Morton V St Mirren Championship 2/1/16

shull

people are never happy they are shite when they get beat and still shite when they win aw well go on the shite

I would love to say we played well, played them off the park and won easy.

We didn't though. We were rubbish today. If any buddie is honest they will tell you we are a poor side, and we looked it again.

What we had was a bit of dig in Carswell and Webster to see out the win. The goal was a bit of luck, free kick rebound could have went anywhere, thankfully it landed on Shanks forehead. A yard here or there and the score would likely have been 0-0.

No point in getting deluded and pretending we are good. We aren't. We won't have to be to finish fourth though....

I asked my son on the way to cappielow if he would take a point given last week's debacle against Livingston. We both agreed that a point would do in the current circumstances.

We wanted to see a decent reaction and for the players to fight for the cause and re-gain some pride. We got the win so we were both delighted. It wasn't pretty football, but we had a team fighting for everything and totally committed to the cause.

Credit where it's due the defence held together well considering recent capitulations, and a special mention for Shanks who took his chance like a true predator, and for Stuart Carswell who was everywhere making and breaking play up when it was required. He's not everyone's type of player, but for all his deficiencies he didn't half put a cracking shift in today.

Overall a fantastic and important 3 points Saints. Let's build on it.

Edited by class of 76-77

I'm just confused by the fact that Morton seem to think that they're quite good just now. We're at our lowest ebb yet we've drawn 2 and beaten them once (and they shouldn't even have got the draw at our place with their offside equaliser). They really are absolute pish.

I would love to say we played well, played them off the park and won easy.

We didn't though. We were rubbish today. If any buddie is honest they will tell you we are a poor side, and we looked it again.

What we had was a bit of dig in Carswell and Webster to see out the win. The goal was a bit of luck, free kick rebound could have went anywhere, thankfully it landed on Shanks forehead. A yard here or there and the score would likely have been 0-0.

No point in getting deluded and pretending we are good. We aren't. We won't have to be to finish fourth though....

I'm just confused by the fact that Morton seem to think that they're quite good just now. We're at our lowest ebb yet we've drawn 2 and beaten them once (and they shouldn't even have got the draw at our place with their offside equaliser). They really are absolute pish.

As poor a team that we are, I never felt we were in any danger of losing today. Morton had no idea how to get in behind what has been a very fragile back four of ours. We need to get a couple of new players in to freshen up and boost the squad. No reason why we can't finish above them.

Good shape and discipline today. Looks like manager worked on the shambolic performance of last week. Sure it wasn't pretty but it's a win an we need this sort of organisation every week. Let's be horrible to play against

Hopefully the penny will finally drop with our players that the only way you win games in this league is through sheer hard work. Today was one of the rare occasions this season where we matched the opposition for work rate. Still not enough press on the ball when we don't have it though.

One thing that is obvious from today and last week is that we need to keep Shankland.

Get the ball in and about the box, create chances and half chances and he will score goals.

I certainly don't see us getting a better penalty box finisher during the transfer window.

So you never seen one bit of difference in the team today top cat

Did you celebrate when they scored and did you celebrate the boys at the end ? If yes to any these answers why?

I saw a lot of happy guys teenagers and children today thank god there not all like you.

Leave him alone he's gutted that his scapegoat "Langfield" had a clean sheet.

Good result, Shyte game but take a 1-0 Derby day win anytime. Wasn't much between the 2 sides but the desire and organisation and most of all fitness was a lot more evident than in the last few months, got to say that Stuart Carswell was superb the day, being busy in the middle of the park breaking up play, putting in the tackles, and simple distribution, the abuse the lads had on here is a disgrace given that he's only started getting a run in the team. Howieson did well with his energy and McMullen ran his socks off till he tired later on, Webster was his usuall commanding self at the back and won pretty much everything that came his was and Baird did well beside him. Hopefully in the transfer window the gaffer can get someone in to link the play up between middle to front, I'd like to see mallan at number 10, the lads wasted in the middle of the park...

So you never seen one bit of difference in the team today top cat

Did you celebrate when they scored and did you celebrate the boys at the end ? If yes to any these answers why?

I saw a lot of happy guys teenagers and children today thank god there not all like you.

Difference compared to what? Compared to last week? Absolutely. This week we had midfielders and defenders competing for the loose ball. Last week we didn't. Last week we sold 4 at home to Livi, this week we kept a clean sheet.

A difference compared to the other wins we've had this year... QOTS, Livi and Alloa? Nope. Similar kind of games the 4 of them. We scored then defended well. We didn't play them off the park and win convincingly. We haven't done that once this season.

Hopefully one day we will.

One thing that is obvious from today and last week is that we need to keep Shankland.

Get the ball in and about the box, create chances and half chances and he will score goals.

I certainly don't see us getting a better penalty box finisher during the transfer window.

The management need to come up with a system to get the best out of Shankland, he is our best chance of grabbing goals and dragging us up the table.

Not a great game today YES but at least I came out from watching St.Mirren with victory to celebrate!

Thought Carswell was man of the match for me Howison also played well!

I'm not the biggest fan of Shankland but he put in a shift today and deserved his Goal.

Agnew was a Car crash doesn't he know how to pass a ball forward?

He's too lightweight as is Mcmullan both ran the ball out far to much and for all Mcmullan's skill his final ball is terrible!

Webster was ok today but that's least I expect from him...

Langfeild was good bad and ugly all in one game!

GOOD few good saves that got us the win and good in the second half..

BAD his kickouts were bad...

Ugly the chance he gifted them having said all that did well to save his mistake!

But we got the win Morton have still not beat us in a competitive game this millennium and 3 points!

So tonight no matter how bad the game I am enjoying my beer instead of crying into it!

Well done St.Mirren well done Alex Rae equalled Murrays 6 month record of 2 win in 3 games!

First game I've been to since the last game in Greenock; langfields kicking is horrendous, does he practice?? You would think as a coach and someone of 20 years experience he should be able to kick a football in a straight line. I thought Watson, Baird and Webster all had good games. Webster sometimes looks like he's strolling through the game. Carswell played well, breaking up play, harrying and getting an importa foot in often. From the groans around me, it sounds like Agnew isn't that appreciated. To me, he looks like a footballer, he can control and pass the ball but until the end, when the game was stretched, there was little on ahead of him and people seemed to object to a square and backwards pass to feet rather long hopeful punts into the corners. Mcmullan has quick feet but looks like one of those frustrating players who prob has more talent than he shows.

By the time we next play them in April, there will have been Morton fans born.. Grown up and sat their driving test since they last beat us.

What a record.

Is their a longer unbeaten derby record in world football than the 17 years plus we currently have over them?

By the time we next play them in April, there will have been Morton fans born.. Grown up and sat their driving test since they last beat us.

What a record.

Is their a longer unbeaten derby record in world football than the 17 years plus we currently have over them?

We had a similar unbeaten record on their patch for a similar length of time. Might have been about 15 years?

Morton have only defeated us 11 times since 1980.

We had a similar unbeaten record on their patch for a similar length of time. Might have been about 15 years?

Morton have only defeated us 11 times since 1980.

Last time we lost at Cappielow was April 1998 (in the midst of the Brealey stuff).