Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Great start from the new manager. Time for people to get over themselves and get behind the team again. If Saints can be a stepping stone for greater things then that would be ideal for both parties. It didn't work with IM and it would now appear the correct decision has been made that a new man was needed.

AR has been respectful and talked up the club in the last week, he has made it clear that he wants to assess things with a hands on approach, comes across well in his interviews and for all the clamour to slate his allegiances as long as he continues to win and treat our club and all associated with it with respect then what is the problem?

Some are never happier (at least it would appear from on here) than when they are miserable and pointing out all that is wrong with our club. Time to support again and give the new man a chance. The board have got plenty wrong with their appointments recently, but have they honestly done it to alienate the fan base? Have they done it to run the club down and devalue their investment and time spent on saving it? Some posters really need to have a long hard look at themselves, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, you are either too young or too deluded to realise how bad things were in the 90s both on and off the field. Yes it would be great to be back in Europe chasing the glory days of the late 70s and early to mid 90s, but financial prudence off the field has secured our future. We could have been just like Clydebank with a decision to make as to whether to support Thistle, Morton or Dumbarton or give up football outright.

Yes new ideas and fan engagement would be nice at times. Yes a united vision for our future would be great. Yes a better product on the pitch would make most of us a lot happier about Saints in general, but just simply get back to supporting the club and giving the new man a chance. If it doesn't work and he is mince judge him on that and what changes you see on the pitch, but so far its 3 points out of three, a few encouraging interviews, a clean sheet, two up top and not capitulating when we took the lead.

y

We are where we are because of the board'sdecisions! Not the fans, not the players but the board's... Hopefully Rae crack on, but he will be hindered like his predecessors.

y

We are where we are because of the board'sdecisions! Not the fans, not the players but the board's... Hopefully Rae crack on, but he will be hindered like his predecessors.

You still have a club to support. We have a great 'infrastructure' apparently. An amazing opportunity and quite a few resources that other clubs around us don't have...hampered by sailing a bit further from the wind than you would like? Remind me how that went in the late 80's and early 90's after winning the Scottish Cup...

y

Hindered by having a budget to follow I assume you mean. Just how hindered was Danny? He spent cash on some players and brought in a mixture of pish, decent and good then released a fair proportion of them early. Craig wasn't exactly hindered and most managers at this level would crawl over broken glass to get the resources afforded to Murray. But no, they've all been hindered by a board who won't go in to debt.

post_online.png TsuMirren

Posted Yesterday, 23:54

But no, they've all been hindered by a board who won't go in to debt.

The post was fine until you got to this line.............................

Tell me would you go into debt personally on the back of your hobby or a business that isn't your main source of income and one that you have little chance of ensuring that it will be a success?

Edited by The Original 59er

Tell me would you go into debt personally on the back of your hobby or a business that isn't your main source of income and one that you have little chance of ensuring that it will be a success?

I don't think it was intended as a criticism, or suggestion that they should go into debt.

Great start from the new manager. Time for people to get over themselves and get behind the team again. If Saints can be a stepping stone for greater things then that would be ideal for both parties. It didn't work with IM and it would now appear the correct decision has been made that a new man was needed.

AR has been respectful and talked up the club in the last week, he has made it clear that he wants to assess things with a hands on approach, comes across well in his interviews and for all the clamour to slate his allegiances as long as he continues to win and treat our club and all associated with it with respect then what is the problem?

Some are never happier (at least it would appear from on here) than when they are miserable and pointing out all that is wrong with our club. Time to support again and give the new man a chance. The board have got plenty wrong with their appointments recently, but have they honestly done it to alienate the fan base? Have they done it to run the club down and devalue their investment and time spent on saving it? Some posters really need to have a long hard look at themselves, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, you are either too young or too deluded to realise how bad things were in the 90s both on and off the field. Yes it would be great to be back in Europe chasing the glory days of the late 70s and early to mid 80s, but financial prudence off the field has secured our future. We could have been just like Clydebank with a decision to make as to whether to support Thistle, Morton or Dumbarton or give up football outright.

Yes new ideas and fan engagement would be nice at times. Yes a united vision for our future would be great. Yes a better product on the pitch would make most of us a lot happier about Saints in general, but just simply get back to supporting the club and giving the new man a chance. If it doesn't work and he is mince judge him on that and what changes you see on the pitch, but so far its 3 points out of three, a few encouraging interviews, a clean sheet, two up top and not capitulating when we took the lead.

Hard to disagree with the sentiments from above, but would you agree that for the fans to be urged to get behind the team when it is badly needed....get the pricing correct !! Its far too much to charge £20 to watch second division stuff !

I don't think it was intended as a criticism, or suggestion that they should go into debt.

It wasn't, Drew.. :)

Hindered by having a budget to follow I assume you mean. Just how hindered was Danny? He spent cash on some players and brought in a mixture of pish, decent and good then released a fair proportion of them early. Craig wasn't exactly hindered and most managers at this level would crawl over broken glass to get the resources afforded to Murray. But no, they've all been hindered by a board who won't go in to debt.

Who mentioned going into debt? Just you as far as I can see.

Rae will be hindered like his predecessors over the last six years as the board have blocked any investment into the club by forming a consortium that prevents near half the shareholders having an appropriate influence and input into how we are run.

Is it "Prudent" to block nearly half the clubs owners from getting involved? Its corporate suicide to box yourself in for so many years.

Last season for me buying a season ticket.

I take it you'll be changing your forum name as well then? fan4TheNextFewMonths is available ;)

Seriously, I don't expect to renew my season ticket next season either tbh. I take the kids and they just sit playing on their iPads for the duration of the game. Can't say I blame them but it's a waste of time and money. The highlight is by far and away the pie & bovril. Hopefully the next few months will be far more enjoyable and I'll change my mind.

Certainly wouldn't have been my choice of manager, but wish him all the best and will get right behind him regardless.

It seems like a lot of the people who are criticising his appointment are the same ones who were praising Ian Murrays appointment. Let's hope they're as right about this appointment as they were about that one.

The truth is there's no real way of telling if any managerial appointment is going to work or not. There's only one way to find out, and that's to wait and see. His remit for the rest of the season is simply to keep us up, if he does that he will have succeeded.

It's hard to imagine us getting any worse than we were under Murray, he was without doubt the worst Saints manager I've ever seen. If Rae can improve us even slightly that should be enough to keep us up.

I don't know much about him but on the surface he seems like a bit of a straight talking hard man character, which isn't a bad thing and may be just what this squad needs. He certainly has plenty of experience playing and coaching down south so that can't be a bad thing.

He says he's going to be in the dugout tomorrow, so his first two games will be Alloa away and Livi at home. The only two teams who have been worse than us this season, he couldn't have asked for an easier start on paper.

Totally disagree TC

On paper these are two teams that we have to beat and are expected two. One down one to go

Who mentioned going into debt? Just you as far as I can see.

Rae will be hindered like his predecessors over the last six years as the board have blocked any investment into the club by forming a consortium that prevents near half the shareholders having an appropriate influence and input into how we are run.

Is it "Prudent" to block nearly half the clubs owners from getting involved? Its corporate suicide to box yourself in for so many years.

It's not the only club where a group have a controlling interest. Away Google it a bit then pick another random reason to prattle on.

It's not the only club where a group have a controlling interest. Away Google it a bit then pick another random reason to prattle on.

Well thats makes all the boards crap decisions of late ok then.

How many clubs in your Google search have been hamstrung because for over six years a consortium have been trying to sell at a price no one wants to pay?

The other. 48% of shareholders saved the club too... But some people want to brush that under the carpet.

Well thats makes all the boards crap decisions of late ok then.

How many clubs in your Google search have been hamstrung because for over six years a consortium have been trying to sell at a price no one wants to pay?

The other. 48% of shareholders saved the club too... But some people want to brush that under the carpet.

I'm not brushing anything, but to be honest with you I just find it insane to think it's really that much of an issue. If there were investors just waiting with a few hundred thousand to throw in then why didn't they step up around the time of 10000 Hours? They could have enabled taking the club on, they could have assisted with driving everything forward. I'm also not saying the decisions have all been okay, appointing Tommy Craig was absolute bloody madness for example.

For all the that's pish, this costs too much or even where's the money gone rhetoric. We still have a club, we're still professional and the future is far from worrying. Admittedly, I really don't understand why the club still isn't sold as the vast majority of other clubs sold recently have been done so relatively quickly. I'm also not stupid enough to believe the board haven't seen some of their money back already.

I'm not brushing anything, but to be honest with you I just find it insane to think it's really that much of an issue. If there were investors just waiting with a few hundred thousand to throw in then why didn't they step up around the time of 10000 Hours? They could have enabled taking the club on, they could have assisted with driving everything forward. I'm also not saying the decisions have all been okay, appointing Tommy Craig was absolute bloody madness for example.

For all the that's pish, this costs too much or even where's the money gone rhetoric. We still have a club, we're still professional and the future is far from worrying. Admittedly, I really don't understand why the club still isn't sold as the vast majority of other clubs sold recently have been done so relatively quickly. I'm also not stupid enough to believe the board haven't seen some of their money back already.

Perhaps what you arent seeing is 52% of the shareholders, have locked out any input, investment or ideas from 48% of the shareholders!

My point is, and remains can a club with the financial constraints of St Mirren endure that for six years and counting without it damaging the club?

One only has to measure our decline in the last six years to get a read on that.

No matter how much the dear Lord thinks that we are hamstrung by the 52%, the reality is that there isn't anyone out there who wants to take St Mirren over, pay the 52% a bit of money for their shares and then go into debt to 'invest' in a suburban, peripheral football club that has an average gate of around 4,000 people, many of whom are die hards and a few are moaning gits.

We are stuck with what we have got and I keep coming back to the premise that they should withdraw the shares from the market, stabilise the club from within and with a little luck have a little success, which then may engender some misguided sole to part with some hard earned (or immoral) earnings and take a wee gamble.

In amongst all the media stuff today from Rae there's some interesting quotes:

"There are the dynamics behind the scenes which maybe impact some things. That's out of my control.

"One or two things haven't gone my way the last couple of days. Youou can't sit here and moan and groan, however. I'm of the opinion I've got to keep upbeat and positive.

"I'm not even going to go into that. I'll deal with it internally."

"There are the dynamics behind the scenes which maybe impact some things. That's out of my control.

"One or two things haven't gone my way the last couple of days. Youou can't sit here and moan and groan, however. I'm of the opinion I've got to keep upbeat and positive.

Oh dear. That doesn't bode well. Hopefully it is just journalistic meddling (nae offence....).

ETA - it is up to the BoD to ensure that the manager has adequate scope to manage. "Dynamics behind the scenes"? What does that even mean? Players at the fanny? The BoD vetoing the new manager - they appointed - before he has even been measured up for his club suit.

Again, let's hope it is nothing of consequence.

Edited by Drew

What was the context of the last comment? What is he going to deal with internally?

The AGM patter was that the BoD give the manager a budget and it's up to him how he spends it. It would seem strange that Rae accepted the post without clarifying who his assistant would be?

Interesting comments for him to make at his unveiling though! He seems to suggest that there are some issues that he can't do anything about, and others that he can.

I cannot believe there are any internal dynamics at play within a club who have a want-away BoD who still cannot get out after six years, have just lost their long-term CEO, go through managers like we go through hot dinners, are struggling down the bottom of the second tier, and have a clearly imbalanced squad with loanees and ageing legends and no money to spend.

I simply do not believe it. Surely Mr Rae knew everything was just fine and dandy on the good ship St Mirren?

Internal dynamics, how very dare you.

Wonder if he's been told he can't bring in Farrell as his assistant?

....which, I think, would be a shame.

And perhaps a false economy.

Lord pm won't like that... unsure.png

Given how things were put across at the AGM I imagine he's been told, this is the budget use it how you see fit.

If you want an assistant, it will have to come out of the budget you've been given.

So it will probably be Rae's choice I imagine.