Alloa Athletic V St Mirren Championship 19/12/15

shull

Made 3 changes...

Watson and Webster together at the back.

Mallan in a central role.

Shanks and Gal get 90 minutes together up front.

Was in the dugout shouting encouragement at the players and laughing with them.

How long have we been saying sort the defence... play Mallan in the middle and play Shanks and Gal together up front?

Murray was the master of his own fate and the architect of his own downfall!

Hopefully his expectations for this week are higher than mine. My expectations are for three different 'Lynx' bodyspray/shower gel sets, a pair of thick socks that 'will be good for the golf', a bargain box of Thorntons toffees bought from a Dobbies Garden Centre, and a pair of trakky bottoms fae' Sports Direct.

Yo ho fcuking ho.

I got a Pilot jacket just need someone to give me a shot of their plane now.so I can try it out.

Edited by linwood buddie

feet on the ground, it was a win against the league whipping boys. However a clean sheet, restricting them to three chances (Clangers tried to gift then one on his own) all bodes well. Where we were left wanting today was clinical finishing. and strikers who make the ball come to them. so Santa stick Mehmet & Sutton in our stocking and when we jingle... we'll jingle all the way!

FT 0-2

Solid 3 points. Got nervous in the last 15 of the first half and the start of the second, but the second goal killed it.

Thought our best player was Keith Watson, he slotted right in at centre half and dominated the game. Gallagher and Shankland - who've been poor all season - both played well and deserved their goals.

Without being patronising (to steal Murrays immortal words) it was *only* Alloa so we shouldn't get carried away. They are nailed on for 10th, we need to make sure we avoid 9th.

Keep playing like that and we will.

That's the key bit for me. It's a good start and a game we really had to win, however it's only the first step rather than the proof we've turned things round. Judging by the posts it was a fully deserved win and we weren't clinging on as we were the last time we won, so that's an encouraging sign. Dumbarton and Livi drawing was probably ideal for us too. The goal for Shankland and improved performance from McMullan show why it should be a clean slate for every player rather than automatically writing off those who didn't perform under the previous regime.

Quite surprised to see we got a second. After all, according to our former manager - who knows more about football than us - it's a natural reaction for a team that's a goal up just to get deeper and deeper. Rae has managed more points from one game against a part-time team than Murray managed for three.

Probably wrong but I think Rae is the first manager to win their first league game in charge since Gus. Good to get that monkey off his back early doors as the honking starts under Craig and Murray set the tone for the nightmare to follow.

Edited by Stu

I was quick off the mark in my "Blue Suede Shoes"

I'll need to have Wheels on my heels next time...rolleyes.gif

I'm here why.

Alex's letter to Elvis…

Elvis,

I know you’ve been asking…

What now, what next, where to? That script you’ve got to

Rip it up

Once is enough

For the Millionth and Last time

Doncha’ think its time you

Let yourself go.

I believe,

You’ve lost that loving feeling.

You gotta stop with the

Suspicious minds.

It may be beginners luck but

Who needs money

I got my mojo working.

Don’t think twice its alright,

Let me be there. I know we are in

T-R-O-U-B-L-E but although

I got lucky with this job,

Big Boss man,

I can help

Way down in this

Poison Ivy League. Some say

Its impossible

Fool(s) and

Am I ready?

That’s alright

It is no secret, there’s a

Whole lotta shakin going on

Poor Boy.

Don’t be cruel

Lets be friends

Treat me nice

I beg of you

Let me be there

I’ll never let you go

How do you think I feel?

A fool such as I, I’m

Trying to get to you

I’m counting on you, my

Goodluck charm…I know it is often a

One sided love affair, but your club is asking

Love me tender

I just cant help believing

Good time Charlie’s got the blues

This is the story

It’s now or never. Stay

Steadfast, Loyal and True

It won’t be long

Slowly but surely

Today tomorrow and forever

Follow that Dream,

I’m not the Devil in Disguise, I’m

Doin’ the best I can. A win? Not just once in a

Blue Moon

Bringing it back to the

Green, green grass of home

Too much?

A little less conversation?

Hard Luck.

C’mon everybody, this could be a

Fairytale, Saints I’m

So glad you’re mine, I know I’m in

Big boots but

Relax

Confidence

Shout it out,

Don’t be a

Stranger in the crowd,

Hey, Hey, Hey

When the Saints go Marching In

I hope you enjoyed your early present this black and

White Christmas!

Alex

Edited by Bart Simpson

Think it was a master stroke to drop baird he's been a liability for weeks and needed dropped

He is a young lad, whose confidence is totally shot. Referring to him as a liability won't help. I agree that it was time to 'rest' him, but no need to slate the player.

Edited by Drew

He is young lad, whose confidence is totally shot. Referring to him as a liability won't help. I agree that it was time to 'rest' him, but no need to slate the player.

This.

He is drastically out of form, and has been poor but he doesn't need to be hung out to dry.

There's a good defender in there with Baird, he just need to improve his ability on the ball

Very welcome three points on an atrocious surface and in difficult conditions today.

Thought front two looked very lively and got their rewards with the goals. Undoubtedly the best Shanks has played since joining us and Gallagher looks so much more comfortable up front.

He needed that goal and hopefully it will give him a surge of confidence.

Watson looked composed at the back but we still looked shaky at times and only a brilliant Langfield save late on kept the clean sheet.

McMullan superb for 45 mins but faded second half.

Reid I thought had a great game.

All in all it was a pleasing performance.

Hope we get a good support on Boxing Day and the same level of positivity that the Travelling fans showed today.

Some terrible jumpers on show mind.

The alarm bells wrang for me in the summer when Murray announced that Kelly and Baird would be our first choice centre half partnership. He also said that tactics didn't really happen in the Championship.

You need experience in the central defence but he started without any. Also left out Goodwin.

Baird should be slowly introduced not thrown right in at the deep end.

Without being patronising (to steal Murrays immortal words) it was *only* Alloa so we shouldn't get carried away. They are nailed on for 10th, we need to make sure we avoid 9th.

Keep playing like that and we will.

I can't see why we shouldn't still be aiming for 4th. We will be looking for Rangers Hibs and Falkirk to steamroller most teams and then everyone else is capable of taking points off the other teams. 4th is do-able over the course of the remaining games especially if we can strengthen the correct areas in the next couple of weeks..

Decent performance from us today.

It was a straight forward 4-4-2 formation which I liked, everyone knew their job they had to do - defenders defended, midfield worked hard, and the strikers scored goals- Langfield produced a great save even though at one point he forgot he was a keeper and thought he was Neymar!!

Crap pitch, good 3 points, hopefully it gives the players a wee bit of belief and confidence 'going forward'.