Phone Advice

BuddieinEK

OK geeks... advice needed.

Phone upgrade due.

Been with Samsung for years.

S2...S3...S4... loved... but S6 is an android iPhone clone with no sd card slot and no replaceable battery. Not for me.

Aye... battery packs are cheap and cloud storage the future... but I like a spare battery with me at all times and my music collection accessible on a memory card.

So... ...

Thinking of the LG G4

HTC ONE M9 has also been recommended.

Thoughts? Reviews? Alternatives?

I've currently got a Sony Xperia. Can't fault it. Battery life is excellent, and the memory is expandable. Super smooth operation, and the camera is rated as one of the best on a phone.

Prior to the Sony, I used HTC. Excellent phones, also. I just fancied a change.

Guest TPAFKATS

On my 4th (?) experia now. I find them simple to use with great sound, battery and screen and additional sd card memory.

Don't think the current battery is replaceable on this model though.

OK geeks... advice needed.

Phone upgrade due.

Been with Samsung for years.

S2...S3...S4... loved... but S6 is an android iPhone clone with no sd card slot and no replaceable battery. Not for me.

Aye... battery packs are cheap and cloud storage the future... but I like a spare battery with me at all times and my music collection accessible on a memory card.

So... ...

Thinking of the LG G4

HTC ONE M9 has also been recommended.

Thoughts? Reviews? Alternatives?

The HTC M8 that I have doesn't have a replaceable battery, and I am thinking the M9 will be the same

Edited by Scabby Dug

My 'waterproof' Xperia Z3 compact was water damaged following a heavy rain shower (I kid you not). I anticipated having to buy a replacement (Sony gave me a new one in the end) and came across these:

https://www.wileyfox.com/

Look like real value for money although I'm not sure the battery in the dearer one can be replaced.

Do you need to upgrade BinEK? I'm with O2 and since the device was paid off all I pay for these days is the airtime plan that I use. It costs me around £18 per month now.

I've been saying for a while that new phone handsets don't appeal to me at the moment. The technology on these things motored way ahead of the app developers years ago and the major software houses still haven't caught up. I can't see any sort of technological advance in the new handsets that makes me exited. The only thing my phone doesn't do that the new iPhone does is the 3D finger press thing and I really don't see much use in that for me.

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It's about a year old. I had an HTC M8 in my initial price plan but I lost that one and my insurance company replaced it with the Galaxy Note. I liked the HTC build quality. It felt much better than the plastic build on the one I have now but I really like the bigger screen on the Note, and the battery life seems remarkable in comparison - I easily get 24 hours off a single phone charge - and it charges from empty to full in less than 90 minutes. I dare say something will eventually come along that will impress me but whatever it is, it's not available just yet. Reading reviews the next LG phone due out at the end of this month and the next Sony phone are expected to be crackers. I really hope so cause the Galaxy S6 didn't impress me at all.

Cheers folks.

Samsung lost me with the lack of memory card slot and replaceable battery on the S6.

Got the LG G4 today and am very impressed so far.

That said...one to look out for is the HONOR 7.

Its specs blow the top level phones from Apple and Samsung out of the water... And it is a fraction of the cost.

If you're not too fussed about a replaceable battery, check it out.