Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Bad mouthing what supporters???

What are you on about? Why dont you buy the club?

Oooohh, touched a nerve did I?

The supporters you bad mouth at almost every opportunity are those who are involved in the running of the club at present or were you thinking these were some shrewd businessmen that saw this as an opportunity to make a fast buck?

The reason I won't buy the club, other than not having the financial wherewithal, is that I have a full time job and a life outside of St Mirren and this forum which is likely hard for someone like yourself to believe, I know, so I think I'll keep my relationship running in a similar vein to the last 40 years and turn up for matches, support my team and try not to act like a spoiled child when things don't go as I'd like.

Do us all a favour and spare us the tedious response about where our BOD's "real" affiliations lie when it comes to football.

It seems baffling - at the AGM we were told it would be an experienced manager, we would take our time and Alex Miller would be in charge in the interim, literally none of those things have happened.

After watching a few interviews he at least comes across as personable - lets hope he does a decent job.

How can we get behind a manager who had the job before he was even interviewed?

.... because we have to. We have to get behind him and give him a fair go. We can mump our gums all we like about who we would have went for, who we would have wished for, or who we like or dislike... But none of us, no matter how long we have supported the club, have diddly-squat to do with club appointments, be they managerial or an interview for a new tea lady.

My hope is that Rae does us a turn, and the song becomes 'used to be a H u n but he's alright now, Alex, Alex'.... Etc.

I wished success for Ian Murray. I hoped Gary Teale could use his existing relationship with the players to inspire them. I could go back through every manager since I started supporting St Mirren, and I hoped every last one of them gave the club, and in turn gave us, a dose of the Fergie's Furies Feelgood Factor. Some did, albeit briefly. Others were abysmal. Some were OK.

Best wishes to our new manager. Good luck.

Because we have a history of paying managers more money to not manage than to actually manage!

6 month deal with a further 12 months if we can get mid-table would seems more sensible.

Exactly my view on it. Unless we were getting one of the wishful thinking suggestions like Billy Davies, it should have been a deal to the end of the season with an option to extend it. Hardly as if we'd have to push the boat out for Rae - two years as Dundee manager a while ago and then various assistant gigs. Hardly so high in demand we had to agree to exactly what we wanted.

The Rangers stuff that folk have been going on about doesn't bother me (unless some of it was sectarian/bigoted nonsense). It has to stop now though, partly because it's Rangers and partly because it's also a club in the same division. Wouldn't be happy if Agnew was praising Dumbarton and it pissed me off that Danny Grainger cared more about Hearts than us, so Rae needs to cut it out too. Binning his Twitter account might be the best thing to do for that and other reasons.

Strange appointment but hopefully it works out. We're f**ked if it doesn't.

Worth reading David Farrell's book (which is a decent read anyway) for some insight as to how he and Rae got on at Notts County and Dundee. I guess Farrell will get to give up driving the taxi for a bit and join us as the new Mark Spalding.

I'm not sure what the rush was really, given that this season is as good as over already. I'd have liked to see us gather a number of applications, sort through them thoroughly, and interview a shortlist of 3-5. Doesn't guarantee the appointment will be the right one because every new manager is a gamble, but at least you are trying to do things as thoroughly as possible to give yourselves the best chance of getting someone decent in.

Worth reading David Farrell's book (which is a decent read anyway) for some insight as to how he and Rae got on at Notts County and Dundee. I guess Farrell will get to give up driving the taxi for a bit and join us as the new Mark Spalding.

I'm not sure what the rush was really, given that this season is as good as over already. I'd have liked to see us gather a number of applications, sort through them thoroughly, and interview a shortlist of 3-5. Doesn't guarantee the appointment will be the right one because every new manager is a gamble, but at least you are trying to do things as thoroughly as possible to give yourselves the best chance of getting someone decent in.

This season is far from being 'as good as over'. Alex Rae inherits a team without a home league win and eyeing back-to-back relegations.

He needs to hit the ground running. Big time.

How does Rae come across in the book?

This season is far from being 'as good as over'. Alex Rae inherits a team without a home league win and eyeing back-to-back relegations.

He needs to hit the ground running. Big time.

I don't think we'll go down. I can't see us finishing below 3rd bottom.

In any case, it would only take a working week to interview candidates. Alex Rae can't really have much influence on tomorrow's game, so why not give the appearance at least of doing things properly?

How does Rae come across in the book?

Obviously Farrell is unlikely to bad mouth his mate (and the guy who's given him a job a couple of times)! But Farrell does makes out that Rae knows what he's doing and that they did a pretty good job at Dundee given the financial situation.

A good appointment, passionate about football with decent experience and seems very keen about the job.

He has taken the job as he is confident in taking the club forward and climb up the league, if you remember back Ian Murray decided to take the job only because he and his family were offered a cup of tea

Not the experienced manager that you were looking for

like the poster above stated if it does not work you are in the third tier

At least he will have a transfer window to try and sort things out and unlike Teale and teh fact that he does not have a good player to lose on the last day.

I don't think that things will change this side of the new year but fingers crossed you might make a late push for 4th spot after the New year and hopefully a decent cup run

A good appointment, passionate about football with decent experience and seems very keen about the job.

He has taken the job as he is confident in taking the club forward and climb up the league, if you remember back Ian Murray decided to take the job only because he and his family were offered a cup of tea

It was Andy Webster that got the tea.

Not the experienced manager that you were looking for

like the poster above stated if it does not work you are in the third tier

At least he will have a transfer window to try and sort things out and unlike Teale and teh fact that he does not have a good player to lose on the last day.

I don't think that things will change this side of the new year but fingers crossed you might make a late push for 4th spot after the New year and hopefully a decent cup run

Who's you?