Best Renfrewshire Derby Memories

Following on from the 'First Saints Game' thread and this weekend being derby day then whats your favourite moment?

For me - that 3-0 win at Cappielow in November 1995 which avenged the 4-1 taking we had taken at Love Street earlier in the season. Which also was Lavety's first derby game back since his flirtation with taking some disco biscuits. Who can forget Bazza silencing the Greenock fannies in their toilet of a Cowshed with that bicycle kick. And I'm also sure that was the game where Wullie Leggatt sported a gumshield in readiness for the post match boxing!

The 6-3 game where Donny McDowell and their keeper were sent off for some handbag moments.

The drunkest I have ever been at a football match. It was New Year's Day and my mate had a bottle of whisky. We were 3-0 down after 30 mins if I remember correctly when the sendings off took place. Then came the comeback with a large slug of whisky taken every time we scored! New Year's night was a total, but happy, blur :)

That was Derek Collins.

I don't know if there's more than one incident here, but the one I'm recalling happened in a game where a knee-sliding 'Dodger presented himself to the Saints fans in the Cowshed, under the impression that he had just scored a late winner...only for it to be disallowed. The new year game in '93 seems to be the one.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1992&GameID=2565

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

Three games into the 84/5 season. Morton are joint top of the league with Aberdeen.

Morton 0-4 Saints

Saints end up with a UEFA Cup place.

Morton get relegated by miles.

Roasting it was that day

A couple of tickets came into our end of the fence and started singing Morton songs

Got leathered and lifted into the bargain

The game TRZ refers to in his opening post but in a different way.

Cast your mind back to the last millennium in the days before mobile phones were ubiquitous. I was on holiday with my partner in Fuerteventura we were renting an apartment which was clean but Spartan with no TV (I don't know if it was the norm back then, even now I don't like to watch TV on holiday I like to get away from it all) anyway there was a shop nearby which sold British newspapers two days late so on the Tuesday morning I went into the shop to check the result shull stylee and was delighted to see we'd won 3-0.

Just as I was leaving the shop a guy in one of the faux tartan tops they had in the mid-90's obviously with the same idea as me came in, I smiled and said "3-0 to the Saints" and he replied "Yer fuckin' jokin'" and went to check for himself. Never seen him before, never seen him since but I like to think I brought a little misery into his life.

Scottish Cup tie at Cappielow en route to winning the cup. Wee Morton ballboy turns and gives Fergie dug's abuse after he (eventually!) rattles in the penalty rebound, then later in the game the wee shite gets wiped out by a Morton player trying to clear the ball off the line. All captured on TV to enjoy again, and again, and again, and....

The drunkest I have ever been at a football match. It was New Year's Day and my mate had a bottle of whisky. We were 3-0 down after 30 mins if I remember correctly when the sendings off took place. Then came the comeback with a large slug of whisky taken every time we scored! New Year's night was a total, but happy, blur smile.png

You were definitely drunk. We were 2-0 down. They scored again very late on.

I don't know if there's more than one incident here, but the one I'm recalling happened in a game where a knee-sliding 'Dodger presented himself to the Saints fans in the Cowshed, under the impression that he had just scored a late winner...only for it to be disallowed. The new year game in '93 seems to be the one.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1992&GameID=2565

In the 3-0 game they definitely had a goal disallowed at 0-0. I think Derek Scrimgour was in goals that day.

The day Yardley scored was just glorious. Coughlin in temporary charge, 2-0 down at half-time, David Hopkin booked for blowing kisses to the Saints fans, the Morton fans singing "See you next year", Martin Cameron getting one back with a pish header, Simon Lappin's first career goal bursting the net, Brian McGinty being sent off, one of their Aussie brothers being sent off in extra-time than Yards wandering through the defence for his last ever Saints goal sparking what I think the kids these days call "SCENES".

Also remember a 5-1 thumping in 92 or 93 where we were three or four up after a quarter of an hour with a couple of goals. The Saints fans were singing "McGraw must stay" at one point to wind up the soapdodgers.

Edited by Stu

Winning the lucky programme in the early 80s and getting to meet some of the players and get autographs after the Ne-erday game... think it finished 3-3.

It was 1 January 1980 and it finished 2-2, with Doug Somner scoring Saints' two goals.

It was also the only game played in the premier league that day because of sub-zero temperatures.

As DOP's father I got accompanying him to meet Jim Clunie and the players after the game.

If Danny Lennon felt hard done to what about the great Jim Clunie - took St Mirren to their highest finish (3rd) in the premier league and then was sacked not long after for his efforts. Suppose that puts him in the same exclusive club as Alex Ferguson..

Jim Clunie was also the greatest uncapped Saints player I have seen in over 60 years of supporting St Mirren.

Thought the World was coming to an end on 12th March 1977

The smelly cnuts ended our long unbeaten League run.

I was upset.

Thought we wid miss out on promotion.

Shouldnae have knickerwetted. it all turned out right on the night. ( 19/4/77 )

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=1622

Edited by shull

You were definitely drunk. We were 2-0 down. They scored again very late on.

LOL. Aye, I wasn't much of a whisky drinker before that and of course we had been partying all night - a mate's (wonderful) girlfriend drove us bunch of drunks down to Greenock and came back for us! Developed a taste for it since that game though :)