Morton V St Mirren Championship 2/1/16

shull

We were shit as usual however we showed a far better attitude and actually played to a formation that everyone seemed to understand even if most were not very good at doing their job in that formation.

Started with a 4-5-1 and dropped Gallagher which was an improvement to start with. Howieson at least won a header now and then and actually put in a tackle. I thought the midfield, including Carswell, were absolutely dire in the first half. Stood off their man and had no courage whatsoever to try to create. At half-time 0-1 flattered us but Morton were truly shit if they were losing to us.

I reckon Rae fired a rocket up them at half time as they closed down a bit more and put in a few tackles in the second half. Agnew was a total joke today but Carswell had a half decent second half - probably the best I have seen him play but that isn't saying much.

Overall a great result, a better attitude and a formation that people understood. We now just need some decent players. But well done for the effort and the unexpected victory. Thanks. smile.png

PS Probably the quietest derby game I have ever attended. Hardly any singing and hardly a tackle worthy of the name. Not like 1/1/77 smile.png

Hardly unexpected, they have failed to record a victory against us in 17 feckin years

The result was everything yesterday, the performance of the team sticking to a plan made that happen.

Rae & Farrell have to work with a shoddy toolset at this time, forced to use hammers instead of screwdrivers to hold it together. I feel much more optimistic now that we may well not be fighting relegation come the end of season, but still very early days.

We beat an Alloa team that is very poor, we beat a Morton side yesterday that couldnt break us down, a pepped up Livi tore us apart so please take it in the rounds.

As soon as Goodwin is back, Agnew will be dropped, he is actually getting worse, and as Scott said yesterday he was the worst player of both teams!

Carswell tried harder, still no talent there, Howieson gets in good positions, carries the ball well, but keeps running straight into defenders, he needs coaching on drawing his man.

Clangers (for that is who he is) was Morton's biggest threat yesterday. How many times did he kick it out the park? And why does he needlessly invite catastrophe everytime he gets a pass back?

Kelly was hot and cold, Webster had a good one, McMullan made things happen, and was the only one who could hit an accurate weighted pass, Gallagher wasnt really in it, Shankland seems to be always two yards away from where the ball lands, the rest put in a decent shift.

If the rumours of us picking up a decent goalie and attacking midfielder in January pan out then Rae & Farrell will get us kicking on, hope they get their men because they both deserve a chance to show how good a team they can set out. We still need a goal scorer.

All in all much better showing, who knows this Friday? Its the FA Cup... Anything can happen!

Edited by Lord Pityme

Another way to look at it is, they won 3 in a row against us from early '97 to early '98.

Other than that they haven't beat us at Cappielow in 33 years, whilst we've won there 20 (twenty) times. laugh.png

According to one of the unwashed on P&B they beat us at Crappielow in 1998.

Was at Cappielow, first match since August and impressed at how large the travelling support was. First half, Saints were appalling and improved slightly in the second. Morton were dreadful which was surprising, given how well they have done in this league.

Unless there is either a large turn around in players, or a vast improvement from the current lot, bottom half mediocrity is as much as we can expect. I`m sorry to say it, but theres not one player in that team who is worth paying to watch.

Was at Cappielow, first match since August and impressed at how large the travelling support was.

I was reading a Newspaper match report which mentioned the "huge" away support.I was pleasantly surprised.