Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

It's disappointing (but not surprising) that this apparent speculation is being allowed to ferment on here in the absence of any formal announcement by the chairman.

The only possible excuse for this failing is perhaps Rae is in the process of seeking an assistant before the formal announcement is made.

Or maybe this latest cockup is just a bad dream!

Calderwood is not a St Mirren fan but has a proven track record of turning teams around and getting them out of trouble.

Only when he got his hands on lots of money. Both the Pars and Aberdeen ended up with huge debts after his tenure and he's really not done much since 2009. In fact two of the jobs he's had since then he's quit because they wouldn't give him any money. Kilmarnock spent heavily to stay in the SPL and had to get Billy Bowie to bail them out not long after. Given that it is the stated policy of the club not to get into debt I don't think he will have been considered.

Any manager will get my support and I hope saints win every game they play.

However...

I hear Gilmour has just been seen with Alan McGraw saying "the plan is going very well, very well indeed" followed by the kind of evil laugh that the villain in Scooby doo used to have.

Dull, uninspiring appointment again. You really cant believe a word the Chairman says anymore.

At this rate we may struggle to sell season tickets next year, the Championship novelty value long gone.

I am presently saving up for next years Season Ticket. thumbup2.gif

Guest TPAFKATS

Bad timing I suppose. Jose Mourinho became available just too late for us.

Mibees were chasing Jose now that he's available, that's why there's a delay in announcing Rae as boss

They had a chance to appoint a manager who could unite the support this is this year's equivalent of Gary Teale

And who would that have been? Folks on here couldn't agree on the colour of shite.

Rae looks to have assisted at a decent level to managers well above our pay grade.

He must be given a chance.

The thing that's really annoying is SGG's assertions at the AGM that we were getting a very experienced manager and that we shouldn't read the papers. Why say it if it's complete nonsense?

I despise Rangers more than any club in the world. I also hate Millwall. If Rae is a success I couldn't give a hoot about that.

The scariest thing about all of this is that Chico was right for once.

Guest TPAFKATS

And who would that have been? Folks on here couldn't agree on the colour of shite.

Rae looks to have assisted at a decent level to managers well above our pay grade.

He must be given a chance.

The thing that's really annoying is SGG's assertions at the AGM that we were getting a very experienced manager and that we shouldn't read the papers. Why say it if it's complete nonsense?

I despise Rangers more than any club in the world. I also hate Millwall. If Rae is a success I couldn't give a hoot about that.

The scariest thing about all of this is that Chico was right for once.

Not just chico. Mcdonald from herald was on radio shortbread on Monday morning - first name he mentioned was Alex Rae.

Seems those in the know, knew.

Us shareholders & fans are just mushrooms. Keep us in the dark and feed us bullshit.

Guest TPAFKATS

The only consolation is that we surely have the players to finish ahead of alloa, Dumbarton and livvy. And it is only till the end of the season. By then I'll have won the lottery and taken over.

I'm buying us next week with my £60m winnings from tomorrow nights euro millions.I'll sell you 25% of the club in July, however the value will have rocketed by then.

Only when he got his hands on lots of money.

Kilmarnock spent heavily to stay in the SPL and had to get Billy Bowie to bail them out not long after. Given that it is the stated policy of the club not to get into debt I don't think he will have been considered.

Not in the slightest bit true.

Calderwood brought in 3 loan signings on the 1st of February, their only player additions. They didn't spend to stay in the league.

Took over Killie in mid January who had won 16% of their games.

Win ration of 30% after this and kept them up.

Took over Ross County mid Feb when they had only won 3 games all season (12% win ratio)

40% win ratio for the rest of the season.

Edited by davidg

Only when he got his hands on lots of money. Both the Pars and Aberdeen ended up with huge debts after his tenure and he's really not done much since 2009. In fact two of the jobs he's had since then he's quit because they wouldn't give him any money. Kilmarnock spent heavily to stay in the SPL and had to get Billy Bowie to bail them out not long after. Given that it is the stated policy of the club not to get into debt I don't think he will have been considered.

Hardly had loads of money. These clubs got into debt before during and after Calderwood. With Dunfermline got them into the SPL. At Aberdeen they were challenging for Europe every season and he kept Kilmarnock and County up when they were destined for the drop. I would happily have him managing our club

Not in the slightest bit true.

Calderwood brought in 3 loan signings on the 1st of February, their only player additions. They didn't spend to stay in the league.

Took over Killie in mid January who had won 16% of their games.

Win ration of 30% after this and kept them up.

Took over Ross County mid Feb when they had only won 3 games all season (12% win ratio)

40% win ratio for the rest of the season.

Since when has that stopped any of the warmers on here ?

At the end of the day the board can't and shouldn't be judged on the merits or otherwise of the appointment until the end of the season.

If we comfortably stay up then it's been a good appointment.

If we go down it will be a terrible appointment and their shares will be worth a fiver.

If we end up in the promotion play-offs and beat Rangers at Ibrox to get promoted we will all look back at this thread and have a good old laugh

At the end of the day the board can't and shouldn't be judged on the merits or otherwise of the appointment until the end of the season.

If we go down it will be a terrible appointment and their shares will be worth a fiver.

If we end up in the promotion play-offs and beat Rangers at Ibrox to get promoted we will all look back at this thread and have a good old laugh

Yup.

Just like Murray, the appointment doesn't excite me or give me much hope but he'll get my backing.

Let's hope to feck it turns out to prove a lot of people wrong.

I was all for the first two points but when I seen "beat Rangers at Ibrox to get promoted" I nearly choked on my cuppa.

Pass the dutchie to the left hand side...

I'm surprised that so many are against this appointment. Compare his coaching pedigree to the majority of our recent managers (Hendrie, coughlin, Gus, Danny, teale, Murray) and his cv is arguably better than those.

You could argue any success those managers had were a flash in the pan and had an element of luck about them (what's gus, Danny and Hendrie done since!?). They had all only managed part time clubs before us or not managed/barely even coached previously.

Then you look at Rae, 10 years worth of coaching at a variety of different - but all good - levels and environments including managing a full time team for two years.

There must be something about him for Paul ince to have him at 3 clubs (regardless of how good ince actually is!) and MacLeish to take him to Belgium. To be fair, from that genk interview, I thought he did impress with his apparent thirst for knowledge and making himself better.

And we all know he's a hard bastard that wont take no lip from nobody!

If we had taken him at the time of any of the above mentioned managers I reckon the majority would be happy.