Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

I think Rae will get us fighting and improve results, not sure about a play off place though. I hope he brings in a few players in January to strengthen the squad and move some players on. I like the fact that he wants to be right in there from the start and be at the dugout for tomorrow's game, i also hope to see the passion from the sidelines rubbing off on the players.

Think play off place is pie in the sky. For us to get that we would need to be in Championship winning form for the rest of the season, and I certainly can't see that happening.

To be honest I would take 8th and a cup run now.

The rest of the campaign should be geared toward making sure we don't get relegated and building towards a promotion push next season.

Edited by TopCat

Looking back to all our managers for the last 40 years or so, and I don't think anyone of them got me excited when the news was announce. My reaction to most of them would have been FFS or Who. Now some were great, some were good, some were so so and some were dire. Has anybody thought f ing great, that the guy I wanted to any of our previous managers ?

Yep I did. Alex Smith was the guy I wanted when there was a vacancy created by Alex Miller leaving to go to Hibs. I was even more excited when I heard he was to be assisted by Jimmy Bone. And while the St Mirren board wrong footed a lot of people, including me, when they appointed Tom Hendrie it was an appointment that excited me right from the off. I also thought that RIcky McFarlane was the right choice when he was finally named the manager after a good run of results with him as caretaker when Jim Clunie had been sacked.

They're probably the only three though throughout that time and others will hold their own opinions on how successful they were as manager.

If others aren't being heavily revisionist when answering this then I think they would admit there were a hell of a lot of St Mirren fans who were delighted when Tony Fitzpatrick was given the job for the first time. Personally I thought it had come too early for him, but I can remember the cheers at Love Street when him and McGarvey were revealed as the new management team.

I hope he has changed his opinion as a pundit saying that no team in this league are capable of taking points off Sevco or Hibs for the rest of the season. As the St Mirren manager I hope he expects his team to be competing with these clubs and taking points were possible from them.

He certainly came across in his interview earlier as a driven motivated type, who will hopefully get his players in that frame of mind. He certainly appears more up for it than Murray was. I felt he was always too laid back and drab sounding.

When he refers to the St Mirren "narrative" it will then, and only then, be time to have him taken out.

"In the grand scheme of things" i agree with you "it's interesting" how these phrases have "become the norm" "in manager speak"

I cringe when fannies drop them into a conversation as if they come naturally, seriously they must sit down and think how they will get them into their speeches and think how important it makes them sound - not impressed

Don't like him, he uses that god awful buzz "going forward" it should be banned.

Don't like him, he uses that god awful buzz "going forward" it should be banned.

There's more than a wee hint of a scary man lurking within. I see plenty good cop bad cop outa him on his own. Strikes me as a no feckin nonsense type, fairly straight up, simmering aggression in there. Time for fun and a time for some baw bootin.

Get into them a bit, maybe ship some on, erm, hmmmm, I wonder who ?

"In the grand scheme of things" i agree with you "it's interesting" how these phrases have "become the norm" "in manager speak"

I cringe when fannies drop them into a conversation as if they come naturally, seriously they must sit down and think how they will get them into their speeches and think how important it makes them sound - not impressed

Start an answer to a question with "so......", and I might have to throw myself in front of a train.

There's more than a wee hint of a scary man lurking within. I see plenty good cop bad cop outa him on his own. Strikes me as a no feckin nonsense type, fairly straight up, simmering aggression in there. Time for fun and a time for some baw bootin.

Get into them a bit, maybe ship some on, erm, hmmmm, I wonder who ?

There's a balance to be struck, though. Watching Jack Baird on Saturday, I thought he looked completely spooked later in the game. An arm round the shoulder, and a few reassuring words of advice/guidance can sometimes have a more effective outcome than a bomb up the arse. Depends on the player and circumstance. Let's hope Rae can strike that balance.

Whilst wishing and hoping that Rae is a success, it is beyond contempt the way this board treat the other near half sharholders and support.

Was that all,just lies on Monday night? Or are they really so stupid as to interview just ONE person for the job given the shit appointments they have madeusing the same Russian Roulette selection process.... Do they really give so little of a f**k how this looks, and how they are seen?

Whilst wishing and hoping that Rae is a success, it is beyond contempt the way this board treat the other near half sharholders and support.

Was that all,just lies on Monday night? Or are they really so stupid as to interview just ONE person for the job given the shit appointments they have madeusing the same Russian Roulette selection process.... Do they really give so little of a f**k how this looks, and how they are seen?

Well, I can't imagine any of them giving a f**k what you think about it so you can stand down.

I agree that he spoke well in the interview. Seems to have a no nonsense approach, came across as being capable and a good motivator.

But, ultimately he needs to start racking up the points.

This. We need WINS. At home would be a start but regardless, we need to start winning games of football. Quickly.

I was reading Farrell's book tonight, skipped forward to the Dundee part. Was very interesting.

Dundee were having a hopeless time at home and the first thing Rae did was narrow the pitch. He made it narrower and shorter as visiting teams were ripping Dundee apart on it. It worked. Their home form improved dramatically.

They did however lose their first 4 games in charge before the team turned the corner and started winning and they ended up 3rd. The next season they finished with 69 points which would have won the league the season before and the season after but only managed to get 2nd place because Hamilton had such a good campaign.

Injuries and the loss of key players in the 3rd season hampered them and they were sacked when 9 points off the top of the league in October.

Alex Rae was also interviewed for the managers job at Millwall when he was at Dundee, made it to the last two but the Lions opted to give the gig to Kenny Jackett instead.