Latest Betting

Thank god some of the folk on here weren't around when Fergie got the job. A dirty so and so who cheated for a living on the park and gave big Gordon McQueen a real sore one in a cup-tie. There were murmurs on the terracing about not wanting him near the club but thankfully social media was still 25 years away !

Sounds about right.

St Mirren were good for fergie, he inherited a great squad which he plundered to build his Aberdeen side.

One of the irritating things about our current pishness is the total pishness of the rest of the division. If we were pinching a manager from then from one of our rivals what I've seen only Burchill and Stubbs seems to be able to put out a well organised and motivated team.

So for me Stubbs with Birchill as his assistant.

Edited by insaintee

Any experienced managers will have a history of failure... Otherwise they wouldn't be available to St. Mirren!

If this was August I would possibly take on a manager with little experience of managing and no experience of managing a full time club but someone who had a growing reputation and give him a clean slate and a budget. Maybe someone like Ian Murray - no wait - we tried that and got f**ked!

Of course managers can fail but after having 4 in a row I do not want another untried one. This is Dec and we are in a relegation zone with a shit squad. This is not the time to see if someone young (Young is younger than Thommo) with absolutely no relevant experience and no money the opportunity to see if they can hack it. We cannot afford any more potential. We need kinetic! :)

I was responding to your description of Darren Young who you described as a "successful lower league manager". There was no mention of winning any promotions. Young will not be the new manager even less qualified for the post than Murray was.

I mentioned winning promotion in a previous post. The fact that I don't mention it in every post doesn't mean it didn't happen. Doh!

I don't doubt that Young won't be manager.

However, I'd say that he is more qualified than Murray. He improved upon the position that he inherited at his club while Murray did not.

Its my opinion!

One of the irritating things about our current pishness is the total pishness of the rest of the division. If we were pinching a manager from then from one of our rivals what I've seen only Burchill and Stubbs seems to be able to put out a well organised and motivated team.

I've been impressed with how organised Duffy has got Morton, I would happily take him to steady the ship.

If this was August I would possibly take on a manager with little experience of managing and no experience of managing a full time club but someone who had a growing reputation and give him a clean slate and a budget. Maybe someone like Ian Murray - no wait - we tried that and got f**ked!

Of course managers can fail but after having 4 in a row I do not want another untried one. This is Dec and we are in a relegation zone with a shit squad. This is not the time to see if someone young (Young is younger than Thommo) with absolutely no relevant experience and no money the opportunity to see if they can hack it. We cannot afford any more potential. We need kinetic! :)

Agree with you to an extent that the close season was the time to appoint an upcoming young manager rather Tha now.

However, I disagree that Murray fitted that bill.

I was one of the few that stated that maintaining the position he inherited at Dumbarton gave no indication that he'd be successful at St. Mirren.

Indeed, Dumbarton's goals against record in his last season at Dumbarton was diabolical.

His record did mot give me any confidence.

I mentioned winning promotion in a previous post. The fact that I don't mention it in every post doesn't mean it didn't happen. Doh!

I don't doubt that Young won't be manager.

However, I'd say that he is more qualified than Murray. He improved upon the position that he inherited at his club while Murray did not.

Its my opinion!

Dumbarton were bottom of the Championship when he came in. He then kept them up. The next season they finished 5th. He certainly did improve upon the position he inherited. Edited by TopCat

FFSNNN

Agree with you to an extent that the close season was the time to appoint an upcoming young manager rather Tha now.

However, I disagree that Murray fitted that bill.

I was one of the few that stated that maintaining the position he inherited at Dumbarton gave no indication that he'd be successful at St. Mirren.

Indeed, Dumbarton's goals against record in his last season at Dumbarton was diabolical.

His record did mot give me any confidence.

Agree on that score. Murray was not my choice - I would have preferred Teale over Murray! :)

Young does not fit the criteria needed at the moment imho. He may prove to be a decent manager over time but its a risk we cannot afford to take as we are hopeless at gambling :)

Agree on that score. Murray was not my choice - I would have preferred Teale over Murray! :)

Young does not fit the criteria needed at the moment imho. He may prove to be a decent manager over time but its a risk we cannot afford to take as we are hopeless at gambling :)

Butcher doesn't either, if we all want that sure thing. Horrendous at Newport and relegated at ICT, though he did get some ICT success later and has avoided relegation at a few English clubs.

he inherited a great squad which he plundered to build his Aberdeen side.

That's completely inaccurate btw, his first selection was this with a few young boys to add !

Alec Morrison, Ricky McLachlan, Alec Beckett, John Young, George Brown, Billy Johnston, Rab Laurie, Brian Third, Bobby Biggar, Tony Fitzpatrick, Walter Borthwick, (Alan Hughes, Jason Walker)

He had four players on the books , three from that team plus Bobby Reid, who would become regulars in the top division ! Fergie rebuilt the whole club , and sadly that's what we're looking for now !

we have not had 4 failed managers in a row.

What about Ferguson as director of football and Fullerton as coach, both with ties to the club and experience, and crucially good at bringing through young players

Sorry? Where?

Ferguson has been youth director and manager at a semi pro football club. Fullerton was chased out of Bolton by parents of kids and reserve players who were "apathetic to his training methods".

Does this count as having experience, or being good at brining through young players? Where exactly are these wonderkids that Fullerton brought through at Bolton? And if they were so good why are Bolton still sinking down the league - currently bottom of the Championship with one win in 20 matches.

And besides anyway, why is it that the fans at St Mirren always seem to want to manufacture a management team. All this pish about pairing someone old with someone young. Do you really think thats better than letting an experienced manager pick the assistant he's always worked well with in the past? Calderwood with Young, FFS. How long do you think it would be before Young had the knives out. :rolleyes:

Fullarton moved to Spain where he set up his own football academy, running teams from u8 to u19, playing against Spanish lower league professional club's academies. 7 years on the academy is still running with over 200 players in the system and a number having graduated to sign for professional clubs in both Spain and England.