First Saints Game That You Can Remember Attending

Kendo

Like a few on here I can't remember my first match because I was only about 4 years old and probably did not watch the game as I spent the time playing on the pile of sand at the side of the main stand. Once I was a wee bit older the cry of "ERRAMACAROONBARS" was irresistable. Usually you were able to catch up with the latest team news before the match with the early editions of either the pink Evening Times or the green Evening Citizen. In these days I stayed in North Street and my uncles used to meet up at our house before going to the match. In my teenage years the normal routine on a Saturday was playing schools football in the morning followed by BB and later amateur football in the afternoon and if the game was at the Racecourse it was a quick dash to Love Street to see the last 10 minutes or so of St Mirren's game (including reserve matches) once the gates were opened to let the fans out.

One of the perks in staying in North Street was that some of the players (Davie Lapsley, Campbell Forsyth Jackie Nielson and others) used to park their cars in the grounds of Mathie Potato Merchants and were impressed with the footy skills of Sheena the collie dog who usually played in goals with us - unfortunately she is no longer available for selection!

And then if you wanted to forget about the result it was a night spent in front of the black & white TV set watching Dixon of Dock Green followed by the Billy Cotton Band show and then Perry Mason.

Exciting times!

Do you remember the first game you took me to? Fairly sure I missed the Ferguson era and it was when Jim Clunie was in his first season and I was primary 1. Don't remember much except being taken to sit on the wall and being lifted over the turnstiles and we would usually be in the enclosure, occasionally in the main stand and sometimes behind the goals at the Love Street end.

I do remember being told not to repeat the song about Andy Ritchie when I got home or else mum would ban us both from going to Love Street.

My 1st match was in 1967. A very young Gordon McQueen and Archie Gemmell were playing for us. I do not remember who we played, but I think we won 2 v 1 at home.

Who is the stats expert who can suggest who it might have been against?

Gemmell left Saints in 67 and McQueen made his debut in 70 mate.

We won 2 home games by 2-1 in 1967....

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1967&GameID=1127

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1967&GameID=1133

I was always told my 1st game was a reserve match v Hearts.Back then the Reserves played against the same team as the 1st team.With this info I worked out my 1st game must have been on the 19th Nov 1966.I have no idea of the score but the 1st team lost 4-0 at Tynecastle.

Edited by HSS

My Grandson 10 and Myself are newcomers, I used to live in Dumbarton and watched the Sons regularly,

Around 3 Years ago I took my wee Fella around a few grounds to see which team he fancied. Killie Motherwell Thistle

The only team who welcomed us were the Saints.it was just after the cup win ,I asked if he could see the cup.

We were taken to the board room Johnny was handed the cup and told right carry it down to the pitch and get photos.

As you can imagine he was delighted.

I tried him out for half a season to see if he liked it,that year we got half seasons and the first game we went to we beat Dundee Utd 4-1

Think Johnny thought it was like that every week lol

I explained that a team like Saints will not win all the time but when they you will enjoy it more than old firm fans who except the divine right to win every week.

We have stuck by the team through our recent bad spell and when we got relegated ,that night My lass phoned me and said "whats this all about Johnny is in his bedroom breaking his heart" I told her its the passion of supporting your team.If he gets through this season we'll be fine

Love going with him as i now have a reason to go every 2nd week

Mine was a 2-1 win at Cappielow in about 94. Stood down the front of the Cowshed, couldn't believe the noise and the atmosphere, don't remember all that much about the game itself. In fact, I would have sworn it was 3-1 but, by chance, I spoke to my uncle about it at the weekend. Hooked after that.

Do you remember the first game you took me to? Fairly sure I missed the Ferguson era and it was when Jim Clunie was in his first season and I was primary 1. Don't remember much except being taken to sit on the wall and being lifted over the turnstiles and we would usually be in the enclosure, occasionally in the main stand and sometimes behind the goals at the Love Street end.

I do remember being told not to repeat the song about Andy Ritchie when I got home or else mum would ban us both from going to Love Street.

Are you joking - at my age?

However it was during the start of the Jim Clunie era - 1978/81.

And your mother still does not know about the Andy Ritchie chant - although it might not be so bad getting banned now!

I remember going along to Love st as a wean with my cousin and uncle back in the early 70''s probably around 1971-72. I remember us playing in blue in a game possibly a Scotland strip but I could be havering. Anyway as I got older I would go to Love St on my own and turn up to get my spot in the North Bank about 1.30pm only to get shunted out of my spot as the hordes gathered.

That f**ked me off as an 11 year old and I would sit down the front with my legs stuck through the rails as the stiffs warmed up. Still it meant I could run on the pitch for autographs. I moved into the North Bank after the **** ran riot in the 3-3 game after the Saints fans threw bottles to stop the mob getting into the Northbank, unaware I was honing my fighting skills down at the front whilst dodging bottles.

We did wear a navy second kit for one season and up to the early 70s the home team changed so you are likely to be right. Remember Brian Third playing in that kit.

First game I remember is a game against Montrose which I think was either 75 or 76. I was only 6 or 7 at the time.

First away came that I can really remember was the Motherwell cup game in 77 with about 20 people in the back of Alan McCaw's transit van that delivered the rolls in from the bakery.

I vaguely remember a 7-0 doing at Parkhead. Would've been around 78/79 or 79/80.

March 1981. The only reason this game sticks in my mind was it was one of only a few that I missed home and away from 1978 through to about 2001. Instead I remember being in the back of my Dad's car straining to listen to Super Scoreboard on Radio Clyde while he drove us all somewhere. For some reason I had it in my head that McGarvey scored 5 for Celtic that day but it turns out it was only 3.

post-306-0-29898800-1451964352_thumb.jpg

My eldest sons first match was a 5-0 defeat at Dens Park against Dundee in November 2000. He was 2 years old. My Mum and Dad were supposed to be babysitting him while I went to the game but we had a bit of an argument and they told me they wouldn't look after him. I think they assumed that would f**k up my afternoon, but instead he came with me and had a grand time ripping up programmes and throwing the paper down onto the pitch.

Thanks for this - I was very young, and can only guess when it was - so I think my 1st game must have been in the year 1970. McQueen was only a few games into the team - so perhaps my dad told me that Gemmell, the Scotland star HAD played for Saints, rather than WAS playing.

I was always told my 1st game was a reserve match v Hearts.Back then the Reserves played against the same team as the 1st team.With this info I worked out my 1st game must have been on the 19th Nov 1966.I have no idea of the score but the 1st team lost 4-0 at Tynecastle.

Same season for me and also a reserve game v RFC , think we lost 8 or 9 nil. I remember my dad telling me that Rangers had lost at Berwick the week before ! Jim Forrest scored abut 6 of their goals ! First team lost 3-0 at Ibrox the same day !

Edited by billyg

Struggling to remember first game. First season was 67/68 old second division. I remember thinking even at my tender age FFS this team never lose. Hooked ever since. Was I conned ? lol.gif

Stats for that season in link below. I wasn't far wrong about them never losing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%9368_in_Scottish_football

March 1981. The only reason this game sticks in my mind was it was one of only a few that I missed home and away from 1978 through to about 2001. Instead I remember being in the back of my Dad's car straining to listen to Super Scoreboard on Radio Clyde while he drove us all somewhere. For some reason I had it in my head that McGarvey scored 5 for Celtic that day but it turns out it was only 3.

attachicon.gifGW912H1186.jpg

81, really?! I would've bet the house that it was before I started Primary School. Old age effecting my memory!!