Latest Betting

Our last 4 managers have either had very little or no experience and look where we are now. I reckon the BoD will go for experience but with still something to prove. Stuart and Ian McColl would fit that bill for me although there are other candidates. I just do not seeing them risk someone with little experience again.

Murray has the same if not better playing career at top flight clubs and international level. He also kept Dumbarton as the best part time club in Scotland. So I believe that there are similarities.

I wouldn't be adverse to Young getting the job however it's a gamble. You do realise that the guy you continually slated (Wee Danny) took Alloa to successive promotions before joining us?

Surely you mean Cowdenbeath young man?

Murray has the same if not better playing career at top flight clubs and international level. He also kept Dumbarton as the best part time club in Scotland. So I believe that there are similarities.

I wouldn't be adverse to Young getting the job however it's a gamble. You do realise that the guy you continually slated (Wee Danny) took Alloa to successive promotions before joining us?

Wee Danny took Cowdenbeath to successive promotions, not Alloa.

Yes, Murray has a better playing career record. But that wasn't my point. Young has loads of experience of playing in the top flight. That is just a good to have.

Ian Murray didn't have record of winning promotions. Young does have a record of winning promotions.

Every single managerial appointment is a gamble! I can't see a single name listed who wouldn't be a gamble in one way or another!

It's worth remembering Dumbarton had 5 points in December when Murray took over, they finished with over 40 points and missed out on the play offs by a baw hair.

Don't think this is the job for another up and coming manager, we need experience and safe hands. I think Calderwood fits that .

I wouldn't be averse to Calderwood. He has a track record of avoiding relegation and plays attacking football.

A short term appointment to the end of the season and see how we get on would be okay with me.

I wouldn't be averse to Calderwood. He has a track record of avoiding relegation and plays attacking football.

A short term appointment to the end of the season and see how we get on would be okay with me.

Yeah he saved Killie and County I believe?

He's at least have a go at most teams in this league. He'd be aware of the financial constraints at the club.

The more I think about it the less of risky he sounds compared to others.

Difficult to marry the short term goals with the longer term ones.

We need someone to come in, kick some arse, juggle the squad on a very limited budget and get us sorted out quickly so that we can at least comfortably retain our Championship place for next season.

We also need someone to completely revamp our recruitment policy and completely gut the first team squad, removing pretty much every last trace of the last two regimes and that sadly means the end for the likes of Thommo and Goodwin. That job can only really be started in the summer.

I'm not sure there is an answer that covers both these needs. Calderwood fits the bill for the immediate need for example but I'm not convinced he does for the longer term.

We need someone to come in, kick some arse, juggle the squad on a very limited budget and get us sorted out quickly so that we can at least comfortably retain our Championship place for next season.

We also need someone to completely revamp our recruitment policy and completely gut the first team squad, removing pretty much every last trace of the last two regimes and that sadly means the end for the likes of Thommo and Goodwin. That job can only really be started in the summer.

I'm not sure there is an answer that covers both these needs. Calderwood fits the bill for the immediate need for example but I'm not convinced he does for the longer term.

You probably have more privy to what is going on behind the scenes Div but I would keep Goodwin as he is by a mile our best player this season. But mostly all of Murray's signings can go as far as I am concerned.

I think we can marry short and long term expectations by appointing an experienced manager who still has something to prove like Ian McColl or Stuart McColl. Calderwood I see as only short term and after appointing four managers on the trot with limited/no experience I reckon we should not go down that route again either now or in the summer. An experienced manager who can start a rebuilding process over a period of time and give us some stability is what I would be after.

I've had 3 texts in the last 10 mins telling me Calderwood was at the 2021 this morning.

I would go with Calderwood with a young Assistant ready to take over in a couple of seasons.I have heard Barry Robson (Aberdeen) name as one who is keen to get into management.Could JC be the man to steady the ship whilst Robson,or someone similar,serves an apprenticeship?

We cant take a chance on an untried Manager,got to be someone who has been thru the shit before.

I would have to think twice about my St Mirren future if Barry Ferguson,Alex Rae or anyone equally as pish got the job.

I've had 3 texts in the last 10 mins telling me Calderwood was at the 2021 this morning.

I would go with Calderwood with a young Assistant ready to take over in a couple of seasons.I have heard Barry Robson (Aberdeen) name as one who is keen to get into management.Could JC be the man to steady the ship whilst Robson,or someone similar,serves an apprenticeship?

We cant take a chance on an untried Manager,got to be someone who has been thru the shit before.

I would have to think twice about my St Mirren future if Barry Ferguson,Alex Rae or anyone equally as pish got the job.

I would have had Calderwood in last May and gave him Teale as his sidekick . Indeed, I had Calderwood down for the job even before Danny got the gig. Surely we can afford him and I feel anyone else on that list is second or third best at the very least. .

As you say , John , the days of taking chances are over we must sign someone whom genuinely knows what the f**k they are doing . .

Although he reportedly isn't interested in taking over full time, I can't really see the Board looking any further than Alex Miller at least for the remainder of this season.

He's experienced, having worked at the highest level in coaching management, has been successful at Saints in the past and has offered to work for free (previously at least).

I'm sure with a bit of arm twisting and a bit of PR nonsense about looking for other suitable candidates in the meantime, they will manage to persuade him to stay until May.

After that if we stay up who knows.........

Calderwoods a cheque book manager who's unpopular at all his former clubs.

He kept Kilmarnock up and then left saying there wasn't enough money to take them forward. Then Mixu was appointed and took them to the top 6.

His last job was in the Dutch second tier and he stormed out in a huff after a month in charge because they had to sell their best player to balance the books.

He's certainly not one for the long term, but if there's no one else available I would give him to the end of the season. Keep us up then beat it.

The pairing you mentioned Stuart(Calderwood & Nicholl) would be ideal in my eyes however whoever is chosen would be a gamble ,but with the 2 names mentioned you would be reducing the gamble, at least in the short term, albeit in the case of Calderwood and Nicholl they may want it written into any contracts given "that if we keep St.Mirren in the championship this season a further full season is given". This in my opinion would be acceptable.

As I said before most names put forward by the bookies are ones that would be a gamble. The BOD,s will take the ultimate decision and I doubt it very much if the fans views would be taken into consideration.

Edited by stripey

Wee Danny took Cowdenbeath to successive promotions, not Alloa.

Yes, Murray has a better playing career record. But that wasn't my point. Young has loads of experience of playing in the top flight. That is just a good to have.

Ian Murray didn't have record of winning promotions. Young does have a record of winning promotions.

Every single managerial appointment is a gamble! I can't see a single name listed who wouldn't be a gamble in one way or another!

What about Procter???

I don't think he is a Gamble, but he comes before one.

If a new manager came in this week I'd be in favour of the current squad getting a month or so to prove themselves. Clean slate and all that. The only exceptions to that would be Conlan, as we have better leftbacks, one of Reid or Watson (we only need one and I'd keep the latter) and Gow because, well, he's Gow.

Would also like to see the new manager only appointed until the end of the season to make it easier to bin them if we end up in the bottom two.