First Saints Game That You Can Remember Attending

Kendo

Campbell Money taking a bad knock could have been any number of games. I can think of at least five occasions, off the top of my head, when he was knocked out/stretchered off, etc.

Paul Sturrock

Ian Baird v Hearts at Love Street.

Craig Robertson at Pittodrie.

F*ck knows at Cappielow in 92/3.

Some dirty bastard at Tynecastle in the 85/6 cup QF.

The Cappielow one is where Dibble broke his leg after colliding with Derek McInnes

Tynecastle was that wee shite John Colquhoun. Shower of hammer-throwers.

Tynecastle was that wee shite John Colquhoun. Shower of hammer-throwers.

Alex MacDonald said Campbell was play acting.laugh.png

There was a picture of Dibble on the deck, looking like Marvin Hagler had just caught him on the chin. He was quite obviously concussed.

Those two pricks would soon move on and turn Airdrie into vermin as well.

First Saints home game - April 1981 v Partick Thistle. 2-0 down at half time to two Tony Higgins goals only for supersub Alan Logan to rattle in a second half hat-trick.

First Saints away game - Scottish Cup tie v Airdrie in 1983. Game held up for fifteen minutes to let the huge Saints travelling support in and Billy Stark killed the game stone dead with a hat trick in the first 15 minutes. Also notable for the segregation being a piece of rope and the Saints fans attacking the 'famous' Section B.

Happy days!

I remember the Thistle game well, my dad didn't like football so my mum used to take me, I told her that wee Logan was a great player and then he came on and scored a hat-trick. Pity he never really progressed the way he should have.

My first planned game was postponed, I was gutted. Struggling to remember my first actual game but I think it was maybe v Dundee in the 79/80 season, might have won 2-0 or 2-1.

Edited by Hendo

Alex MacDonald said Campbell was play acting.laugh.png

There was a picture of Dibble on the deck, looking like Marvin Hagler had just caught him on the chin. He was quite obviously concussed.

Those two pricks would soon move on and turn Airdrie into vermin as well.

Hearts were utter pondlife with hatchet men like Berry, Kidd, Sandison et al in their ranks.

A grim debut for me with a 3-0 home defeat to Aberdeen on or around xmas eve 1983. Got slightly better in my next 2. Beat Motherwell 2-1 at love St then drew 0-0 away at Ibrox in the week leading up to that new year. Stayed in Bridge of Weir over that xmas and a local arranged for me to go to Ibrox with a mini bus full of rangers fans. I sat at the game as an undercover saint, quietly hoping for a saints win.

A grim debut for me with a 3-0 home defeat to Aberdeen on or around xmas eve 1983. Got slightly better in my next 2. Beat Motherwell 2-1 at love St then drew 0-0 away at Ibrox in the week leading up to that new year. Stayed in Bridge of Weir over that xmas and a local arranged for me to go to Ibrox with a mini bus full of rangers fans. I sat at the game as an undercover saint, quietly hoping for a saints win.

Absolutely pishing down at the Aberdeen game, just to add to the fun.

The Old Scum game had been called off, late on, the same day as the Motherwell game. There were actually Rangers fans, complete with scarves, who showed up at the Main Stand corner of the away end to take in our game instead. It's hard to imagine either of the filth lowering themselves to attend a diddy game these days.

I'm not sure if my first was a midweek game at Firhill against Thistle or the game at Ibrox as a neutral venue against Timmy. Must've been a cup semi and Ibrox was still being renovated. I think we were winning but remember them scoring an equaliser from the spot. Can anyone help as my memory is fading ?

I'm sure it was 1-1 at Ibrox with McDougall scoring

Should have pumped them as well

1976/ 1977 v Montrose( I think) a draw ( I think). ( lots of thinking going on) loved the atmosphere, felt like there was a real connection between the players and the fans. This was one of the big attractions for me and as a youngster as I'd always hated the seethe and hate of the old firm where their cause had nothing to do with football. In those days we felt we knew fitzy, stark, donald( give us a wave) hunter, sanny beckett etc. Jeez I'm nearly greetin'! Our present crop could do with a wee visit from guys from that era.

2 Jan 1968. Saints Vs Stranraer in the old 1st division. Saints won 2-0, and it was raining heavily.

I was in the main stand courtesy of a kind neighbour of my granny.

http://www.stmirren.info/id315.html

p.s. Saints had won 3-0 at Ayr the day before.

p.p.s. Big Jim scored No.2 at my first game.

If it was the Hugh Gilshan game then it was '68. My first game too, I was taken by my Dad & Uncle and lifted over the turnstyle. Don't really remember anything about the game though. Was an irregular attender until the 76/77 season - just another gloryhunter!

PS - No. 1 that week was the Hugh Montenegro Orchestra with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly......

that's the one Colin it was a foggy day remember that much plus some great players in that team. Pinkerton remember him.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1968&GameID=1207

Airdrie v Saints Cup Tie is the first I mind.

It was the weird Broomfield Hen Hoose that sticks in my head.

Don't even know if I was taken to replay.

Haven't a clue if I was taken to Love Street that Season.

Definetly the next Season though.

To which Games, I know nothing.

My first game was January 1978 against Ayr utd, remember we lost 3 - 2. Iain Munro scored from a free kick.

Tidy attendance tae.

Feed Munro, Munro and let him have a go, feed Munro.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=1674