First Saints Game That You Can Remember Attending

Kendo

The Bobby Duffy thread got me thinking.

What's your early memories of the first saints game that you cam remember attending?

The first game I can remember with some sketchy details is a 3-2 victory at Ibrox. Tottie Beck an Icelandic centre forward scored possibly 3 goals that day, I can't really remember. Not only that we had 2 goals turned down.

I also remember an earlier cup game where Accies put us out the cup in a shock 1-0 victory.

Not sure of the years that these games happened.

It was a Wed night Home game against Hearts around 69-70? I was still at school and went with some schoolmates as no-one in my family was interested in football - I'd be around 15 at the time. I think we got beat but my overriding memory was the atmosphere in the old North Bank with the derelict tenements backing onto that side of the ground giving it a very eerie feeling in contrast to the excitement of the songs being sung by two rival sets of supporters only a few yards apart with no barrier and no stewards and plenty of alcohol!. Glass and pish rained down as bottles with thrown at the metal trusses supporting the roof to smash above the opposition fans. I quickly stood on the periphery of this entertainment but goodness knows what was happening on the pitch as the terracing was more interesting!

I could not stop talking about it as we walked back to Glenburn after the match (and we had walked to the game as well!) That was me hooked but the next game was more tame on the terracing and I got to see some of the match smile.png

Edited by Sonny

First game of what turned out to be the Fergie's Furies title winning season. 1-1 draw with East Fife, both goals were own goals.

A more difficult question would be to remember the last Saints home league game that I actually saw us win. Seriously, with illness and holidays clashing with a few, I genuinely cannot remember.

1967 St Mirren beat Rangers 1 - 0

If it was the Hugh Gilshan game then it was '68. My first game too, I was taken by my Dad & Uncle and lifted over the turnstyle. Don't really remember anything about the game though. Was an irregular attender until the 76/77 season - just another gloryhunter!

PS - No. 1 that week was the Hugh Montenegro Orchestra with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly......

Can remember a selection of games from the Millenium Champions season, would've been 10/11 at the time.

One of my early standout memories was Ludo Roy saving a late pen against someone, just before he left. Can anyone remember what game that was? cloud9.gif

I remember he saved a late penalty against Abroath, former Saints 'player' Andy Dow missed it, if he scored that we were in real danger of relegation.

I can remember standing in Cairters Corner and Campbell Money taking a bad knock to the head but can't for the life of me remember the opposition.

My first away game was the Raith Rovers 7-0 one , weirdly hooked ever since!!

The bad knock was probably the Scottish Cup tie with Dundee Utd where Sturruck booted him in the face and he dropped the ball for Utd to score. They went on to win 4-1 and Money was taken off with a broken nose. The goal stood.

No.1 song for various posters first home games.............

El Gingero: David Soul - Don't Give Up On Us Baby

pozbaird: Abba - Dancing Queen

Sonny: Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Woman

Finished work early today and I'm on Job&Go so I'm still getting paid - Kerching!

PS - I'm sure I should have better things to do but then again.................

Edited by Bud the Baker

No.1 song for various posters first home games.............

El Gingero: David Soul - Don't Give Up On Us Baby

pozbaird: Abba - Dancing Queen

Sonny: Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Woman

Finished work early today and I'm on Job&Go so I'm still getting paid - Kerching!

PS - I'm sure I should have better things to do but then again.................

I am certainly winning in the musical stakes! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-hMQWqVVzw

First Saints home game - April 1981 v Partick Thistle. 2-0 down at half time to two Tony Higgins goals only for supersub Alan Logan to rattle in a second half hat-trick.

First Saints away game - Scottish Cup tie v Airdrie in 1983. Game held up for fifteen minutes to let the huge Saints travelling support in and Billy Stark killed the game stone dead with a hat trick in the first 15 minutes. Also notable for the segregation being a piece of rope and the Saints fans attacking the 'famous' Section B.

Happy days!

No earlier than that I think?

It was before they won the cup in 87 I think?

Cheers just looked it up, It happened in 85. Sadly I was born in 86 lol.gif . I remember him taking a bad one but if i remember right he was one of the bravest keepers going. Seen him take a few knocks!

Cairters Corner was brilliant. I was a mascot mid 90's against Accies ( Andy Millen was their captain! ) thankfully my Uncle recorded the whole thing from Cairters Corner ad I've had it converted to DVD so I can see the Northbank and terracing in all its prime.

1967 St Mirren beat Rangers 1 - 0

If that was the game played on a fairly foggy day, it was mine too.

I was taken by a Rangers supporting neighbour and we stood near the enclosure below the stand, on the other side from Cairters. I think it was one of those just happy to be getting taken to an actual match things for me (I would have been 11) and when St Mirren won, well, they were from that point onwards my team.

Campbell Money taking a bad knock could have been any number of games. I can think of at least five occasions, off the top of my head, when he was knocked out/stretchered off, etc.

Paul Sturrock

Ian Baird v Hearts at Love Street.

Craig Robertson at Pittodrie.

F*ck knows at Cappielow in 92/3.

Some dirty bastard at Tynecastle in the 85/6 cup QF.

I regard my first proper game, when I actually knew where I was and was interested, as a 2-2 draw with Hibs in February 1982.

We were having a serious attempt to win the Premier League at the time. We were sitting 2nd and were disappointed to have dropped a point to pish like Hibs. In the next home game we beat Dundee United in front of 10000 to qualify for our 2nd cup semi-final of the season.

That's how I got hooked. Fair play to anyone who managed to get hooked during the Bone, Coughlan, etc eras.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premier-division/1981-1982/table/1982-02-20

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1981&GameID=1926

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

If it was the Hugh Gilshan game then it was '68. My first game too, I was taken by my Dad & Uncle and lifted over the turnstyle. Don't really remember anything about the game though. Was an irregular attender until the 76/77 season - just another gloryhunter!

PS - No. 1 that week was the Hugh Montenegro Orchestra with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly......

That's the first one I have clear memories of, although I had been going to games for a few years before then. It was certainly the first I attended against either of the Od Scum.