St Mirren V Raith Rovers

Ridiculous situation from several points of view. Two pitch inspections saying game on. I then drove from Ayrshire into Paisley.

Clearing the snow was a shambles with one eejit more interested in writing his name on the pitch and throwing the snow over the lines already cleared. Why not get a organised squad together to clear as a straight line and doing it properly instead of a bunch of guys doing their own thing in a half-arsed fashion. And no offence to the volunteers and those that were doing a good job on their own, but the snow clearing wasn't properly organised.

Main argument for cancelling would be keeping the lines clear. However I am listening to Radio Scotland and in 2 games the referee has stopped play to allow people on to clear the lines then play continues.

I feel really sorry for the RR fans. Told twice game on then when they arrive told the game is off.

If they needed 2 inspections and a forecast of snow the game then it should have bee called off before fans travelled. If they decided it was to go ahead then the pitch clearing should be properly organised with the referee stopping the game every 20 mins if necessary to clear lines.

Fans are treated poorly as usual.

I spoke to three people in Paisley this morning, none of whom thought the game would go on. The Met Office forecast was for heavy snow at around this time. Games should be called off as early as poible to be fair to travelling fans.

I was in Paisley this morning and thought the game would go ahead. The reason it didn't was the conditions worsened after 2pm.

Refs can't go on weather forecasts, which are notoriously unreliable. They go on current conditions.

The pitch was playable up until 2pm. Then a hard snowfall made it unplayable.

The park looked terrible when I turned up at 2.50pm... I suppose we tried all we could to get the game on. The snow fell very heavy leading up to kick off.

I gives us s chance to get more players in and another week for the injured players to recover.

Now back home sitting with a bottle of bud watching Jeff and the boys instead of freezing my baws off in Paisley. :)

I was in Paisley this morning and thought the game would go ahead. The reason it didn't was the conditions worsened after 2pm.

Refs can't go on weather forecasts, which are notoriously unreliable. They go on current conditions.

The pitch was playable up until 2pm. Then a hard snowfall made it unplayable.

Seriously ? A forecast given two hours before the game & specific to the area should be key to the ref making a decision.

Seriously ? A forecast given two hours before the game & specific to the area should be key to the ref making a decision.

And then the wind changes, the forecast doesn't come true, the game is called off and the pitch is perfectly playable?

Current conditions are the only factor which influences refs decisions.

Oh well, could have been doing without that journey, but don't have any major complaints. They did all they could to keep the game on in what is a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Interchange was a pain in the arse, and getting up the bloody hill at home pretty dodgy, but made it in one piece. Hopefully everyone else does likewise.

how can our game be off when they are playing 4 miles down the road at ipox

Pictures all over Twitter of other grounds with pitches covered in snow. Perhaps it's because the stands provide shelter or perhaps they've got money to burn and keep their pitch well above zero but it looks like the rangers are the exception this weekend.

Arrived at 2.57 and heard someone say it was off pretty gutted but as has been mentioned up until 2.15 pm the snow had halted unfortunately after this it was coming down heavily.

I can sympathise with folk who have made journeys from far and wide to get to the game to be told its off after the 2 previous inspections.

Noticed as we were leaving the ground the players were inside the dome doing a training session my mate and I were going to nip in and join them but opted to head for a KFC instead biggrin.png

Also read this on the bbc sport website:

One Raith Rovers fan said a group of German fans had travelled all the way over from Ingolstad (Kirkcaldy's twin town) for St Mirren match

Edited by paisleysaint

And then the wind changes, the forecast doesn't come true, the game is called off and the pitch is perfectly playable?

Absolute Bollocks.

Referees have a whole set of rules & guidelines which have to be considered before a game is called off, among which is a requirement to check weather forecast & take that into account when decision is made.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Nonsense.

I've heard referees on tv mention weather forecasts when explaining their decision to postpone or abandon games.

2 minutes on Google backs this up.

Stephen Finnie, weather forecast influenced decision to postpone.

"There was one problem area when I was doing the first inspection. At that time there was heavy rain and nowhere for the water to go. I relayed that back to the SPL and given the weather forecast for the rain going off they decided to do another one at 5.45pm."

Bobby Madden, weather forecast influenced his decision to abandon the game.

"It was the right decision (to start). The fans were inside the ground. I made the final decision based on player safety. The information was it (the snow) was forecast to come back on."

Grant Henley, forecast influence.

"As a referee we get all the weather forecasts for the area, it was going to go up to a maximum of 1 degree by about 3.30pm and then by 5pm it was forecast to be down to -1 again. So, there was no warmth going to come through,"

Andy Haines

"We looked at the weather forecast which showed it was going to keep raining for some time and it would have been dangerous for the players."

The undersoil heating had been on for 2 days there was no frost on the pitch.. uptill 2 o'clock the game was not on doubt...

I left the house on my walk to the ground it got heavier when I got in it was 2:45 and obvious the park unplayable!

The answer to avoid this is summer football!

I feel sorry for all the Raith fans who were in the ground and all the saints fans that travelled many miles!

Herd one guy talking to his mate saying he was going to end up drunk by 5 because the game was off don't feel sorry for him just jealous!

Only good point is it gives us more time to recruit player's I hope!

The undersoil heating had been on for 2 days there was no frost on the pitch.. uptill 2 o'clock the game was not on doubt...

I left the house on my walk to the ground it got heavier when I got in it was 2:45 and obvious the park unplayable!

The answer to avoid this is summer football!

I feel sorry for all the Raith fans who were in the ground and all the saints fans that travelled many miles!

Herd one guy talking to his mate saying he was going to end up drunk by 5 because the game was off don't feel sorry for him just jealous!

Only good point is it gives us more time to recruit player's I hope!

Since there had already been 2 pitch inspections then the game had been in doubt and with a forecast of snow the game should have been called off before fans left Kirkaldy.