Wee Clueless

Kemp

Show yourself.

Admit it, you and all the utter fools in our support that claimed Gus and Danny were "wee clueless".

Those who hounded those wonderful managers out the club, show yourself now.

Or will this post be met with this silence?

You know who are you, you wee clueless idiot.

we're never going to all agree with each other on this one - personally i thought Gus's football was bad to watch so i thought his time was up but i would have renewed Danny's contract. i felt he had learned some hard lessons with us and was a better manager when we let him go than he was when we initially signed him. however i know from threads on here that other fans thought the opposite - that we should've kept Gus and that Danny's time was up.. We only agree when things are really shit (TC & Murray had to go, and should've gone sooner) and when things are great (77-87 anyone, European football, 3rd place finishes, Scottish cup win etc.) hopefully the new manager will unite us all again but this time for the right reasons.

Show yourself.

Admit it, you and all the utter fools in our support that claimed Gus and Danny were "wee clueless".

Those who hounded those wonderful managers out the club, show yourself now.

Or will this post be met with this silence?

You know who are you, you wee clueless idiot.

The current board will not have either back so it's pointless blaming the fans for "hounding" them out. The BoDs wanted rid and will not want either back.

The current board will not have either back so it's pointless blaming the fans for "hounding" them out. The BoDs wanted rid and will not want either back.

The fact that neither have managed at a level higher than St Mirren proves that they were not 'hounded' out.

This thread ???

'Thinks' .............................. Lunatics and Asylum.

Lennon and MacPherson were incompetents and both of them deserved to be relieved of their duties at SMP.

The members of our current Board, several of whom courageously stepped forward in St Mirren's hour of need (effectively our hour of potential obliteration), and saved us from extinction by the asset stripper Reg Brearley should forever deserve our thanks. Thank you !!!

But since then this Board's record in appointing team managers has been unforgivably bad. Perhaps the short-term success we witnessed under Tom Hendrie 15 years ago would could be regarded as the sole exception but even Tom's time in charge imploded in the end. Even the amazing league cup success in 2013 under DL turned out to be a false dawn, nothing but a flash in the pan.

Ultimately this Board's strategy in selecting replacement managers has been flawed and the loyal St Mirren fans have suffered the consequences of their penny-pinching short-sightedness. Now that Ian Murray has (honourably) quit his post the BoD must get their act together and appoint the right person in the hot seat regardless of the short-term cost. Too much consideration of "well let's take the easy / cheap option as we will be selling up soon" has gone into the appointment of managers in the past. The cheapest option has been the preferred option every time.

So, moving forward, NOT ALEX MILLAR !!!!

The BoD have to wake up and think adventurously. They have to spend whatever is necessary to bring in the right person otherwise our spiral down the league structure will continue.

NOT THE CHEAPEST OPTION !!!

Gus dull football & lost to 9 men

Danny Won a Cup then went on a dull winless streak

But neither where Sacked by anyone on this Forum or in the Stands they where (rightly IMO) sacked by the Board

The Successors (appointed by the same Board) haven't worked out but the only one who has any claim to say he was hounded out is Murray and he resigned

Time to face up to the fact that unless you are in a position to (financially) oust the current incumbents they will choose the next Manager & you and I will have to live with their decision

Personally I liked Gus as manager. He inherited a shambles not unlike the one we have today, a team struggling at the foot of the 2nd tier, and within a couple of seasons we were champions and had won the Challenge Cup.

He then kept us in the top flight throughout his reign, and although we ultimately lost the League Cup final it was a terrific run to get there.

However.............

The football in the top flight was grim at times, there were long winless runs, the football wasn't very pleasing on the eye and there didnt seem to be a great relationship between him and the Academy.

Danny, I liked also. Particularly in his second season when we very nearly "clicked". We were playing some great stuff, we had a very good squad, and ultimately one that lifted historic silverware.

Again though we had long barren runs in the league, and then there was the incredibly poor player recruitment in the latter part of his reign.

So either way, both good managers to a point, but neither worth going back to for me. Time to move on.

The club in its current sad state requires an experienced man at the helm. It's absolutely vital we appoint someone who can sort out what is a shockingly poor squad. These players have been just as guilty at not doing their job as much as the manager.

We must somehow get this poor squad kicked into some kind of shape in order to save us from another relegation.

I don't have a clue if there is enough in the pot to appoint someone like a McCall or a Calderwood, but suspect it will be Miller and AN other to the end of the season.

Whoever we appoint then he must be given something in Jan to wheel and deal and maybe shift some of the duds on, to enable a freshening up process with some new players who will at least show some passion and fight for the upcoming battle.

Personally I liked Gus as manager. He inherited a shambles not unlike the one we have today, a team struggling at the foot of the 2nd tier, and within a couple of seasons we were champions and had won the Challenge Cup.

He then kept us in the top flight throughout his reign, and although we ultimately lost the League Cup final it was a terrific run to get there.

However.............

The football in the top flight was grim at times, there were long winless runs, the football wasn't very pleasing on the eye and there didnt seem to be a great relationship between him and the Academy.

Danny, I liked also. Particularly in his second season when we very nearly "clicked". We were playing some great stuff, we had a very good squad, and ultimately one that lifted historic silverware.

Again though we had long barren runs in the league, and then there was the incredibly poor player recruitment in the latter part of his reign.

So either way, both good managers to a point, but neither worth going back to for me. Time to move on.

Paisley St Mirren , a team from the country's biggest town. Considering that last sentence in itself is enough to serve up an understanding and level of historic underachievement in footballing terms. We have had in my lifetime a couple of eras where things were exciting , Ferguson, Clunie, Hendrie had spells where there was a certain magic and excitement. Smith and Lennon gave us a cup. So, in forty five years say, we have had spells of delight interspersed with fallow brittle football that was more akin to a punishment exercise than any form of supporter enjoyment.

What I am looking for in my team is a few traits......maybe some miracle worker is out there waiting for their calling.

I'd love us to play with a tempo that was high pressing and adventurous

I'd love us to adopt an attitude and look to boss teams into the turf on occasions

I'd not expect us to win all the time, just to play with a swagger now and again, get tore in and serve the fans some honest efforts

I'd love St Miren to be an exciting team to follow, not the grim stubborn turgid limited team we have had over recent years.

I'd love a new bod and a unity with the town and the team.

That's all I want for Christmas, well, that and a nice woolly new Saints scarf

This thread ???

'Thinks' .............................. Lunatics and Asylum.

Lennon and MacPherson were incompetents and both of them deserved to be relieved of their duties at SMP.

The members of our current Board, several of whom courageously stepped forward in St Mirren's hour of need (effectively our hour of potential obliteration), and saved us from extinction by the asset stripper Reg Brearley should forever deserve our thanks. Thank you !!!

But since then this Board's record in appointing team managers has been unforgivably bad. Perhaps the short-term success we witnessed under Tom Hendrie 15 years ago would could be regarded as the sole exception but even Tom's time in charge imploded in the end. Even the amazing league cup success in 2013 under DL turned out to be a false dawn, nothing but a flash in the pan.

Ultimately this Board's strategy in selecting replacement managers has been flawed and the loyal St Mirren fans have suffered the consequences of their penny-pinching short-sightedness. Now that Ian Murray has (honourably) quit his post the BoD must get their act together and appoint the right person in the hot seat regardless of the short-term cost. Too much consideration of "well let's take the easy / cheap option as we will be selling up soon" has gone into the appointment of managers in the past. The cheapest option has been the preferred option every time.

So, moving forward, NOT ALEX MILLAR !!!!

The BoD have to wake up and think adventurously. They have to spend whatever is necessary to bring in the right person otherwise our spiral down the league structure will continue.

NOT THE CHEAPEST OPTION !!!

with pish like this, you will deserve and you will get an idiot like Calderwood in the job.

Flash in the pan? WTF do you expect at a club our size?

Flash in the pan? WTF do you expect at a club our size?

Think there is a happy medium between being ambitious and being realistic.

If you look at the top flight there are teams there like Hamilton, St.Johnstone, ICT and Ross County who are all of a comparable "size" to us, in some cases smaller, who are holding their own and more in the top league.

St.Johnstone won the Scottish Cup but didn't sit back on their laurels and are continuing to progress under a good manager who has assembled a very solid group of players who know exactly what they are doing and the system they are playing within. Top six finishes every season for the last few, Europe, great cup runs.

They are the role model club we should be aspiring to become and there is absolutely no reason why we can't replicate that. Silly to hide behind the "we are a small club" mentality.

Sure we are never going to win the Premiership, but I can't see any reason why we can't aspire to be top half of the top flight.