The Alex Rae And David Farrell Appreciation Thread

shull

Correct don't panic!!!!

There is no doubt Rae was dealt a poor hand and has brought in a few reasonable signings. However as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on him. We have slightly improved, I am hopeful that we will pull away from the playoffs soon but it certainly cannot be dismissed.

How exciting would the play offs be though? Two 2 legged ties to save our status, assuming we get through the first one of course.

Yeah we've had a difficult run of games and we've came up just short. We should have got at least a point at Palmerston, we should have beaten Falkirk at home, we almost got a point at Ibrox and we almost got a point at Starks.

Shots on goal are a good way of determining how a game really went (if we discount the goals scored copyright. Tom Hendrie). Bear in mind that it takes 9 shots on goal to score a goal, on average.

Against QoS, the stats were QoS 11 - 17 St. Mirren. So we probably did deserve at least a point.

Against Falkirk it was 10 - 7 in our favour so a draw was probably the correct result.

Against the new club it was 21 - 8 in the new club's favour. So we were actually lucky to get away with just a 1-0 defeat.

Against Raith it was 16 - 8 in our favour. A freakish result you could say. Stats also possibly swayed by the fact that Saints were always chasing the game. We probably deserved a point in this game.

So, in summary, I agree with your assessment of the games against QoS & Raith but the results against Falkirk & Rangers were about right.

Here are the factual league percentages just for YOU

Under Murray

Games in charge 16 Wins 2 (12.5 % win rate) Draws 6 (37.5%) Losses 8 (50%)

Points accrued % 12 from 48 = 25%

Under Rae

Games in Charge 11 Wins 5 (45.5 % win rate) Draws 1 (9%) Losses 8 (45.5%)

Points accrued % 16 from 33 = 48.5%

Rae's teams have just played the top 4. He is only here 2 months and we are not as good as the top 4, but under Murray anyone could beat us or at least take points from us, and they more or less all did.

With Murrays record if it had continued with the same points gaining percentage we'd be 8 points worse off : We would be on 20 points, i.e. 4 below Livingstone.

Considering what Rae inherited, there is no doubt he has done a really good job so far. We are now about the standard of QOTS rather than worse than Livingstone. It is a significant turn-a-round, but more is needed. All Saints fans will surely be hoping for the team to continue to pick up points and move up a place or 3 in the league; then in the summer clear out and rebuild a far better team. (Of course the Board and budgets will limit the possibilities - things like Langfield here for another year on his wages)

What Rae managed in the transfer window 1 month into the post was far better than most of us expected - Murray should have been away months before that!

There is no comparison between Murray and Rae which puts them in the same league when it comes to ability - Murray was a complete dud!!!

Thanks for that research. I had assumed Rae took charge firstly against Alloa which was a dozen games ago, and we have subsequently lost 6 of those (not 8 as you said), including a home Scottish cup tie.

Of course, Murray was hopeless and ought to have been shown the door much earlier (as should Lennon and Craig before him)but then what do we fans know ?

Maybe we will buck the trend in managerial appointments, its about time and even by the law of averages its bound to happen sometime.

Thanks for that research. I had assumed Rae took charge firstly against Alloa which was a dozen games ago, and we have subsequently lost 6 of those (not 8 as you said), including a home Scottish cup tie.

Of course, Murray was hopeless and ought to have been shown the door much earlier (as should Lennon and Craig before him)but then what do we fans know ?

Maybe we will buck the trend in managerial appointments, its about time and even by the law of averages its bound to happen sometime.

Apologies - I never updated the games lost total for Rae, but my percentage was correct - I have amended it now. I only compared league games since the cups throw up teams of different standards.

We are not massively a better team now - but we certainly have more mental capacity to win and collect points. Once Naismith, Goodwin are back playing we will be able to challenge even the top teams better.

How exciting would the play offs be though? Two 2 legged ties to save our status, assuming we get through the first one of course.

Eh ! Two 2 legged ties ? Are the relegation play offs different in the lower leagues as the 11th prem team only plays in the final tie after the promotion chasing teams play 2 ties for the privilege of a crack at the crest fallen team from the division above.

Eh ! Two 2 legged ties ? Are the relegation play offs different in the lower leagues as the 11th prem team only plays in the final tie after the promotion chasing teams play 2 ties for the privilege of a crack at the crest fallen team from the division above.

Yes they're different.

4th against 9th two legs.

3rd against 2nd two legs.

Final is winner of both semis over two legs. Winner of that plays in the Championship.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done on another win today... but what's the deal with not playing Goody?

Does it matter if we're winning?

Rae either doesn't think he's fit, or he won't improve the team. No one can argue with either considering our form compared with when Goodwin did play.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Alex Rae took charge we have had 48 points to play for. Out of that we have amassed 26, which given the diabolical mess he inherited, I think makes pretty good reading. For comparison purposes, Hibs have only collected 24 out of their last 48 available points.

Edited by Mearns Saint

Since Alex Rae took charge we have had 48 points to play for. Out of that we have amassed 26, which given the diabolical mess he inherited, I think makes pretty good reading. For comparison purposes, Hibs have only collected 24 out of their last 48 available points.

Exactly and at last we can start to enjoy the rest of the season. Safe at last. Only St Mirren can fall so far in such a short space of time, but being us we will probably walk the division next season. That's why we love this club

Exactly and at last we can start to enjoy the rest of the season. Safe at last. Only St Mirren can fall so far in such a short space of time, but being us we will probably walk the division next season. That's why we love this club

Plenty have done worse.