Aiming For 4Th Place .....

Sonny

Apparently SG and AR still believe fourth place is attainable.....

From PDE:

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour believes the Buddies can still make a late promotion push under new boss Alex Rae.

The former Rangers midfielder masterminded a 2-0 victory over Alloa on Saturday just 24 hours after taking up the job.

But Ian Murray's replacement has it all to do if he is to drag his new charges back into the reckoning for the play-offs.

The weekend Wasps win was only Saints' third Ladbrokes Championship triumph of the season and the eighth-placed Paisley side remain 12 points behind fourth-placed Raith Rovers.

However, Gilmour has not given up hope, saying: "We're pleased to have Alex here. He comes from a really good background, he's worked at the highest level, has a bit of experience in management and we're hoping he does well.

"Our target is still to be in around the fourth/fifth spot. That is what we looked at back at the start of the season. We knew we were downsizing after being relegated and needed a season to sort ourselves out.

"I don't think we have a poor squad I just don't think we have got the results we need. We certainly haven't given up hope.

"There is still half the season to go and the roles can still be reversed. The top three of look pretty much settled but there is still a fourth spot there and I know that is what Alex will be trying to get. He is a very determined and focused guy."

Rae - who has worked as a number two to Paul Ince at Blackpool and Alex McLeish during a stint with Belgian side Genk since his last job in management with Dundee - took a more cautious approach, though, as he targeted catching Dumbarton in seventh as his first priority.

But he does hope to bring in a couple of new signings next month as well as an assistant manager as he sets about transforming the stuttering Saints.

Press Association Sport understands former Hibs boss Alex Miller, who had been working alongside Murray before he resigned last week, has also walked away from the club and Rae's former Dens Park right-hand man David Farrell is now expected to be reunited with his friend later this week.

For now, though, the new manager has promised those who remain behind a clean slate.

"I'm not interested in what went on before," he said.

"I'm only interested on what I can impact and how I go about putting my ideas over to these boys.

"Hopefully if I can do that we can start climbing the table.

"I can't compliment the lads highly enough after what I saw on Saturday. They were very energetic, scored a couple of good goals and with a little bit more care could have had one or two more.

"I saw enough at the weekend to tell me we have enough character to get out of this situation. They were smashing into people and got about the park. It was very encouraging.

"We need big personalities but I don't think there's any bigger than myself. I told them today I want to make this as enjoyable as possible.

"I've been here four days in a row now since getting the job on Friday. I even came in a few hours on Sunday trying to sort out some things.

"There's an under-20s game tonight so I'm looking at another 12 or 13 hour day. It's right back into the frying pan, that's for sure. "

Apparently SG and AR still believe fourth place is attainable.....

From PDE:

St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour believes the Buddies can still make a late promotion push under new boss Alex Rae.

The former Rangers midfielder masterminded a 2-0 victory over Alloa on Saturday just 24 hours after taking up the job.

But Ian Murray's replacement has it all to do if he is to drag his new charges back into the reckoning for the play-offs.

The weekend Wasps win was only Saints' third Ladbrokes Championship triumph of the season and the eighth-placed Paisley side remain 12 points behind fourth-placed Raith Rovers.

However, Gilmour has not given up hope, saying: "We're pleased to have Alex here. He comes from a really good background, he's worked at the highest level, has a bit of experience in management and we're hoping he does well.

"Our target is still to be in around the fourth/fifth spot. That is what we looked at back at the start of the season. We knew we were downsizing after being relegated and needed a season to sort ourselves out.

"I don't think we have a poor squad I just don't think we have got the results we need. We certainly haven't given up hope.

"There is still half the season to go and the roles can still be reversed. The top three of look pretty much settled but there is still a fourth spot there and I know that is what Alex will be trying to get. He is a very determined and focused guy."

Rae - who has worked as a number two to Paul Ince at Blackpool and Alex McLeish during a stint with Belgian side Genk since his last job in management with Dundee - took a more cautious approach, though, as he targeted catching Dumbarton in seventh as his first priority.

But he does hope to bring in a couple of new signings next month as well as an assistant manager as he sets about transforming the stuttering Saints.

Press Association Sport understands former Hibs boss Alex Miller, who had been working alongside Murray before he resigned last week, has also walked away from the club and Rae's former Dens Park right-hand man David Farrell is now expected to be reunited with his friend later this week.

For now, though, the new manager has promised those who remain behind a clean slate.

"I'm not interested in what went on before," he said.

"I'm only interested on what I can impact and how I go about putting my ideas over to these boys.

"Hopefully if I can do that we can start climbing the table.

"I can't compliment the lads highly enough after what I saw on Saturday. They were very energetic, scored a couple of good goals and with a little bit more care could have had one or two more.

"I saw enough at the weekend to tell me we have enough character to get out of this situation. They were smashing into people and got about the park. It was very encouraging.

"We need big personalities but I don't think there's any bigger than myself. I told them today I want to make this as enjoyable as possible.

"I've been here four days in a row now since getting the job on Friday. I even came in a few hours on Sunday trying to sort out some things.

"There's an under-20s game tonight so I'm looking at another 12 or 13 hour day. It's right back into the frying pan, that's for sure. "

I wonder how many would still defend Murray for going off on holiday, then niping away on a coaching junket to Prague in his first days in the job of manager of a team just relegated? Still Ian did know better than us.

From PDE:

For now, though, the new manager has promised those who remain behind a clean slate."I'm not interested in what went on before," he said."I'm only interested on what I can impact and how I go about putting my ideas over to these boys."Hopefully if I can do that we can start climbing the table.

"

Are these two points important it telling us why things didn't go well for Murray, particularly the second? Edited by Bart Simpson

Dear Santa,

I'd settle for fifth and finishing above Morton, because P&B would be hilarious if we could manage that (win game in hand and the derby and it could be a three-point gap between us and our prematurely-gloating friends.)

However, even more realistically, I think clear safety from relegation and a team that isn't a complete shambles would do. Bit of fight and passion, give supporters a reason to go to games, and create a bit of optimism for next season, would all be great.

Please.

We've been crap all season, everyone thinks Morton have been excellent but we're only 9 points behind them with a game in hand. Everything about the club has been negative for the last 18 months or so, so I'm glad to hear a bit of positivity and ambition.

Even if we don't make the play offs, it'd be good to see us playing some decent football, some home wins and a sign that we're at least starting to head in the right direction.

Just had a look at this. These are the points totals which 4th placed in this league has finished with in the last 6 seasons:

60 14/15

55 13/14

52 12/13 (no playoff)

49 11/12 (no playoff)

49 10/11 (no playoff)

56 09/10 (no playoff)

An average of 53.5 points. We have 15 after 17 games, so we will likely need 38 from our remaining 19 games, an average of 2 points a game.

For a bit of context Falkirk have 35 points after 17 games, so if our form in the second half of the season is the same as there's in the first... 12 wins 3 draws and 4 defeats from the last 19 should do it.

Outside chance but not impossible. Six points from Livi and Morton will certainly give us momentum and a bit of belief that it could be done.

We should be using the time between now and the end of the season to prepare properly for NEXT season.

January is a hard time to trade but hopefully we can make a couple of additions and get rid of some who are adding no value like Gow & Conlan for example.

Hopefully we can then go on a wee run and get as high up the table as possible. We should certainly aim for 4th and if we got there then great but I think the longer term picture is that we need to be absolutely ready to hit the transfer market in the summer and bring in the players we want quickly and without fuss so we can have a proper go at it in season 16-17.

Surely Saints are pleading poverty as usual and therefore wont be able to sign any new players in the near future ? One thing they could do though is get rid of the loan players who have done nothing, and send them back whence they came ( I am thinking particularly of McMullan )

There seems to be a thought that Alex Rae must have some " contacts" somewhere, as he has been in the game for a long time. Unless they are amateur and prepared to play for no salary I fail to see how we could sign anyone, given that the crowds are disapperaing like snow off a dyke.

Like all previous managers, this frog is prepared to give the new incumbent the benefit of the doubt but as he was recruited by the least knowledgeable board in the country I have my reservations.

Just had a look at this. These are the points totals which 4th placed in this league has finished with in the last 6 seasons:

60 14/15

55 13/14

52 12/13 (no playoff)

49 11/12 (no playoff)

49 10/11 (no playoff)

56 09/10 (no playoff)

An average of 53.5 points. We have 15 after 17 games, so we will likely need 38 from our remaining 19 games, an average of 2 points a game.

For a bit of context Falkirk have 35 points after 17 games, so if our form in the second half of the season is the same as there's in the first... 12 wins 3 draws and 4 defeats from the last 19 should do it.

Outside chance but not impossible. Six points from Livi and Morton will certainly give us momentum and a bit of belief that it could be done.

Wow i like these stats! good job!