First Saints Game That You Can Remember Attending

Kendo

Last day of 84/85 season beat Hearts 5-2 to qualify for Europe.

Remember being scared to leave Love Street at end of game as they had loads of scum fans/casuals outside ready to do us in when final whistle went.

My 2nd game ironically 2nd game of next season beat Hearts again 6-2 this time.

Saw highlights of 6-2 game on here a while back some great football that day.

First game was in 1981 against Rangers in the September. Patchy memories of a 1-1 draw.

First game I have decent memories of was Slavia Prague at home.

Went to it with my neighbour Alan Thomson and his twin brother Craig who went on to make a name for himself.

St Mirren v Partick Thistle in 1978. A boring 1-1 draw. The way I remember it was it was Jimmy Bones debut for the Saints. Thistle took the lead when Donald Hunter pulled down a Thistle player in the box. Higgins scored from the spot. In the second half Jimmy Bone netted from about 2 yards when he got onto the end of a cross.

edited to add

Turns out it was 4th February 1978 and it was Bobby Reid, not Jimmy Bone, who scored the equaliser.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Too long ago....

Me too! lol ... however I do have sketchy memories of playing in the sand-pit at the side of the stand in 1952 or 53 and of our goalie, Bob Park wearing a Blue jersey, being stretchered off in a game. I also remember beating Bury 6-0 in a friendly and 6 swans flying overhead as we left the ground! Thanks to the excellent St Mirren programme archive, I found out that the Bury game was May 1954.

Edited by mcd54

Nov 1973 against Montrose, 2-0 to the Saints,

I'm pretty sure I remember one of our goals going straight through the net which

were all patched up and in a bit of a state, as if we couldn't afford a decent set of nets,

could this be true? I was really young at the time..[/quote

I can remember big Gordon McQueen scoring after a 40 yard run and the ball went under the bottom of the loose netting Might have been that one? Might even be the game featured in my avatar which is Ally MacLeod v Montrose from about that time

Edited by Danny

Early 90's against Hearts. 91 maybe? Was winter, I was freezing.

Guni scored a free kick and we won. I was standing right behind it in the terracing that was to become the PDX/Reid Kerr stand.

Sure we won 2-1. Anyone remember the match better?

Guni scored a free kick and we won. I was standing right behind it in the terracing that was to become the PDX/Reid Kerr stand.

I remember the game, we got the free kick ss Henry Smith kept overstepping his box when kicking ball out...

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1990&GameID=2439

Wasn't that game Guni scored a header

The one Lex is talking about we won 2-0 and Billy Davis scored the other goal also a cracker

About Christmas time it was

Yes, lambert scored the first at the Caledonia end from either a blocked free kick rebound or a short free kick played to him, can't remember, then guni scored a header at the love St end

Being Kirkintilloch born and bred, into a family of bluenoses, i surprised a few by rebelling and choosing The Saints. After months of pestering Dad caved in and took me to my first match . Motherwell V Saints October 9th 1982. Thomson,Wilson,Clarke,Fitzpatrick,McAveety,Copland,McDougall,Stark,McAvennie,Richardson and Scanlon. (Oh to have a few of that standard now). We lost 2-0 but I was hooked. Season ticket as a birthday present every year til I joined the Navy

I remember going along to Love st as a wean with my cousin and uncle back in the early 70''s probably around 1971-72. I remember us playing in blue in a game possibly a Scotland strip but I could be havering. Anyway as I got older I would go to Love St on my own and turn up to get my spot in the North Bank about 1.30pm only to get shunted out of my spot as the hordes gathered.

That f**ked me off as an 11 year old and I would sit down the front with my legs stuck through the rails as the stiffs warmed up. Still it meant I could run on the pitch for autographs. I moved into the North Bank after the **** ran riot in the 3-3 game after the Saints fans threw bottles to stop the mob getting into the Northbank, unaware I was honing my fighting skills down at the front whilst dodging bottles.

Must admit I can't recall the specific date but it was about season 1980/81, a cup tie against Stenhousemuir at Love St, aged about 9 or 10. Recall standing at the wall in the bend where the Love St end became the North Bank and thinking 'wow' I'd never seen so many people in the one place ! ????

My dad used to take back in the sixties. I've no idea what my first game would've been.

We used to go on the terracing and wander round at half time so we were always behind the goals Saints were shooting in to.

As a wee kid the football wasn't going to hold my attention for 90 minutes but that was OK because there were plenty of ring pulls from beer cans lying about the ground. With a bit of practice you could use the springy hole covering bit to fire the circular fingery bit into the distance frisbee style.

When watching the game we liked to sit on the low wall seperating the terracing from the track. A couple of coppers had the job of wandering round the track during the game and they alway had to tell you to get your feet on the other side of the wall. That of course meant facing away from the pitch, not what we wanted then although we'd probably be fine with it now.

Like a few on here I can't remember my first match because I was only about 4 years old and probably did not watch the game as I spent the time playing on the pile of sand at the side of the main stand. Once I was a wee bit older the cry of "ERRAMACAROONBARS" was irresistable. Usually you were able to catch up with the latest team news before the match with the early editions of either the pink Evening Times or the green Evening Citizen. In these days I stayed in North Street and my uncles used to meet up at our house before going to the match. In my teenage years the normal routine on a Saturday was playing schools football in the morning followed by BB and later amateur football in the afternoon and if the game was at the Racecourse it was a quick dash to Love Street to see the last 10 minutes or so of St Mirren's game (including reserve matches) once the gates were opened to let the fans out.

One of the perks in staying in North Street was that some of the players (Davie Lapsley, Campbell Forsyth Jackie Nielson and others) used to park their cars in the grounds of Mathie Potato Merchants and were impressed with the footy skills of Sheena the collie dog who usually played in goals with us - unfortunately she is no longer available for selection!

And then if you wanted to forget about the result it was a night spent in front of the black & white TV set watching Dixon of Dock Green followed by the Billy Cotton Band show and then Perry Mason.

Exciting times!

Edited by northstbuddie

My older childrens first matches were during the Bone era. We all went home and away then. Not much success but they stuck by it and got their reward with the magnificent Millennium Season with The Tom Hendrie Masterclass.

My wee yin is 7 now and her first match was v Ayr which we won 5-1 in the League Cup 2012/13.

That was her hooked and she was rewarded by being at Hampden for St Mirren's Day. She loved the Open Top Bus.

She has asked when will it happen again.

Soon I say.

Like a few on here I can't remember my first match because I was only about 4 years old and probably did not watch the game as I spent the time playing on the pile of sand at the side of the main stand. Once I was a wee bit older the cry of "ERRAMACAROONBARS" was irresistable. Usually you were able to catch up with the latest team news before the match with the early editions of either the pink Evening Times or the green Evening Citizen. In these days I stayed in North Street and my uncles used to meet up at our house before going to the match. In my teenage years the normal routine on a Saturday was playing schools football in the morning followed by BB and later amateur football in the afternoon and if the game was at the Racecourse it was a quick dash to Love Street to see the last 10 minutes or so of St Mirren's game (including reserve matches) once the gates were opened to let the fans out.

One of the perks in staying in North Street was that some of the players (Davie Lapsley, Campbell Forsyth Jackie Nielson and others) used to park their cars in the grounds of Mathie Potato Merchants and were impressed with the footy skills of Sheena the collie dog who usually played in goals with us - unfortunately she is no longer available for selection!

And then if you wanted to forget about the result it was a night spent in front of the black & white TV set watching Dixon of Dock Green followed by the Billy Cotton Band show and then Perry Mason.

Exciting times!

Some great early memories, I loved "the evening all" from Dixon.

My older childrens first matches were during the Bone era. We all went home and away then. Not much success but they stuck by it and got their reward with the magnificent Millennium Season with The Tom Hendrie Masterclass.

My wee yin is 7 now and her first match was v Ayr which we won 5-1 in the League Cup 2012/13.

That was her hooked and she was rewarded by being at Hampden for St Mirren's Day. She loved the Open Top Bus.

She has asked when will it happen again.

Soon I say.

You little liar Shully!

MY first match was in the mid 50s. We lived in Seedhill Road and remember my father taking me to Love Street to see Saints play Hamilton Accies. All I remember from that day was seeing Jackie Neilson playing as he lived close to East End Park which was close by. Been a life long fan ever since and brought my two boys up to be fans as well. Have some wonderful memories ..... seeing players like Lapsley, Neilson, Bryceland, Gemmell etc from the 59 team and not forgetting George Mclean, Jimmy Robertson, Gordon McQueen, and many others. Have seem some right dross as well but there isn't enough space to list them all. Missed the Fergie years due to living in England but was always the first score I looked for.

Got to admit this is about the worst Saints team I have seen but there is always tomorrow and things can only get better