14 Units Per Week - Over Or Under?

Bud the Baker

Auchantoshan Three Wood is sublime.

I won a bottle in a raffle. I almost wish I hadn't as I couldn't afford to develop a taste for it!

Bruichalddich is another favourite of mine.

Dalwhinnie is my default malt though... Affordable and very pleasant indeed.

The Bruichladdich is my friends favourite - that and Talisker Storm and the Talisker 2003.

There's a Bruichladdich tasting night on St Andrews night 2016 at the Artisan in Wishaw that they were taking bookings for at Halloween 2015. It might be sold out already but those nights are always brilliant.

The Bruichladdich is my friends favourite - that and Talisker Storm and the Talisker 2003.

There's a Bruichladdich tasting night on St Andrews night 2016 at the Artisan in Wishaw that they were taking bookings for at Halloween 2015. It might be sold out already but those nights are always brilliant.

Cheers...will check it out.

Meal was fantastic too last time there.

Again, still utterly puzzled why stopping drinking is being described as something you grow out of. You stop. You cut down. You choose to do this for whatever reason is personal to you. Fair do's.

Are adults like me who still drink some alcoholic beveragement at the age of 54 indulging in some sort of immature adolescent behaviour that I too should have 'grown out of' by now?

If so, I'll need to grow up later this month... Going to our hospitality on Saturday and hope the alcohol dulls the pain of the fitba' on display.

You can dress this up all you want but our society has an appalling attitude to alcohol.

People almost always take up drink because of the effect it has on them whether that is because it "relaxes them" or because they get pissed from it to allow them to momentarily cope with their crap job or whatever.

There is an immaturity and a despair at the root of this.

Only when you break through that barrier do you start to think of any of it tasting nice.

People can do what they want but dont put lipstick on a pig.

This is very much something you grow out of.

You can dress this up all you want but our society has an appalling attitude to alcohol.

People almost always take up drink because of the effect it has on them whether that is because it "relaxes them" or because they get pissed from it to allow them to momentarily cope with their crap job or whatever.

Only when you break through that barrier do you start to think of any of it tasting nice.

Ah nonsense. I certainly don't have a drink to cope with anything. If that is the aim then I'm shite at it.

Last night I had a single bottle of San Miguel with my dinner cause I had a load of bottles in the fridge for over a month now and I fancied one with my stir fry. I could just as easily have had a glass of water, milk, or one of a number of soft drinks that are in my fridge or I could have chosen to have a cup of tea or coffee I didn't cause I fancied a San Miguel. Once that was done I didn't have any more alcohol before going to bed.

If you don't want a drink that's fine. I certainly understand the "growing up" sentiment against the silly notion that many kids seem to have that getting hammered is the goal of a night out. But I don't think it's very grown up to have a catch all statement in there for anyone who does enjoy an occasional drink cause they like the taste

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I am not dressing up anything. I have never 'grown out of' drinking alcohol, and I enjoy the relatively little alcoholic drinks that I partake in today. I can compare and rate different beers, wines and bourbons, and none of them have, or ever have been, taken purely to throw down my throat in such quantities so that I become 'pissed'.

You used the term 'grown out of' and I merely queried the use of a term that would indicate those of us who still drink alcohol haven't grown up yet.

I agree that alcohol can be problematic in society. So can drugs, obesity, sectarianism, racism...

The only conclusion I can come to is that the pomposity AND twattery are indeed for real.

Edited by pozbaird

Over or under? No idea. Under probably. I enjoy the odd beer and at home a glass of wine. I can take or leave alcohol, not bothered. Fcuk the lot of them by the way - the folk who do these stories. Last week it was sugar. Sugar is the new killer. Cut the sugar. Before that it was saturated fats. Fcuking bastards those saturated fats. Now they're saying a bit of saturated fat is OK. Prior to that, it was salt. We put far too much salt on everything. Coffee was getting it in the neck too. Every week the advice on coffee changes. Don't drink it in the afternoon, don't drink it in the evening, just stop fcuking drinking it... Then I read a study that said coffee is OK unless you drink ten gallons of it. Don't get me started on their advice on red wine... It's bad for you, no, the odd glass is actually good for your heart... Naw, it's bad for you. Fizzy drinks? Quite partial to a Pepsi Max myself... Don't drink it, drink water. On, and on, blah, blah.

Fcuk off.

Everything in moderation and do regular exercise. Now leave me alone you cunts.

Rant over.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z9bcwxs

Telt' ye'.... On today's BBC website. Coffee again. It'll be red wine next week... 'A new study...' Then coffee next month (again), then back to, oh, let me guess... Red wine!

You with your Knob...

Me with my dram.

As you say...each to their own indeed.

Interestingly, I was exactly the same with whisky till I was in my mid 30's... Even the smell of it would make me wretch...

Then something just clicked.

Can't take heavily peated malts like Laphroig...

But a nice Dalwhinnie or an Auchantoshan is just liquid manna.

Late 30s for me before I started being able to drink and enjoy malt whisky. Likewise with Auchentoshan and Dalwhinnie, that's the 2 bottles I opened over the festive period. I've done the distillery tours at both and can really recommend the Dalwhinnie one as they serve a taster with a really nice chocolate and it works so well. Auchentoshan tour was done in the middle of summer and they were cleaning the stills, or something, so we couldn't see the full end to end process so they gave an extra couple of tasters of some really expensive stuff.

Ah nonsense. I certainly don't have a drink to cope with anything. If that is the aim then I'm shite at it.

Last night I had a single bottle of San Miguel with my dinner cause I had a load of bottles in the fridge for over a month now and I fancied one with my stir fry. I could just as easily have had a glass of water, milk, or one of a number of soft drinks that are in my fridge or I could have chosen to have a cup of tea or coffee I didn't cause I fancied a San Miguel. Once that was done I didn't have any more alcohol before going to bed.

If you don't want a drink that's fine. I certainly understand the "growing up" sentiment against the silly notion that many kids seem to have that getting hammered is the goal of a night out. But I don't think it's very grown up to have a catch all statement in there for anyone who does enjoy an occasional drink cause they like the taste

Well quite honestly I am STAGGERED that you didn't read, understand and properly consider my post before responding with this irrelevant guff.

STAGGERED.

Edited by oaksoft

Telt' ye'.... On today's BBC website. Coffee again. It'll be red wine next week... 'A new study...' Then coffee next month (again), then back to, oh, let me guess... Red wine!

I am in agreement with you on this (although I am coming from the seemingly unique position on this forum of actually having a clue what I am talking about). None of this research is decided. There is no smoking gun anywhere. As such it needs publishing but it certainly shouldn't be getting reported to the general public as though some definitive answer has been found because that devalues science and makes your average garden idiot wrongly think that science professionals are useless when in actual fact it's only scientists and mathematicians who prevent us living in caves.

This is important because when you let untrained idiots decide what does and doesn't constitute science we end up with utter chaos.

Working during a 5 week stint very rarely do I drink. However when home drink at the weekends and sometimes on a Thursday night. Mostly drink wine though sometimes a wee malt. Drink does not rule my life but I enjoy the social side of it and would never think of giving it up. It is a drug as long as you can control it is don't see the problem. You can get cancer from everything from pizza boxes to tin cans. Thousands of pestasides are used to help grow fruit and veg and many more yet none have been tested for human consumption .. you would not eat or drink most stuff if you knew the dangers.

My neighbour used to work in a factory that produce kebab meat. After seeing what went into it (chicken beaks, cow anuses, pig trotters ...) he, well, eh ... he actually still eats kebabs.

I used to work with a guy who had worked at a well known jam factory , he said that if I knew what had went on in the jam factory I'd never eat the stuff and to be fair to him he didn't and I probably stopped not long after. He was also the guy who told me about the mechanical recovery of chicken meat (long before it was common knowledge) and how the carcasses could lie outside in skips for a day or so in the height of summer before they were dealt with. .yuck. .

I used to work with a guy who had worked at a well known jam factory , he said that if I knew what had went on in the jam factory I'd never eat the stuff and to be fair to him he didn't and I probably stopped not long after. He was also the guy who told me about the mechanical recovery of chicken meat (long before it was common knowledge) and how the carcasses could lie outside in skips for a day or so in the height of summer before they were dealt with. .yuck. .

Eat fish 4 to 5 times a week however you have to be careful here also many fish are farmed such as salmon, seabass, halibut and many more. At fish farms under the water most plant and she'll fish are dead nothing exists because of the pellets they are fed to keep disease at bay. Again not tested for human consumption. Cod , lemon Sole and Cod are the few wild fish Cought.

I am in agreement with you on this (although I am coming from the seemingly unique position on this forum of actually having a clue what I am talking about)

Excellent. Now I'm away for a Costa Mocha... f**k it, a blueberry muffin an' aw'.

What's the advice on blueberry muffins this week?

Eat fish 4 to 5 times a week however you have to be careful here also many fish are farmed such as salmon, seabass, halibut and many more. At fish farms under the water most plant and she'll fish are dead nothing exists because of the pellets they are fed to keep disease at bay. Again not tested for human consumption. Cod , lemon Sole and Cod are the few wild fish Cought.

I saw a programme years ago about how the pellets are also used to give the salmon its pink colour , since they weren't getting access to the food that would give it the pink colour in the wild. There is also antibiotics in those pellets that end up in the found chain , which means that, some people are getting so much antibiotics through the food chain that when they are prescribed the stuff it doesnae work. .

The blueberry is still a "superfood" and muffin is still a mule - I'll let you decide whether to have one, or not.

Muffin the mule is no longer a criminal offence. I'm having one. Sod it, I might detour to Cafe Nero instead, they do a white chocolate and raspberry muffin that is worth the walk fae' Costa for. Aye, why not... I don't smoke, I don't drink much, I don't eat greasy fried food and I excercise. Fcuk the science - I'm away for a coffee and a muffin in case Lemmy or Bowie come a' calling.

Jam factories are evil. Farmed fish is evil. Kebabs are worse than evil. Chicken is unmentionable. Certainly back in the day, there would have been all sorts going on in some of our old-school dodgy Chinese establishments that me and my mates used to frequent. Pizza boxes and tin cans can cause cancer. We don't want to know what goes into a pie you eat at the fitba'. Sugar is the new nicotine. Nicotine is the new salt. Salt is the new saturated fat. MSGs are basturts. Artificial sweeteners are basturts. Fizzy drinks are basturts. Red wine and coffee are wanks / good guys / wanks / good guys / wanks... depending on this week's latest research. The shite that goes into hotdogs and Campbells meatballs would scare the bejezzuz out of you. Alcohol is mere poison. GM foods... Scary monsters.

That me covered it?

Drew... This vegetarian bollocks. Tell me more. Naw, cancel that, fcuking pesticide sprays.

Edited by pozbaird

Jam factories are evil. Farmed fish is evil. Kebabs are worse than evil. Chicken is unmentionable. Certainly back in the day, there would have been all sorts going on in some of our old-school dodgy Chinese establishments that me and my mates used to frequent. Pizza boxes and tin cans can cause cancer. We don't want to know what goes into a pie you eat at the fitba'. Sugar is the new nicotine. Nicotine is the new salt. Salt is the new saturated fat. MSGs are basturts. Artificial sweeteners are basturts. Fizzy drinks are basturts. Red wine and coffee are wanks / good guys / wanks / good guys / wanks... depending on this week's latest research. The shite that goes into hotdogs and Campbells meatballs would scare the bejezzuz out of you. Alcohol is mere poison. GM foods... Scary monsters.

That me covered it?

Drew... This vegetarian bollocks. Tell me more. Naw, cancel that, fcuking pesticide sprays.

What ?

. .you forgot to mention the dangers of bread packed in poly bag . .

Ah but you're doing coffee wrong. If you watched Dragons Den on the same TV network apparently we should be rubbing coffee on our face to enjoy the health benefits.

Ah but you're doing coffee wrong. If you watched Dragons Den on the same TV network apparently we should be rubbing coffee on our face to enjoy the health benefits.

I often sip a Knob Cheese bourbon and rub coffee on my face.

Just a normal weekend for me.