Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Have we even waited to see who applies for the job first or what?

This

Chic told us on Sun less than 24 hours after Murray walked

Then Gilmour tells the shareholders on Mon night they would take their time which wasn't the case

Even Richard Gordon said to Chic where did you put his name out there

Last manager job 7 years ago

Best of luck Alec,you need it working for that BOD

And we all know he's a hard bastard that wont take no lip from nobody!

Always a good thing?

From a Dundee supporter on P&B:

Alex Rae was decent for us. He was a complete disciplinarian though which led to some embarrassing incidents from the squad reacting and some hilarious pitch side encounters.

He essentially made our half decent players want to leave when their contracts were up and he simply failed to replace them with quality.

Patrick Noubissie replacing Kevin McDonald is harrowing to this day.

Always a good thing?

From a Dundee supporter on P&B:

Alex Rae was decent for us. He was a complete disciplinarian though which led to some embarrassing incidents from the squad reacting and some hilarious pitch side encounters.

He essentially made our half decent players want to leave when their contracts were up and he simply failed to replace them with quality.

Patrick Noubissie replacing Kevin McDonald is harrowing to this day.

What half decent players do we have?

Isnt it ironic that this board sacked a fellow board member for inviting a sevconian to a meeting.... But they then try to sign every ex-sevconian walking upright in one capacity or another!

Rae has more experience, and at a higher, more varied level than Meltdown had, however with the board stating clearly three days ago they would select someone with "lots of experience" they are again treating the support like mugs.

We will not start to return to the standard we should be at until this out of touch board are gone.

Lets see how we fare against Alloa now both clubs, with new management start on level pegging???

Ian Murray had more experience. It's beyond a joke

It's posts like this that do show the board are really on to plums.

Murray is 34. He played for 16 years as a Pro. He managed Dumbarton for 2 seasons before joining us.

Alex Rae is 46. He played for 23 years as a Pro. He managed Dundee for 2 seasons. He's been assistant manager at various clubs for the last 6 years.

In what way did Ian Murray have more experience. Answer. He didn't, not even close.

We were promised experience. The word "managerial" wasn't used if I remember correctly. Whilst not overly impressed with his appointment he has been involved in a managerial team for nearly 10 years.

There is a dearth of candidates at our level without taking huge risks on an experienced manager from a lower league or one who has been tried and discarded. To be honest none of the names touted by posters on here stood out as the guy for the job, apart from a few who would never have taken the job in a million years. It's very easy to knock the appointment but who else stood out for you?

Well i would have looked at someone who had done well managing a team in Scotland, Darren Young e.g. but ultimately i would have liked a bit more experience in a managerial position.

I am not going to judge anyone until i see what they can do, anyway it's not official yet.

Edited by buddiecat

Isnt it ironic that this board sacked a fellow board member for inviting a sevconian to a meeting.... But they then try to sign every ex-sevconian walking upright in one capacity or another!

Rae has more experience, and at a higher, more varied level than Meltdown had, however with the board stating clearly three days ago they would select someone with "lots of experience" they are again treating the support like mugs.

We will not start to return to the standard we should be at until this out of touch board are gone.

Lets see how we fare against Alloa now both clubs, with new management start on level pegging???

I'm surprised at you getting the knife out before the man has even sat down.

Wait, no I'm not.

And who would that have been? Folks on here couldn't agree on the colour of shite.

Rae looks to have assisted at a decent level to managers well above our pay grade.

He must be given a chance.

The thing that's really annoying is SGG's assertions at the AGM that we were getting a very experienced manager and that we shouldn't read the papers. Why say it if it's complete nonsense?

I despise Rangers more than any club in the world. I also hate Millwall. If Rae is a success I couldn't give a hoot about that.

The scariest thing about all of this is that Chico was right for once.

Sorry, what?

Rae has assisted Paul Ince, Paul Ince, Paul Ince, and then finally Alex McLeish.

At MK Dons Ince and Rae took a side that missed out on automatic promotion in League One under Robert Di Matteo by just 2 points, and within a year they'd taken them to the obscurity of 12th in League One some 20 points off a play off spot and 26 points off automatic promotion.

At Notts Couty they took over a side that had been promoted from League Two the year before. County had struggled in the new league In October 2010 Ince was appointed as manager and he took Rae with him. They both left the club in April have lost five successive league matches - the start of a run that saw Notts County suffer 9 straight defeats. Martin Allen was appointed and then rescued the club from relegation. They finished 19th that season.

Next stop was Blackpool. in 2012-13. Blackpool had just been relegated from the Premiership under Ian Holloway. Hollaway started the new season as boss and Blackpool won all of their opening matches right through to September 15th when they finally dropped a point to Burnley. Blackpool then went on the slide with four defeats and two draws in the next 7 matches. Holloway left and was replaced by Michael Appleton. He stayed until January 11th when he was appointed manager of Blackburn Rovers after going 8 matches undefeated. Then Ince and Rae came in.They didn't win a single game until March 9th. In total Ince was to win just four matches that season and that time Blackpool suffered their biggest defeat in recent memory at that time losing 6-1 to Gus Poyets Brighton side. In 2013 Blackpool started promisingly but from September 17th through to their sacking on the 21st of January they won only 2 league matches. They were replaced by Barry Ferguson and Blackpool finished the season in 19th place.

Now Alex Rae did not to bad at Dundee so I'm not saying he'll be a shit appointment. But please don't get the idea he's got some kind of great record as an assistant.

It's posts like this that do show the board are really on to plums.

Murray is 34. He played for 16 years as a Pro. He managed Dumbarton for 2 seasons before joining us.

Alex Rae is 46. He played for 23 years as a Pro. He managed Dundee for 2 seasons. He's been assistant manager at various clubs for the last 6 years.

In what way did Ian Murray have more experience. Answer. He didn't, not even close.

However the board did lead us to believe that we were looking at someone with plenty of experience. He doesn't have much managerial experience or am I missing something?

I don't think experience is that important however why would the board say this and then appoint someone with only 2 years as a manager?

I'm underwhelmed, in fact I was more positive about Murray. I hope to God I'm wrong.

The manager will get my full backing but the board don't appear to know what they're doing.

At the end of the day the board can't and shouldn't be judged on the merits or otherwise of the appointment until the end of the season.

If we comfortably stay up then it's been a good appointment.

If we go down it will be a terrible appointment and their shares will be worth a fiver.

If we end up in the promotion play-offs and beat Rangers at Ibrox to get promoted we will all look back at this thread and have a good old laugh

He really will be a miracle worker if he gets us promoted through a play off win at Ibrox.

My understanding is that the 2nd bottom team in the Premier will be in the Play-off final...

Edited by bingboy

Sorry, what?

Rae has assisted Paul Ince, Paul Ince, Paul Ince, and then finally Alex McLeish.

At MK Dons Ince and Rae took a side that missed out on automatic promotion in League One under Robert Di Matteo by just 2 points, and within a year they'd taken them to the obscurity of 12th in League One some 20 points off a play off spot and 26 points off automatic promotion.

At Notts Couty they took over a side that had been promoted from League Two the year before. County had struggled in the new league In October 2010 Ince was appointed as manager and he took Rae with him. They both left the club in April have lost five successive league matches - the start of a run that saw Notts County suffer 9 straight defeats. Martin Allen was appointed and then rescued the club from relegation. They finished 19th that season.

Next stop was Blackpool. in 2012-13. Blackpool had just been relegated from the Premiership under Ian Holloway. Hollaway started the new season as boss and Blackpool won all of their opening matches right through to September 15th when they finally dropped a point to Burnley. Blackpool then went on the slide with four defeats and two draws in the next 7 matches. Holloway left and was replaced by Michael Appleton. He stayed until January 11th when he was appointed manager of Blackburn Rovers after going 8 matches undefeated. Then Ince and Rae came in.They didn't win a single game until March 9th. In total Ince was to win just four matches that season and that time Blackpool suffered their biggest defeat in recent memory at that time losing 6-1 to Gus Poyets Brighton side. In 2013 Blackpool started promisingly but from September 17th through to their sacking on the 21st of January they won only 2 league matches. They were replaced by Barry Ferguson and Blackpool finished the season in 19th place.

Now Alex Rae did not to bad at Dundee so I'm not saying he'll be a shit appointment. But please don't get the idea he's got some kind of great record as an assistant.

So to clarify, is that better or worse than Stephen Kenny's record?