Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Odd, very odd. Murray chucks it Saturday and we are immediately told Miller and Langfield were holding the fort. Wee Chico was able to mention Rae's name the day after Murray was punted and the chairman next day said we would take our time and appoint an experienced manager. 72 hours later and the same day as Rae says he hasn't been approached, we hear Rae is the new man til the end of the season. All during this time line Rae is backed off the boards to be appointed despite the utterances of all connected.

It's bizarre, where does Miller fit in to all this and why was Rae, a guy most of us had totally forgot ever existed mentioned within hours of Murray going. Smacks of yet another stitch up by the board. Why the rush too with Miller at the helm as caretaker, it's not as if we had to rush to pluck Rae before someone else snapped him up.

Never liked him as a player but I suppose we have to give him a chance. I really feel he has to hit the ground running. I can see him getting very little slack from an increasingly disillusioned support. I suppose he might feel hes on a hiding to nothing and Rae on the face of it has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Who knows he might get a tune out of this squad or sign a few better players but I cant help but feel slightly let down by the board and a whole lot of meh in general.

Jesus I've got my work cut out here for cynicism, think I'll just leave the crown with you pozbaird

Hey, that was me being positive. I could understand the Murray appointment but it turned out shite. I cannot understand this appointment so maybe it'll turn out better.

I thought I was being a wee ray of sunshine in a shite St Mirren world.

I have no problem with Alex Rae supporting R*****s.

Would you rather he spouted some shit about always being a Saints fan ???

He doesn't hide who he supports, so what...

Of all the managers in Scotland, how many do you think don't have a leaning towards one of the gruesome twosome.

Off the top of my head...McInnes,Rae, Calderwood, Gus , Butcher, McCall, all R*****s men. Loads more.

Unconvincing appointment if true, where is the managerial experience we were promised ?

We were promised experience. The word "managerial" wasn't used if I remember correctly. Whilst not overly impressed with his appointment he has been involved in a managerial team for nearly 10 years.

There is a dearth of candidates at our level without taking huge risks on an experienced manager from a lower league or one who has been tried and discarded. To be honest none of the names touted by posters on here stood out as the guy for the job, apart from a few who would never have taken the job in a million years. It's very easy to knock the appointment but who else stood out for you?

I despise the ran£-rs like most on here , but for me it's not reason to give someone a chance .

Alex Ferguson , Ian Ferguson ,Thomo to name but a few .

If he gets the gig , and then turns our fortunes around - all is ignored ( not forgiven ) as far as I'm concerned .

Yes but none are involved like Alex Rae

He's a nacho novo , Barry ferguson type figure for rangers fans. I don't care who folk support. But I do have a problem when grown men within a profession get involved in all the pish Rae gets involved with like sons of struth etc

Shhh. He might bring in Novo and Bazza as his assistants. Still, if he's still with us next season, he can help erect the Celtic club shop signs at the stadium.

I don't think any appointment would have gone down well.

The end of the day its about results if he keeps us up comfortably then he should be ok if not bye1.gif

It really should not be that hard to make a big improvement in our performances.

Edited by insaintee

He has to be given a chance.

To think we would be able to attract someone who had no scum connections is ridiculous. He is the manager & should be given the full support in his efforts to sort out the current shambles.

For those who are writing him off because of his love of oldco/ newco may i just remind you of a little ditty which was popular not so very long ago......

"He`s six foot two with jet black hair, he played for the **** but we dont care!"