eh, you're welcome.

Is he in your top 5 or your all time number 1?