Alex Rae's 1St Signing

Flareybob

In fairness to AR, he has to evaluate what he has, what he needs, and to start negotiations. Big job, not least with Caldwell heading out the exit. I suspect the departure of BC could be a stumbling block for us this window. Pish timing.

I see Livingston have signed another loan player from Rangers. They are gambling on signing players in an effort to stay in contention with the likes of us at the bottom. My problem is, they clearly don't have the money to pay for these players given that they have less than 500 home fans in attendance.

How can this shower sustain this amount of debt and yet again get away with it.

We need to get the finger out and sign some decent players and make sure they don't stay up at our expense.

Loan players from bigger clubs cost next to nothing in many cases.

I'm certainly surprised that by the 13th of January, we haven't made a single first team signing.

Can only hope Rae has a few irons in the fire. If we are to drag ourselves clear of the bottom 3 we need additions all over the park.

Conlan + Reid out = Farrell in

Throw in paying off two managerial teams (your namesake may very well still be on the club's wagebill) and I reckon we'll have to ship players out before we can bring any in.

Throw in paying off two managerial teams (your namesake may very well still be on the club's wagebill) and I reckon we'll have to ship players out before we can bring any in.

Nah, don't think that's the case. I reckon Murray was under budget, hence why Watson and Reid were signed quickly.

Surprised nobody has been signed yet, fully expect someone in by Friday.

No players from England ,please.

We operate an open and transparent signing policy irrespective of race, creed, religion or colour. Our signing policy should be “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” Couldn't be any worse than the last two Managers!

We operate an open and transparent signing policy irrespective of race, creed, religion or colour. Our signing policy should be “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” Couldn't be any worse than the last two Managers!

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, go get yourself some cheap sunglasses.

Pretty sure that's how it goes.

In fairness to AR, he has to evaluate what he has, what he needs, and to start negotiations. Big job, not least with Caldwell heading out the exit. I suspect the departure of BC could be a stumbling block for us this window. Pish timing.

BC doesn't move on until February as far as I was led to believe so, if he is conscientious, the timing will not be a problem,

Hasn't Rae himself said he has money to bring players in without moving any on?

I'm Sure folk were saying the same thing last January then Teale was scrambling about on the last day trying to sign players.

Yeah no panic.

I think there was a sense that the takeover talk of last January might have been impacting on any negotiations. IIRC, hadn't we also failed to confirm that Gary Teale was actually going to be in charge (ie not as an interim) until some point in January? Plus, a certain transfer away from SMFC then took place, with little time to find a replacement.

I realise this season is worse in many ways, but last season really was a textbook example of mismanagement of a football club from start to finish.

I guess what I'm saying is, yeah, it's a little bit worrying that we've not signed anyone, but at the same time, at least our manager knows he's the manager, and isn't going to lose Kenny McLean at the very end of the window.

Edited by Magic Monkey

Hasn't Rae himself said he has money to bring players in without moving any on?

I certainly got that impression when he spoke after the Livi game. It sounded like he had scope to add one or two before he had to start shipping folk out. I suppose he might have known at that point that Conlan and Reid were going and Ridgers would be getting binned. The extension of Watson's contract will also have impacted a wee bit I guess.

SPortsound also claimed after Friday's game that a signing had all but been sorted. Dunno what's happened with that one. Rather concerning that we're almost half way through the window and there's barely a murmur about players coming in, let alone an actual signing.

Edited by Stu

I certainly got that impression when he spoke after the Livi game. It sounded like he had scope to add one or two before he had to start shipping folk out. I suppose he might have known at that point that Conlan and Reid were going and Ridgers would be getting binned. The extension of Watson's contract will also have impacted a wee bit I guess.

SPortsound also claimed after Friday's game that a signing had all but been sorted. Dunno what's happened with that one. Rather concerning that we're almost half way through the window and there's barely a murmur about players coming in, let alone an actual signing.

Some of our better signings in recent times have occurred without any fanfare or rumour - Sutton, Adam, Dorman, Isma etc. Hopefully Rae is going about his business in a quiet but deliberate manner, and we'll see some movement soon enough.

I realise, as a journo, you might be slightly more ITK, or pick up on murmurs more than some of us, but really, how often do we really get 'murmurs' about players that actually sign on at Saints?

Most of the signings we do make tend to be completely out the blue and have rarely been telegraphed by any of the posters on here.

So, I agree that the lack of signings is mildly concerning, but the lack of murmurs I can take or leave, TBH.

Edit: beaten by Drew, making largely the same point. Must type faster.

Edited by Magic Monkey

Some of our better signings in recent times have occurred without any fanfare or rumour - Sutton, Adam, Dorman, Isma etc. Hopefully Rae is going about his business in a quiet but deliberate manner, and we'll see some movement soon enough.

From what I can see there's a lot of movement that will require a good stock of pampers.

I realise, as a journo, you might be slightly more ITK, or pick up on murmurs more than some of us, but really, how often do we really get 'murmurs' about players that actually sign on at Saints?

Most of the signings we do make tend to be completely out the blue and have rarely been telegraphed by any of the posters on here.

So, I agree that the lack of signings is mildly concerning, but the lack of murmurs I can take or leave, TBH.

Edit: beaten by Drew, making largely the same point. Must type faster.

As a journalist, I only hear rumours about players going to Dalbeattie Star or St Cuthbert Wanderers :lol:

From what I can remember Langfield, McMullan, Webster, Shankland and Agnew were all linked with us well before we signed them (or in Webster's case pitched up on trial) during the summer. Rae can go about his business as quietly as he likes but chances are agents or the selling club will leak names to drum up interest.

I'm just surprised there has been sod all on here or in the papers during January. There was stuff about Sutton just after Murray left, Fotheringham (and that was only after he was on trial) and the Mehmet stuff. That, aside from being mentioned as having been interested in guys as they find new clubs, is about it.

As a journalist, I only hear rumours about players going to Dalbeattie Star or St Cuthbert Wanderers :lol:

From what I can remember Langfield, McMullan, Webster, Shankland and Agnew were all linked with us well before we signed them (or in Webster's case pitched up on trial) during the summer. Rae can go about his business as quietly as he likes but chances are agents or the selling club will leak names to drum up interest.

I'm just surprised there has been sod all on here or in the papers during January. There was stuff about Sutton just after Murray left, Fotheringham (and that was only after he was on trial) and the Mehmet stuff. That, aside from being mentioned as having been interested in guys as they find new clubs, is about it.

We're also a diddy/diddier club, now, so the media, by and large, don't give a f**k about who might be coming or going. It's also worth bearing in mind that standard of players we will be looking at are unlikely to generate any excitement outwith B&WA and the stands in the 2021 Stadium. Unless we are looking at loans from Celtic or The Rangers, no-one gives a toss. Edited by Drew

We're also a diddy/diddier club, now, so the media, by and large, don't give a f**k about who might be coming or going. It's also worth bearing in mind that standard of players we will be looking at are unlikely to generate any excitement outwith B&WA and the stands in the 2021 Stadium. Unless we are looking at loans from Celtic or The Rangers, no-one gives a toss.

Alex Rae has quite a few pals in the media but you are right. In normal circumstances dropping down to this league always means less column inches in the papers, which to be honest we didn't get that much anyway. The only time we were mentioned on Sportscene was when Goodwin's elbow was disgracefully headbutted. Douglas McNeil is the best guy to keep an eye on, on twitter anyway and of course Div.

Eerily quiet though. I reckon he is doing a lot of work behind the scenes to get rid of a few guys.

There seems to be some confidence in the possibility of Alex Rae being able to do some business in the transfer market. I dont concur with this unfortunately.

I`d like to ask why he hasnt already got shot of the loan players who are completely useless and can be returned to their original clubs. I know he didnt sign them but half an hour at training would be enough to see the lack of ability.

I dont doubt someone will be signed but I already have my suspicion that AR isnt going to be a success here.I could be wrong of course and hope to be proved thus, for Saints sake.

There seems to be some confidence in the possibility of Alex Rae being able to do some business in the transfer market. I dont concur with this unfortunately.

I`d like to ask why he hasnt already got shot of the loan players who are completely useless and can be returned to their original clubs. I know he didnt sign them but half an hour at training would be enough to see the lack of ability.

I dont doubt someone will be signed but I already have my suspicion that AR isnt going to be a success here.I could be wrong of course and hope to be proved thus, for Saints sake.

Two have already gone. Conlon and Reid.