Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Wouldn't have been my first choice as the new manager, however, he could be the exact type of no nonsense figure we need at the club.

We've had a soft touch in Danny, Tommy, Gary and Ian Murray. I can't see Alex Rae taking any shite off the players.

I think if we give Alex a chance he could do a decent job. He's now the manager of St. Mirren, so we need to back him and give him the support any new appointment deserves!

COYS!!

I don't think these people were soft touches Danny Lennon certainly wasn't

I want a manager who can spot a player and use his budget wisely,can read a game and change things when not going to plan.

This pish about ruling with a rod of iron is old hat and went out with Jock Wallace

I mean a guy gets a job without being interviewed first

Mr Rae doesn't need to much to be an improvement on the previous managers

Totally pish again amateur hour again from the BOD

How can we get behind a manager who had the job before he was even interviewed?

I had the same question but div has stated that he's pretty sure he had been interviewed earlier this week and probably been sounded out for a while given the fact that Chico mentioned his name on Sunday day after murrays resignation

How can we get behind a manager who had the job before he was even interviewed?

You don't really think this morning was the first time the board have spoken to Alex Rae, then magically offered him the job just a couple of hours later do you?

Chick Young mentioned his name last Sunday, the bookies had him in to 1/5 by Wednesday, Jimmy Calderwood admitted that as far as he was concerned Rae was getting the job, the Sun tweeted out yesterday that he was a cert to get the job.

I've absolutely no info on the process that was went through but it strikes me that the board had already started to sound out targets even before Murray walked last weekend. Perhaps today was the first face to face, but there must have been conversations had before for all of the above to have come out.

Anyway, who cares, he's our new manager now and that's really all that matters.

The Board owe the fans an explanation and an apology as to how Chico could announce last Sunday that Rae was likely to get the job five days before he was apparently interviewed, with Rae stating himself that no-one from the club had even spoken to him.

Are St Mirren the only club that go about their business like this?

In what way does Rae meet Gilmour's criteria of an experienced manager as reported to the shareholders at the AGM on Monday evening?

If I was a shareholder and attended the AGM, I would be asking for a few answers. Yes, the guy is the new manager, and I wish him every success, but does the way the club go about its business always have to be laced with a huge portion of f**kwittery?

You don't really think this morning was the first time the board have spoken to Alex Rae, then magically offered him the job just a couple of hours later do you?

Chick Young mentioned his name last Sunday, the bookies had him in to 1/5 by Wednesday, Jimmy Calderwood admitted that as far as he was concerned Rae was getting the job, the Sun tweeted out yesterday that he was a cert to get the job.

I've absolutely no info on the process that was went through but it strikes me that the board had already started to sound out targets even before Murray walked last weekend. Perhaps today was the first face to face, but there must have been conversations had before for all of the above to have come out.

Anyway, who cares, he's our new manager now and that's really all that matters.

Yeah, for such an important decision, you don't get the prize for just turning up.I believe there has maybe been recommendations put the boards way to a man who wouldn't be hard to deal with, wouldn't mind a short term contract and has more balls about him to gain respect in the dressing room.

Yes he hasn't managed in 7 years, but he hasn't been out the game for long either.

Let's back the new man, give him ample time to settle in and hopefully we turn this season around under his leadership.

COYS

Calderwood in the papers saying he would be interested in the job but says he heard Rae already had it sewn up. Disappointed he never got an interview as I feel he would have been a great appointment but until I am appointed chairman and get to make the decision I am willing to give Rae a chance and get behind him

The Board owe the fans an explanation and an apology as to how Chico could announce last Sunday that Rae was likely to get the job five days before he was apparently interviewed, with Rae stating himself that no-one from the club had even spoken to him.

In what way does Rae meet Gilmour's criteria of an experienced manager as reported to the shareholders at the AGM on Monday evening?

Probably not.

The board seem happy to take the other half of the shareholders and the support for mugs. Hell mend them!

If the BoD had any sense they would have been looking for a replacement for some time. I do not for a second believe they only started waiting for applications from Saturday evening. Would not surprise me if wee Chico was the go-between so both Club and Rae could honestly say they had not spoken to each other. They also needed a few days 'to get applications and interview' so as it did not look like a stitch up which it probably was and to some extent I do not blame them for their actions however they should not have made a statement at the AGM as to what they were looking for.

Now he is here I shall back him as long as he does not give Gow an extension to his contract.

When do you think the BOD realised they needed a new manager = wasn't last week me thinks - probably when AM came in

If the BoD had any sense they would have been looking for a replacement for some time. I do not for a second believe they only started waiting for applications from Saturday evening. Would not surprise me if wee Chico was the go-between so both Club and Rae could honestly say they had not spoken to each other. They also needed a few days 'to get applications and interview' so as it did not look like a stitch up which it probably was and to some extent I do not blame them for their actions however they should not have made a statement at the AGM as to what they were looking for.

Now he is here I shall back him as long as he does not give Gow an extension to his contract.

It may have escaped your notice the terminal decline that has set into the club since this board chucked it and cut out all the other shareholders (despite having gentlemens agreements with some to the contrary) ?

Or mobbaes you believe they are pulling off one master stroke after the other? Diffrent strokes for different folks suppose....

I'm blissfully unaware of the internecine politics behind the scenes over the last few years and, as I'm only interested in what happens between 3 and 4.45pm on a Saturday generally, what "strokes" the BOD are pulling off doesn't get much of my attention.

Now, I don't know you or how close you are to the going on behind the scenes but I would say this, your constant negativity around everyone and everything connected with the club is so predictable that it simply strips any argument you're making of any credibility.

There is always the option though of putting your money where your mouth is and then having a real opportunity to affect the direction of the club instead of constantly bad mouthing the supporters who have already done so.

Just saying.

Edited by DLBud

I think the fans were genuinely divided about whether Gus should stay or go, they were genuinely divided about whether Danny should stay or go, and I also think they were divided when Tommy was given the gig.

Murray seemed to unite *most* of the fans but the one thing everyone seemed pretty unanimous on was him getting the tin tack.

It's a fresh start again. We don't get to choose the managerm, all we can do is hope it works out.

As I said last night, if it fails and we get relegated again then the board will be writing off hundreds of thousands off their shares and may as well forget about selling up so this is a big call from them too.

The point I was making is the fans were disappointed in Tommy Craig's appointment but they all got behind him. I've yet to meet anyone who was happy at his appointment.

The fans will get behind him, the important thing is that the players get right behind him. That's the most important thing and the thing that's been lacking for at least 18 months.

From BBC .....

St Mirren: Alex Rae to succeed Ian Murray as manager

Former Scotland midfielder Alex Rae has agreed to become St Mirren manager.

The 46-year-old, who met the Scottish Championship club's board on Friday morning, succeeds Ian Murray, who resigned on Saturday.

Rae has been out of work since leaving Genk in the summer, having been assistant manager to Alex McLeish at the Belgian top-flight club.

It will be his second stint as a manager in his own right, having had a two-year spell at Dundee from 2006.

That was also in Scotland's second tier and he takes over in Paisley with the Buddies sitting third bottom ahead of Saturday's visit to bottom side Alloa Athletic.

Murray's six-month reign ended after a defeat by Dumbarton, the club he left in the summer to replace Gary Teale, who was sacked following St Mirren's relegation from the top flight.

Rae was appointed player-manager at Dens Park in May 2006 and they finished third then second in the old First Division in his first two seasons in charge.

However, having already retired from playing, he was sacked as manager in October 2008 with his side sitting eighth in the table.

He joined Milton Keynes Dons as first-team coach under Paul Ince and then moved to Notts County and Blackpool as assistant manager to the former England midfielder.

After Ince was sacked in January 2014, Rae teamed up with McLeish at Genk until the former Scotland manager left the Belgian club in the summer.

Rae's playing career began with Falkirk and he subsequently was on the books of Millwall, Sunderland, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Rangers before he joined Dundee.

He briefly revived his playing career as cover for injuries while with MK Dons.

EDIT TO ADD: Our own OS has not yet mentioned we have a new manager but media outlets have ......

Edited by Sonny

Might travel through to Alloa tomorrow for the relegation battle of the new managers!

Here's hoping Rae can actually field an organised, disciplined competitive side? Seems a lot to ask I know, but this board have f**king crippled the club with dire appointments. Hopefully Rae can buck the trend now the '***-t" for another ex sevconinan is over.