Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Might as well have given it to Thompson and Goodwin until the end of the season and finally answer the question 'Do they have what it takes to manage St Mirren'.

When Murray was appointed, I could at least see what the board were trying. Whether Dumbarton's goals against column had slipped, or whether Jack Ross had a bigger role than we realised - didn't matter so much when compared to the overall picture which was a young manager who had kept up a team that appeared dead and buried, then had them as Scotland's top rated part-time team. What could this young up-and-comer do with a better squad, a full time squad, and great facilities and a lapsed support ready to turn out again if only a real sense of 'something happening' could be achieved. The BoD went external, cut the internal bump-ups, and I am convinced they saw something that made them think Murray might not be another Sir Grumpy of Ferguson, but maybe another Alex Neil type - who did the business and was poached by a bigger club.

I will never criticise the BoD for giving Murray the chance... I could see what they were attempting. To my eyes, it made sense at the time. To my eyes, Murray looked the right man at the right time and we needed a shot in the arm, a fresh outside candidate. Turned out to be the worst St Mirren manager I have ever had the misfortune to see. One must wonder though, how much of that is down to a squad of players, many of whom have now seen off a few managers and appear somewhat unable to give much of a fcuk.

So, working on the theory that I could understand the Murray appointment, and it worked out shit.... This is an appointment that has me thinking only one thing.... FFS. Alex Rae. What the fcuk is going on in that want-away, tired, out of ideas boardroom.... So, maybe it'll work out great.

Hold on until I get one more 'FFS' out of my system.... Here it comes... FFS. Jesus wept...

Edited by pozbaird

Answer this question

We have rangers last game of the season we need points to stay up and rangers need points to win the league with Rae on such a short contract and him bring a major bluenose I would not be confident

Just sums gilmour And co up

I put my season ticket money every year in and travel to slmost every away game and get even more lies

I genuinely don't understand this. I'm not really wanting to get on the new guys back, but the BoD and gilmour in particular want to stop making claims they can't see out. That's twice in a year now we have been promised a manager which hasn't been followed up on. A wheeler dealer last year and an experienced head this time.

What a joke they are becoming.

Might as well have given it to Thompson and Goodwin until the end of the season and finally answer the question 'Do they have what it takes to manage St Mirren'.

When Murray was appointed, I could at least see what the board were trying. Whether Dumbarton's goals against column had slipped, or whether Jack Ross had a bigger role than we realised - didn't matter so much when compared to the overall picture which was a young manager who had kept up a team that appeared dead and buried, then had them as Scotland's top rated part-time team. What could this young up-and-comer do with a better squad, a full time squad, and great facilities and a lapsed support ready to turn out again if only a real sense of 'something happening' could be achieved. The BoD went external, cut the internal bump-ups, and I am convinced they saw something that made them think Murray might not be another Sir Grumpy of Ferguson, but maybe another Alex Neil type - who did the business and was poached by a bigger club.

I will never criticise the BoD for giving Murray the chance... I could see what they were attempting. To my eyes, it made sense at the time. To my eyes, Murray looked the right man at the right time and we needed a shot in the arm, a fresh outside candidate. Turned out to be the worst St Mirren manager I have ever had the misfortune to see. One must wonder though, how much of that is down to a squad of players, many of whom have now seen off a few managers and appear somewhat unable to give much of a fcuk.

So, working on the theory that I could understand the Murray appointment, and it worked out shit.... This is an appointment that has me thinking only one thing.... FFS. Alex Rae. What the fcuk is going on in that want-away, tired, out of ideas boardroom.... So, maybe it'll work out great.

Hold on until I get one more 'FFS' out of my system.... Here it comes... FFS. Jesus wept...

Jesus I've got my work cut out here for cynicism, think I'll just leave the crown with you pozbaird

more or less what you posted when Alex Miller replaced Spalding

I gave Miller the benefit of the doubt considering the bounce the club got when he first became manager in the 80s. Rae will have fire in his belly and is the type that will be looking to make a name for himself. I'm quite excited at the prospect of Rae trying to turn thing round for us on the field !

Strange days (© The Doors - There Is A Store Where The Creatures Meet). I was not for giving Murray the job as I thought it was too big a gamble but I backed him for a day or two until he signed Gow. And just when you think Strange Days are over we do it again .....

Rae is a really weird appointment. Out of management for yonks and little experience under his belt before that when it is obvious to me we need someone experienced in there. Reluctantly I will back him until he gives Gow an extension but I would have preferred Teale over Rae. I hope I am very wrong.

PS: Maybe SG is just testing fans' reaction before making a final decision! We can but hope. :)

Edited by Sonny

I say give SG and the BoD a bit of credit if Alex Rae is to be our new manager.

After repeatedly cocking-up with such a long string of wishy-washy appointments I'm pleased they have introduced a no-nonsense character into the manager's office at SMP. In a long career as a player Rae showed toughness and commitment on the park. No shirking from him, he was as hard as nails and knew he a particular job to do.

Right now we desperately need a tough disciplinarian at the helm. If Rae approaches this difficult challenge with the same attitude he had as a player I can see a lot of prima donnas being slapped down or shown the exit.

Bring on the revolution !!

I keep reading we need a manager with experience - I'm not convinced - did Gus - Tom Hendre or Alex Ferguson come to us with much experience? No!? But they were successful for us ....... We need someone who will come in a kick arse - maybe thats Alex Rae's strength ?

I'm not interested in anyone with a "vision" just someone with an initial short term plan to get us out of the shit and give us something to build on - hopefully Alex Rae will be more successful than Coughlin / Murray / Hay / Craig et al!

I say give SG and the BoD a bit of credit if Alex Rae is to be our new manager.

After repeatedly cocking-up with such a long string of wishy-washy appointments I'm pleased they have introduced a no-nonsense character into the manager's office at SMP. In a long career as a player Rae showed toughness and commitment on the park. No shirking from him, he was as hard as nails and knew he a particular job to do.

Right now we desperately need a tough disciplinarian at the helm. If Rae approaches this difficult challenge with the same attitude he had as a player I can see a lot of prima donnas being slapped down or shown the exit.

Bring on the revolution !!

Should have gave it to goody then....