Best Renfrewshire Derby Memories

The 1977 New Years Day game was one of the first away games that my dad took me and my brother to. For some reason we were sat in the Main Stand at their end. There were some vocal Buddies in the vicinity though. Looking back it was probably carnage but made a great impression on us both.

Most of our 90's wins down there seem to merge. I remember going there and no one fancying us. Paul McIntyre hammered that long haired prick Rajamaki in the first 5mins and he spent the rest of the game shiting it. Might have been the same game but I remember big Yards firing a left foot shot in off the post at their end and then charging down the pitch to celebrate at our side of the fence. Think we won that 3-0 as well.

I remember a cracking game a few years ago down there, we won 3-1 with goals from Jim Dick, Mendes and a belter from Bubbles.

Pretty sure they were top of the league

Think that was the one where Jim Dick was accused of baring his arse at the scum fans after he scored!

In the 3-0 game they definitely had a goal disallowed at 0-0. I think Derek Scrimgour was in goals that day.

Falling down the hill at the back of the cowshed, when I decided it was a good idea to go that way to skip the queue waiting to use the stairs. It was in jan 93 1-1. Mcinnes scored for them

I've been pretending I'm not sure, out of respect, up until now.

But, categorically, having equalised shortly beforehand, Morton then 'scored' a late 'winner' down at at the Wee Dublin end in the 1993 new year game.

The 'scorer' came jubilantly sliding on his knees straight to towards the Saints fans in the Cowshed.

Oh how we laughed when the penny dropped that it had been disallowed.oops.gif

That was Derek Collins.

Yep....Collins definitely did it. Collins used to play at the same Boys Club as me and during the warm up he'd clocked me taking my position in the shed and nodded over. I shouted something at him - I can't remember what it was - and he shouted back that he was going to score. Just at that point some of the St Mirren fans started a chorus of that terrible song about McGraw having no legs and never walking again, Collins heard it, looked utterly repulsed and shook his head in disapproval. When the game started he looked really fired up and when Morton scored he came straight over to the Shed to celebrate - I'm not even sure it was him that netted - only for the ref to disallow the goal and for him to get a torrent of abuse.

I think my favourite St Mirren win in a Renfrewshire Derby would be the Scottish Cup one in 1987 just because it had looked really unlikely that St Mirren would win when Morton went 2-1 up. The way I remember it was St Mirren had been really poor after taking the lead and when Alexander equalised it looked like if there was going to be a winner it would be Morton. Fortunately that team had more character to it than the current mob

Yardley scoring in front of the away fans at Love Street sparking major protest from the unwashed ?

Did it end 3-1? Or 3-2?

Edit - that was the 1-1 game in 2000.

He scored a good solo goal in the 3-2 game that's season.

What about Scott Walker's goal at Cappielow the same season? Cleared the ball, charged forward, took a return pass, fed it out wide than got into the box to head home!

The drunkest I have ever been at a football match. It was New Year's Day and my mate had a bottle of whisky. We were 3-0 down after 30 mins if I remember correctly when the sendings off took place. Then came the comeback with a large slug of whisky taken every time we scored! New Year's night was a total, but happy, blur :)

Most enjoyable day out I've ever had a a game of football.

Hyslop and their goalie were sent off 5 minutes before half time. Should've been McDowall instead of Hyslop but the ref never got a proper view of the handbags.

They put a wee short-arse called Townsend in goal, he was playing his last ever game for them before emigrating to Australia. We were 2 - 0 down at the time but Bobby Reid got one back before the break, they put someone else in goal for the second half but we ran riot.

I can remember with about 5 minutes to go we were 5 - 2 up and their fans were streaming towards the exits. However they hesitated a bit when Ritchie made it 5 - 3 and they were ready to be right up for it again when straight from the kick-off they nearly scored a fourth. That was it though, within seconds we were scoring at the other end and their terracing was instantly deserted.

My first ever Renfrewshire derby was the game at Love Street in c.1991 (I think) where Morton won 3-2 but David Elliot scored THAT goal. I was 12 or 13 at the time, and it was the first game I went to with friends rather than my Aunt & Uncle. I remember the atmosphere in the North Bank being brilliant.

Ah, those were the days.

Mark Yardley's winner in the 3-2 League Cup win at Crappielow back in '02.

We were behind, we had a man sent off (McGinty?) then the big man scored what I think was his last goal for us - a glorious solo effort Maradona would've been proud of.

Was that the same game where yards tried to waste a bit of time near the end of the game by shielding the ball near the Morton corner flag and promptly knocked it out on his first dribble?

From the sublime to the ridiculous , it made me and my mates laugh anyway !

Edited by ped

In the 3-0 game they definitely had a goal disallowed at 0-0. I think Derek Scrimgour was in goals that day.

The day Yardley scored was just glorious. Coughlin in temporary charge, 2-0 down at half-time, David Hopkin booked for blowing kisses to the Saints fans, the Morton fans singing "See you next year", Martin Cameron getting one back with a pish header, Simon Lappin's first career goal bursting the net, Brian McGinty being sent off, one of their Aussie brothers being sent off in extra-time than Yards wandering through the defence for his last ever Saints goal sparking what I think the kids these days call "SCENES".

Also remember a 5-1 thumping in 92 or 93 where we were three or four up after a quarter of an hour with a couple of goals. The Saints fans were singing "McGraw must stay" at one point to wind up the soapdodgers.

January '94 - played midweek after being rained off at Ne'erday (well the 2nd IIRC), a rank Morton team that would've been relegated authentically and not just due to the league reconstruction that season going from three divisions to four, Saints sat back at 4-0 despite the crowd calling for 10. Morton scored one in the second half and we ran up the pitch to restore the 4 goal margin but if they had wanted to they could have easily made it one for the record books. Who knows maybe they were conserving energy for the coming Saturday game.

Not often you come away from a 5-1 victory feeling just a little disappointed.

Edited by Bud the Baker

There was a thread on here years ago asking people to list their top 5, or whatever, games of all time. I think only one person mentioned the above 5-1 win over Morton.

I doubt an equivalent thread on the Morton forum would feature very few mentions of their 5-1 win over us.

Both 5-1 games were low key, fairly meaningless and relatively poorly attended games.

Maybe someone can help me out here? I started watching Saints in Last game of 84/85 season since then as far as I know only missed 1 derby game(St Mirren park 2 months ago).

During this time I can only recall 2 or 3 victories for them the 5-1 at love street and remember a 2-0 or 3-0 to them at Greenock.

Someone on bus Saturday said they did beat us both 2&3 nil so that would make 3 victories for them I have saw.

Tried finding out through google but no joy.

Seem to Remember right back Derek Collins either scoring or taunting us down there after Morton scored also thought David Hopkin scored in one of the above games against us.

Maybe someone can help me out here? I started watching Saints in Last game of 84/85 season since then as far as I know only missed 1 derby game(St Mirren park 2 months ago).

During this time I can only recall 2 or 3 victories for them the 5-1 at love street and remember a 2-0 or 3-0 to them at Greenock.

Someone on bus Saturday said they did beat us both 2&3 nil so that would make 3 victories for them I have saw.

Tried finding out through google but no joy.

Seem to Remember right back Derek Collins either scoring or taunting us down there after Morton scored also thought David Hopkin scored in one of the above games against us.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=2475&team2_id=1765