14 Units Per Week - Over Or Under?

Bud the Baker

Over or under? No idea. Under probably. I enjoy the odd beer and at home a glass of wine. I can take or leave alcohol, not bothered. Fcuk the lot of them by the way - the folk who do these stories. Last week it was sugar. Sugar is the new killer. Cut the sugar. Before that it was saturated fats. Fcuking bastards those saturated fats. Now they're saying a bit of saturated fat is OK. Prior to that, it was salt. We put far too much salt on everything. Coffee was getting it in the neck too. Every week the advice on coffee changes. Don't drink it in the afternoon, don't drink it in the evening, just stop fcuking drinking it... Then I read a study that said coffee is OK unless you drink ten gallons of it. Don't get me started on their advice on red wine... It's bad for you, no, the odd glass is actually good for your heart... Naw, it's bad for you. Fizzy drinks? Quite partial to a Pepsi Max myself... Don't drink it, drink water. On, and on, blah, blah.

Fcuk off.

Everything in moderation and do regular exercise. Now leave me alone you cunts.

Rant over.

Nah , nah , you don't need to worry about any of that stuff as much as , preservatives . Yup f**king preservatives , they'll kill you but your body won't rot as fast as it would have because of the preservatives. .

I was 30 when I grew out of it.

July 1992 was my last alcoholic drink.

Quite puzzling why both you and Oaksoft describe your stopping drinking as being something you grew out of. The kind of things I grew out of were thinking girls were horrible and playing with my train set.

As a 54 year old who enjoys the odd beer, a nice glass of red, and maybe ten bourbon & cokes per year....

I don't regard it as something that anyone should have grown out of by my age. Being a knob who regards the success of a night out by how many 'voddies' they managed to throw down their neck and effectively boasting about how drunk they managed to become is naturally a different matter.

By the way, if either of you were alcoholics and have now chucked the drink, again, that's a different deal. If that's the case, steer clear of the Paisley 2021 NoWin Shithole Stadium... They'll drive you back to it.

I was 30 when I grew out of it.

July 1992 was my last alcoholic drink.

Early 30s for me also.

I would not normally even consider the alcohol isle while shopping these days and haven't done for more than 15 years.

Twice a year I may get a bottle of Southern comfort as a gift.That said, I have a part bottle I opened 2 months ago in the kitchen.

The odd beer on the very occasional weekend is about as much as I drink.

I have never had a drink problem, guess I just 'grew out of it' so to speak.

Still have good nights out alcohol free :)

Again, still utterly puzzled why stopping drinking is being described as something you grow out of. You stop. You cut down. You choose to do this for whatever reason is personal to you. Fair do's.

Are adults like me who still drink some alcoholic beveragement at the age of 54 indulging in some sort of immature adolescent behaviour that I too should have 'grown out of' by now?

If so, I'll need to grow up later this month... Going to our hospitality on Saturday and hope the alcohol dulls the pain of the fitba' on display.

Edited by pozbaird

I'm just over I reckon, a big improvement on my younger years when the capacity to get 'well over' was more likely. Nowadays a couple of pints after work is about my level. Can't really do the pint after pint routine anymore. If I have four beers, I'm usually struggling and wanting to go home, ah the joys of middle age... Righto, where's my cocoa ? ????

Again, still utterly puzzled why stopping drinking is being described as something you grow out of. You stop. You cut down. You choose to do this for whatever reason is personal to you. Fair do's.

Are adults like me who still drink some alcoholic beveragement at the age of 54 indulging in some sort of immature adolescent behaviour that I too should have 'grown out of' by now?

If so, I'll need to grow up later this month... Going to our hospitality on Saturday and hope the alcohol dulls the pain of the fitba' on display.

Personally, I wouldn't say I grew out of it but I have certainly went off it, to a large degree. .

I remember going to a Saints away game on a train as a youngster, drinking tins of McEwan's Export and a Buddie asked if he could taste said beverage, so I let him taste it. He then said that it tasted shit and why did I drink the stuff , at which , I assured him that I wasn't drinking it for the taste. .

Later , I remember taking my turn driving to away matches , and then watching my Buddies getting a bevy whilst I didn't and getting a bit annoyed about it . Now I wouldn't care if I got a drink or not . .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

I hope Saints will show social responsibility by banning this toxic substance from hospitality!

Time to set an example!

We were trailblazers in the late 70s with our Saints Don't Smoke campaign...

Time to trailblaze again?

;)

Jeezuz.

Watching this Saints' side sober? The asylums will be full be five!

When I drink a nice malt whisky I'll smell it first, I'll sip it making sure it hits my taste buds to taste every note in it and I'll feel it going down my throat, into my stomach and I'll feel the warmth radiating from it. I'd never put ice in it, or water never mind some sort of soft drink. Why would anyone do that? You're paying for a liquid that's been aged in a cask for 10, 12, 15, 20, 25 years sometimes even longer. I'll happily pay plenty for it too. Why not. I'm enjoying it.

If I'm enjoying it too much I might get a bit drunk. That's the consequence of that kind of gluttony. A bit like how feeling bloated is a consequence of eating too much. Now I don't know too many people that go out for a meal prepared to eat any old shit just so long as it makes them bloated but I do know plenty of people who will drink any old shite just to get pissed. When people are throwing "shots" down their neck so fast it's clear they are trying to avoid it hitting their taste buds, when people are pouring in 60p cans of soft drink into their far more expensive vodka then it looks to me like they don't really like what they are drinking they are just desperately trying to get pissed. I feel sorry for them. That can't be a satisfying existence.

When I drink a nice malt whisky I'll smell it first, I'll sip it making sure it hits my taste buds to taste every note in it and I'll feel it going down my throat, into my stomach and I'll feel the warmth radiating from it. I'd never put ice in it, or water never mind some sort of soft drink. Why would anyone do that? You're paying for a liquid that's been aged in a cask for 10, 12, 15, 20, 25 years sometimes even longer. I'll happily pay plenty for it too. Why not. I'm enjoying it.

If I'm enjoying it too much I might get a bit drunk. That's the consequence of that kind of gluttony. A bit like how feeling bloated is a consequence of eating too much. Now I don't know too many people that go out for a meal prepared to eat any old shit just so long as it makes them bloated but I do know plenty of people who will drink any old shite just to get pissed. When people are throwing "shots" down their neck so fast it's clear they are trying to avoid it hitting their taste buds, when people are pouring in 60p cans of soft drink into their far more expensive vodka then it looks to me like they don't really like what they are drinking they are just desperately trying to get pissed. I feel sorry for them. That can't be a satisfying existence.

Not even a spot of water to release the oils and enhance the flavour, aroma and experience?

Philistine!

Oh... I was having a shite Christmas day and decided to treat myself to a malt which had been gifted to me...

See if you can spot the challenge...

post-6025-14525567903311_thumb.jpg

Each to their own. I enjoyed a Knob Creek bourbon tonight with ice cold coke and ice. Woodford Reserve bourbon is smoother with a honey flavour, while the Knob Creek is two-layered, with an initial toffee hit.

Yum. Fancy trying a £40 bottle of Hudson Bay next time.

As regular forumsters know who are subjected to my ramblings, the best and most desireable Scotch whisky in the world would be wasted on me. Can't drink the stuff, can't even smell whisky without turning green and feeling sick.

Weirdo. World's worst Scotsman! Guilty!

Edited by pozbaird

Each to their own. I enjoyed a Knob Creek bourbon tonight with ice cold coke and ice. Woodford Reserve bourbon is smoother with a honey flavour, while the Knob Creek is two-layered, with an initial toffee hit.

As regular forumsters know who are subjected to my ramblings, the best and most desireable Scotch whisky in the world would be wasted on me. Can't drink the stuff, can't even smell whisky without turning green and feeling sick.

You with your Knob...

Me with my dram.

As you say...each to their own indeed.

Interestingly, I was exactly the same with whisky till I was in my mid 30's... Even the smell of it would make me wretch...

Then something just clicked.

Can't take heavily peated malts like Laphroig...

But a nice Dalwhinnie or an Auchantoshan is just liquid manna.

Not even a spot of water to release the oils and enhance the flavour, aroma and experience?

Philistine!

Oh... I was having a shite Christmas day and decided to treat myself to a malt which had been gifted to me...

See if you can spot the challenge...

LOL I saw your post about that on Christmas night while I was sitting at work. I had a fair old chuckle at that. It's happened to me once too. A bottle for Christmas a few years back from my Mother and Father In Law. It was the year my ex had left me. I wasn't sure if it had been deliberate or not, but like you it didn't stop me.

BinEK, I'm still a learner when it comes to drinking malts. I'd never kid on I was an expert. I still go to the Whisky Tasting Evenings at the Artisan Restaurant in Wishaw and I've got a friend who is a member of the Whisky Society in Edinburgh. I let her keep me right. There's been a few from her collection that I was told to put a tiny drop of water into but they tended to be the cask strength ones. I've got my favourites and I tend to stick to them at home and although I've got some expensive stuff in there, there's nothing that needs water added to it.

I had to read that twice. I thought you'd said you'd enjoyed a Knob Cheese Bourbon. I thought each to their own indeed.

I know there are nice bourbons out there. There was some event I went to a couple of years ago - Whisky On The Fringe - I think it was called. They had bourbons in there. Unfortunately I'd sampled pretty much every malt whisky in the room first before I got there and although I can remember thinking "that's a nice one" a couple of times I was so guttered I had no chance of remembering what they were. Gluttony at it's worst. wacko.png

But a nice Dalwhinnie or an Auchantoshan is just liquid manna.

Auchantoshan American Oak is one of my favourites. I've not had much of the Dalwhinnie but it's on my list to buy again after a night out at Electric Bar in Motherwell where that was the only malt behind the counter. Balvenie and Glenmorangie are the other two I tend to alternate between.

Auchantoshan American Oak is one of my favourites. I've not had much of the Dalwhinnie but it's on my list to buy again after a night out at Electric Bar in Motherwell where that was the only malt behind the counter. Balvenie and Glenmorangie are the other two I tend to alternate between.

Auchantoshan Three Wood is sublime.

I won a bottle in a raffle. I almost wish I hadn't as I couldn't afford to develop a taste for it!

Bruichalddich is another favourite of mine.

Dalwhinnie is my default malt though... Affordable and very pleasant indeed.

Edited by BuddieinEK