Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Obviously Farrell is unlikely to bad mouth his mate (and the guy who's given him a job a couple of times)! But Farrell does makes out that Rae knows what he's doing and that they did a pretty good job at Dundee given the financial situation.

Fair enough. Cheers.

Rae comes across as a bit of a disciplinarian, so I just wondered if that was referred to in the book. As you say though, he's not going to slag off his mate.

I'm not sure what the rush was really, given that this season is as good as over already.

I think we needed a new manager now because;

1) We need wins, urgently. We're far from safe and the season is far from over.

2) There is still an outside, tiny, remote chance we could catch 4th IF we can get ourselves sorted out

3) We've still got the Scottish Cup to come. Tough first tie but you never know, again IF we can get motoring

4) January window opens in a fortnight. The manager has a couple of weeks to review where are and make plans

5) We f**ked about this time last year and look how that ended up

Certainly wouldn't have been my choice of manager, but wish him all the best and will get right behind him regardless.

It seems like a lot of the people who are criticising his appointment are the same ones who were praising Ian Murrays appointment. Let's hope they're as right about this appointment as they were about that one.

The truth is there's no real way of telling if any managerial appointment is going to work or not. There's only one way to find out, and that's to wait and see. His remit for the rest of the season is simply to keep us up, if he does that he will have succeeded.

It's hard to imagine us getting any worse than we were under Murray, he was without doubt the worst Saints manager I've ever seen. If Rae can improve us even slightly that should be enough to keep us up.

I don't know much about him but on the surface he seems like a bit of a straight talking hard man character, which isn't a bad thing and may be just what this squad needs. He certainly has plenty of experience playing and coaching down south so that can't be a bad thing.

He says he's going to be in the dugout tomorrow, so his first two games will be Alloa away and Livi at home. The only two teams who have been worse than us this season, he couldn't have asked for an easier start on paper.

As I have with every other manager during my time following St Mirren, I will give Alex Rae a chance before jumping down his throat before a ball has even been kicked.

Until he displays insufficient qualities to manage our team I will back him.

Welcome to the club Alex and good luck for the season.

It was important I feel to get this sorted before January 1. It gives Rae a chance to assess what he has, compile a list of who he wants out and would give him an idea of what he has to work with in the transfer market come January. It's better this than chose someone a month down the line and only give them a fortnight to try and put their stamp on the squad.

To me the squad lacks a bit of discipline and confidence. Hopefully Rae will weed out the weak links and make us a hardworking, organised unit. I like what Ludo has said.

I thought Murray was a good appointment, my first instinct was absoloute horror at the thought of Alex Rae but maybe it will be a masterstroke. Surely we can only get better!! These last two years have been torture!!

I think Rae will do OK you know. Despite the results and league position I think St Mirren have a decent squad and that it just needs someone to pull the team together and to give them a bit of belief. I think there were better options for St Mirren but at least Rae is unlikely to tolerate any interference from the board.

He's an ex Sunderland player and a good one at that so I'll wish him all the best.

It seems like a lot of the people who are criticising his appointment are the same ones who were praising Ian Murrays appointment. Let's hope they're as right about this appointment as they were about that one.

Think it was just Lord Pityme and myself who criticised the appointment of Murray.

The rest of the happy clapping sheep on tho forum all praised the appointment.

As far as I know, the Lord also thinks this is a terrible appointment... And I agree with him.

I work with a guy who is a Dundee fan and he reckons Rae did pretty decent with them whilst he was there and that apparently he is very good with the younger players.

He probably wouldn't have been top of my list of candidates, but given the way things have gone so far I'm looking forward to the second half of the campaign.

Think it was just Lord Pityme and myself who criticised the appointment of Murray.

As far as I know, the Lord also thinks this is a terrible appointment... And I agree with him.

I was against Murray appointment too. I don't think Rae is as bad. I'd class how I feel about it as the same way I felt about Lennon or McPherson. Hardly an inspired choice but he should be able to do OK.

There were better options IMO, especially in terms of having the kind of person you'd trust to restructure the whole club but Rae will keep St Mirren up and will probably get the club competitive in this division for next season.

clap2.gif

By the "Happy Clapping Sheep on the Forum" do you mean the fans who are prepared to give everyone a chance to see what they can do rather than be completely consumed by their own negativity about absolutely everything to do with the club they apparently "support" ?

If so, I'm one of those sheep and I'm proud of it.

I genuinely wouldn't go to another game if St.Mirren made me as unhappy as it appears to do to some people. Why f**king bother if all it does is make you moan and whine CONSTANTLY.