The Alex Rae And David Farrell Appreciation Thread

shull

Pretty unimpressed so far with Rae. Three defeats in 6 games , including a cup exit at home.Admittedly an improvement on Murray but thats damning with faint praise.Ive only seen one of the matches, against Morton, and was appalled at how bad we were. I noticed that last weeks crowd was the lowest of the season so far, not surprised.If the task for Rae and his assistant is to escape relegation, then I think they may well achieve that, but entertainment it is not.Expectation among the fans has been so drastically lowered over the last few seasons that even a couple of victories against Alloa are treated as improvement, lol.Sad days right enough.I am quite prepared to eat my words if we should go on a run and rise up the league, but I rather doubt it with that goalie and no centre half.

Aye we should be beating ourselves up because we didnt beat Hibs away and Partick at home eh?

Terrible appointment, the BOD should hang their heads in shame!

Defo not pleased about Murray leaving - he'll be lucky if he gets a club down south though imho - so many players out of contract without a club and now he wants to join the queues? blink.gif

Best of luck to him in finding one, if you ask me, he'll zoggin well need it, even if Mansfield is an iron in the fire for him.

Let's just hope we can get someone who offers at least the same as him on a free... unsure.gif

what say you now?

A quote from 2002 about Hugh Murray.

That's intriguing.wacko.png

yup totally stitched up by the dodgy double quote feature on this app, it was meant to quote JJ who agreed to the first quote. Get it sorted Div!!

Anyway now that you brought up shug murray (or maybe I did), I was playing football on a school pitch in summerston this morning and the PE teachers had a wee collage of their sporting hero's and one of them was about Shug Murray, brilliant to see, so it was.

Edited by Hambud

Pretty unimpressed so far with Rae. Three defeats in 6 games , including a cup exit at home.Admittedly an improvement on Murray but thats damning with faint praise.Ive only seen one of the matches, against Morton, and was appalled at how bad we were. I noticed that last weeks crowd was the lowest of the season so far, not surprised.

If the task for Rae and his assistant is to escape relegation, then I think they may well achieve that, but entertainment it is not.

Expectation among the fans has been so drastically lowered over the last few seasons that even a couple of victories against Alloa are treated as improvement, lol.Sad days right enough.

I am quite prepared to eat my words if we should go on a run and rise up the league, but I rather doubt it with that goalie and no centre half.

No doubt in comparison to a couple of seasons ago - beating Alloa is hardly something to write home about.

However, after drastic decline, and under Murray, serious decline, it is clear that things are picking up considerably since AR has arrived.

In the league this season the facts are -

Under Murray - 2 wins from 16 games. (12.5% win average)

Under AR - 4 wins from 6 games (66% win average)

Also N.B. The same amount of points have been collected in 6 games as Murray managed in 16

It is early days - but from being seriously at risk of relegation under Murray - we are now much more hopeful of at worst mid table - at best the play offs.

Have a wee read through the thread on Optimism to catch the difference from a variety of Saints fans, many of whom, are attending the games.

Quite a few of us are having better weekends now - and even if it is not pretty - a winning mentality beats what the 1st half of the season offered every time!

Give AR a chance to work with the squad which now includes 3 or 4 better players than we had before he arrived and in the longer term, let's see what he does at the next transfer window, as he builds his team!

He has only been here 6/7 weeks - and I believe that for most fans, in terms of results, tactics, the way he speaks etc. it is clear that there has been a dramatic turn around already.

Who had higher expectations than what is being delivered by AR by this stage in the preceding's?

agree with the majorityof your post sweeper,but my only concern being the performances havnt been great,altho 3 points are 3 points but miles of improvement to go ,hopefully alex and david are the guys to take us forward

Fully agree that we don't look like any sort of finished article yet. We don't want just to be lucky, we want to be better than other teams and entertain the fans too.

But the squad AR inherited did not know how to win. (Ok they won a few games against lower league teams in cups and two league games - but in the league 12.5% win rate is seriously disastrous. (That is not the sign of a good team and some of that is down to poor management, but not all)

It is a results business and win rate in the league is now 66% under AR - Most of us will take that, above getting beat by playing nice football, every single time.

The habit of winning will have a really positive effect on the team as well as for the fans.

So I am hoping once Clarkson gets his eye in for a goal or 15, Naismith and Goodwin back, we might be a bit more pleasant to watch too.

Nevertheless, I'd take another ugly 1 v 0 win next week against QOS - especially if it lifts us above the soap dodgers!!

Goodwin and Quinn too similar? I don't think they're similar at all.

Goodwin is a defensive ball winning midfielder. Quinn is a box to box midfielder who regularly gets forward. He's more of an attacking midfielder than anything. For a bit of context, Goodwin has scored 3 league goals for us in 147 games, Quinn got 11 for County in 111.

Both could easily be accommodated in the same team and i expect they will be when Goodwin returns. With them two central Mallan could be pushed further forward to the number 10 role behind the striker.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Rae going to be tempted to go and work with MacLeish again at zamalek in Egypt

Only a fool would take up a job in a country that suffers radical Islamic extremists. Egypt is a powder keg waiting to kick off so very surprised to read MacLeish taking up a position there he is clearly naïve to the situation.

Only a fool would take up a job in a country that suffers radical Islamic extremists. Egypt is a powder keg waiting to kick off so very surprised to read MacLeish taking up a position there he is clearly naïve to the situation.

Wouldn't say that the situation in the country is likely to be a consideration for McLeish, but rather more focussed on earning a large salary for being fairly inept.