Cafe Borgia

I know the guy who intends to reopen it once it's been gutted (no more floor holes etc) He has some decent ideas to make it a wee bit different from the run of the mill stuff available on New St, so we'll see how it pans out for him !

That's a shame .

Have a lot of good memory's from years ago at Borgia .

My favourite is more recent though - the day after our league cup win when most of the saints team came to join the fans for an all day session of drinking ,singing and dancing .

That will live long in my memory .

Great day .

Indeed. Hardly the council's fault that what was a good pub became horribly run down.

This is the problem. I used to love Borgia, spent 3 or 4 Christmas eve nights in there along with a crowd of us a number of years ago. Used to go in for lunch quite a lot too when I worked in Paisley. The last 5 or 6 years though, I found it harder and harder to persuade my wife to go in as she thought it was dirty and run down. To me it was just a bit shabby, but then I've been in a lot of older proper pubs, so it didn't bother me, but a lot of others I know and used to frequent Borgia with thought the same as my wife. I wonder how many others, had a little more care been taken over the interior, might have been more regular visitors the past few years.

I remember when 'Borgia' opened back in 1992 (IIRC), as one of the first tenants of the brand new, and at the time largely unopened Paisley Centre, next door where Caffufals is was a Shoprite supermarket and I'm sure there was a wee florist in that tiny corner unit where Borgia meets the path leading to the entrance to the mall by the side door. It's changed hands the odd time,changed layouts etc, but managed to keep going. I had lot's of good times over the years, but stopped going in around 5 years ago once turned 40 and that certain 'old fart' feeling started to come calling, especially in a 'young un's' bar populated with attractive buxom barmaids ! Good luck to John in his future endeavours, hopefully he'll open a decent wee howff somewhere, with a good jukebox, and a spot on the corner of the bar for an auld fart...????

post-1776-14522056439434_thumb.jpg

Borgia used to be a great boozer, especially when Simon Richardson was the gaffer but I haven't been in a long long time.

Here's a pic taken when the Scotland v Brazil game at France 98 was on the telly. Anyone recognise the dude in the centre?

Guest TPAFKATS

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBlack & White Army1452205641.067712.jpg

Borgia used to be a great boozer, especially when Simon Richardson was the gaffer but I haven't been in a long long time.

Here's a pic taken when the Scotland v Brazil game at France 98 was on the telly. Anyone recognise the dude in the centre?

Never made that game as I was stuck in a 'brazilian village' in the suburbs of Paris, however I recall dozens of Friday and Saturday nights in borgia when it was as rammed as that.

Also a few Christmas eve and hogmanay nights.

Oh and a couple of occasions celebrating trophies for the buds.

Seems all those days are gone now and in the past they must remain...

I'll raise a wee glass of malt to the memories tonight ( it should really be a glass ofJD&C, but again those days are also gone)