Brian Caldwell Quits. New Ceo Required

There were rumblings on twitter last week from Partick Thistle fans who seemed to think Ian Maxwell might be coming to St.Mirren.

That kind of makes sense but not sure why he'd leave a Premiership club to come to us.

Think its because he's a nice bloke and all round good guy.

I have mixed feelings on Caldwell, but would worry as to who the current BoD will bring in to replace him. I reckon they'll give Campbell Kennedy the gig going on recent form....

I was thinking that myself and a college student brought in to do the commercial side of things .

Will he be missed - I'm not sure.

Let's take the Updates thread that div started in June 2014 which lasted until July 2014 - for me that was typical of the guy, new idea, fanfare of trumpets, and then three months later it had fizzled out and he was onto the new big idea!

Now that he's no longer with Saints it'll mean that he'll no longer be able to be indiscreet about the club to a coupla my Ayr Utd. supporting mates - I got one or two interesting pieces of gossip that way.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Amazing how he seems to have got off scot free during all this while everyone else from the BOD to the assistant manager to the players get peters.

For me he's as culpable as all of them for the performance this season and I'm glad he's going.

New GM and new manager, fresh ideas all round.

Having spent time with Brian, discussing business matters in general and saints in particular, i can safely say your post is a pile of uninformed pish.

But there you go again, wishing for something without any idea as to what that something will look like when it materialises

So go on, tell us exactly what BC did, why he was so bad at it and who you have in mind to fill his not inconsiderable boots?

Having spent time with Brian, discussing business matters in general and saints in particular, i can safely say your post is a pile of uninformed pish.

But there you go again, wishing for something without any idea as to what that something will look like when it materialises

So go on, tell us exactly what BC did, why he was so bad at it and who you have in mind to fill his not inconsiderable boots?

Peter can give you few pointers Chris!

Our BOD all have full time jobs away from football. It's not do with lack of enthusiasm, it's lack of time, you can't expect them to do two full time jobs?

Our club requires a full time employee to manage the whole operation on a day to day basis.

That was Caldwell.

They certainly dont all have full time jobs away from the Club.

All the best to BC, interesting times indeed

Brian is a massive blow to the club. Brian workload was massive. Don't know why he's moving on. But it's a sad time at the club.

Just a better career move I think fella. His leaving is nothing at all to do with the current predicament of St.Mirren.

Real shame to lose Brian as he has worked tirelessly over the years for the club, trying his level best to improve things on and off the park and operating within a very hardh environment where ever penny is a prisoner.

Sure he will be a big asset at his new club.

Still, change is always an opportunity and now we get a new manager, and a new Chief Exec, and maybe at some point in our lifetime, new owners.

New people, with new ideas and new energy.

And then the board who are dragging the club to the abyss will suck the life out of them too!

From the outside looking in BC seems to have been very hard working and if the aerodome, Ralston training facility, stadium rebranding and recent media work with UWS are all down to him then he has been a very effective GM for St Mirren. I wish BC well in his new job. Ian Maxwell looks to be doing a very good job at Thistle and is a good communicator but I can't see him stepping down to us in the Championship particularly as the £168m lottery winning couple from Largs seem to be weighing in with some serious financial support to Thistle. I can't see the BoD being willing or capable enough to do this job so it's another important appointment for a Board that's making some very poor decisions.

I would think he has probably been looking for a way out and one has now emerged !

I think same as every one of us in a job, if you see a better opportunity become available that ticks your boxes, then you might be tempted to go for it.

Although I say it's nothing to do with St.Mirren, of course the fact that we are in the second tier in Scotland now, potentially heading for the third, and with the club up for sale, there aren't many guarantees around. Moving to a club in England where there is more money, more security & stability, yeah I think we can all understand that.

From BBC ....

Brian Caldwell: St Mirren chief executive leaves for England

St Mirren chief executive Brian Caldwell is to step down from his role at the Scottish Championship club and move to a new job in England.

Caldwell, 46, joined the Buddies, initially as general manager, in 2007, having worked with Ayr United.

He declined to reveal which English club he will be working for after he works his two-month notice period.

"I'm sad to be leaving St Mirren as I've made a lot of good friends at the club and in Paisley," he said.

"I will miss the place as I've had a lot of great memories of this place. I spent a lot of my time here working on major developments from the club, such as the move from Love Street to the Paisley 2021 Stadium and the new training ground. The League Cup win in 2013 was also one of the best days of my life.

"The club has had a tough time recently with its relegation from the Premiership [earlier this year] but my decision to leave has nothing to do with that.

"It's a great opportunity for me both professionally and personally and one I could not turn down."

News of Caldwell's impeding departure comes days after manager Ian Murray resigned following St Mirren's 1-0 defeat at Dumbarton, with the Paisley side third bottom of the league.

St Mirren said in a statement : "The board of directors are obviously disappointed to lose Brian, but understand that having served the club for over eight years - and with the option to progress his own career elsewhere - there was always a possibility that an offer would come his way due to the excellent job he has done at St Mirren FC.

"The board wish to thank Brian for his hard work and wish him every success in the future when he moves to his new position after the new year."

Whatever the whys and wherefores of this development, the club will need to act very swiftly to ensure that someone with a reasonable pedigree takes the tiller with immediate effect.

We are already in a dreadfully sorry state without the routine day to day running of the club going tits up into the bargain.

I think it wouldn't be a gross exaggeration to concede that we are a club in crisis. Worrying times ahead with huge adjustment required on and off the pitch.