Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Alex Ferguson, Alex Miller, Gus MacPherson, David Hay and countless amount of players.

What have they all got in common with Alex Rae, Norrie?

Whoever is the new Manager must be given a chance.

It unfortunately is a wee gamble no matter who is chosen.

Would be an underwhelming and puzzling appointment but like Hendrie, Coughlin, Gus, Danny, Craig, Teale and Murray before him he'll get my 100% support from day one.

Whoever gets the job deserves that from all of us.

If we're going to get through this current crisis all we can do is stick together, support the team and hope for the best.

There would certainly be no justification nor point in getting on the new man's back from day one. That doesn't take away from the fact that if this materialises, it would seem to fly in the face on Gilmour's comments regarding experience at the AGM (as reported).

ETA - first job for whoever is brought in is to sign up Sutton and Mehmet.

Edited by Drew

Would be an underwhelming and puzzling appointment but like Hendrie, Coughlin, Gus, Danny, Craig, Teale and Murray before him he'll get my 100% support from day one.

Whoever gets the job deserves that from all of us.

If we're going to get through this current crisis all we can do is stick together, support the team and hope for the best.

An underwhelming and puzzling appointment is not what any of us need. Two years experience seven years ago, and clearly, would walk across broken glass for the Sevco.

Excuse me while I boak. Back in a minute...

Alex Rae in his two seasons at Dundee, had them finish 3rd with him as player manager and followed that up with a second place finish. I would be delighted to see him replicate that type of finish with us.

Was sacked in October the following season, but had lost Kevin McDonald, Paul Dixon, Scott Robertson, Gavin Swankie and Derek Lyle, amongst others, that summer. They eventually finished 5th under Jocky Scott, but it could be argued that Rae had simply suffered from having to rebuild his team. (Really trying to look for the positives here!)

Alex Rae in his two seasons at Dundee, had them finish 3rd with him as player manager and followed that up with a second place finish. I would be delighted to see him replicate that type of finish with us.

I think the pertinent question would be, why in the 7 years in between that gig has he never been appointed manager anywhere else ?

I know he's been assistant most usually with Paul Ince at a few jobs at MK Dons, Notts County and Blackpool and then with McLeish at Genk but it's hardly a CV glittering with any sort of success and it really concerns me that he's not been a number 1 as we all saw for ourselves wher appointing an experienced assistant as manager got us last time.

If Rae is appointed then it would contradict what was said the the AGM about going for an experienced manager, on top of this from his wiki page (YES I KNOW!) he's been out of Scotland since leaving Dundee in 2008, perhaps that's why we're lining up Mehmet & Sutton but sometimes a candidate just blows you away at the interview stage.

I'm sure we had an orange away kit back in the '90's - must dig it out.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I think the pertinent question would be, why in the 7 years in between that gig has he never been appointed manager anywhere else ?

I know he's been assistant most usually with Paul Ince at a few jobs at MK Dons, Notts County and Blackpool and then with McLeish at Genk but it's hardly a CV glittering with any sort of success and it really concerns me that he's not been a number 1 as we all saw for ourselves wher appointing an experienced assistant as manager got us last time.

This ^^^^.

Not expecting Pep Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp to come running to Paisley, but still... What Div said.

If its Rae or JC that are the top candidates as we seem to be hearing , I would go for JC we need experience this time we can't take another chance on a chance. A drop into League 1 is a scenario I don't think we would ever recover from.

Wouldn't we be taking a chance on chance with JC.

We have a habit of appointing No 2's as managers recently

Don't know the answer to why he's not had another manager's job in that time, but is a comparison with Tommy Craig perhaps a bit unfair? Two decent seasons as manager at Dundee versus an awful six months as manager of Charleroi.

If I'm honest then I would have to admit that I have concerns about his appointment, but it's a gamble when you appoint any manager. The BOD are in a no win situation as whoever they do appoint then it won't please everyone.

Regardless of what we might think about his ability to do the job, we must give him our support as its vital we unite as one and support the club through this relegation battle.

He has more to loss than the last one, who was only wanting to top up his pension.