Retro Saints; St.mirren 2 Celtic 3 Aet 1980

div

Yes what a night! Was in the north bank it was packed. the green puke got the usual linesman and Referee favors. Toshie was class than night with a stookie on leg wanting to thump the lines man with his crutches ........ we were robbed totally robbed but I those days you had to beat the Old firm, referee and both lines men!

What is wrong with Celt*c's winner? I remember the controversy at the time and my memory is that it was supposed to be offside. The Saints players certainly look furious.

But I can't make it out?

My dad says that was the only game he's been at where he was genuinely frightened. He says the crushing outside Love Street was horrible.

Over 27,000 packed into Love Street for a midweek game. Nuts!

What is wrong with Celt*c's winner? I remember the controversy at the time and my memory is that it was supposed to be offside. The Saints players certainly look furious.

But I can't make it out?

My dad says that was the only game he's been at where he was genuinely frightened. He says the crushing outside Love Street was horrible.

Yes a fantastic night spoiled by weak refereeing decisions.

I was one of many that night that queued at the Love Street end and my feet never touched the ground for the length of the queue from one side of Love Street to the other.

It is the memory of games like this which remind me of what we are capable of when the club was run properly.

It makes Danny Lennon's claim of success in achieving 9th place during his time in charge as being quite feeble by comparison.

Edited by northstbuddie

Was thinking that too goal looks fine to me...?

There was an offside in the build up , the linesman stood with his flag up but the ref never stopped the game , only when the ball was in the net did the linesman drop his flag , that's why our players were so irate , they wanted the ref to consult the linesman ,but he refused !

There was an offside in the build up , the linesman stood with his flag up but the ref never stopped the game , only when the ball was in the net did the linesman drop his flag , that's why our players were so irate , they wanted the ref to consult the linesman ,but he refused !

Some things just never change. mellow.png

My old man was in the Main stand that night, he says it was very unpleasant, very intimidating with irate paddy's hurling abuse all around for long periods in the game. Objects were being thrown, turned quite nasty by all accounts. Seemingly St mirren played great, hence the Sellic hostility. Indeed it seems St Mirren were robbed. The third goal was indeed very controversial ( highlights do nothing to explain, yes miles offside in the build up seemingly ) it was very obvious in the ground to both sets of supporters that the goal was dodgy. Linesman and ref conspired to erm, bottle it.

Any relative of Collum working that night

Edited by Seaside Nipper

I can remember the sheer amount of people just pushing everyone towards the turnstiles, it was frightening and although the official attendance was given as 27,000 we all thought at the time it was over 30,000.

all the kids were lifted over the fence in those days, so you could prob add another 10,000 onto the gate figures.

But I can't make it out?

When Doyle plays the ball forward and goes it alone the Celtic player on the right had side is offside hence the linesman flagging. The saints players hesitated for a second which allowed Doyle to carry on. The Celtic player is technically offside and the ref should have stopped play.

Its coming back to me now with the help from some comments above.

A Celtic player is offside, When Doyle plays the ball forward, the linesman holds up his flag. The offside Celtic player doesn't react but Doyle goes on to chase after his own through ball. Saints defender hesitates cos he sees the flag up.

I can see the controversy.

However, and I know this is based on today's interpretation, its not offside unless the player in the offside position actually received the ball.

And finally, its not offside unless the ref blows his whistle to actually stop the game. Saints defender should have played to the whistle.

Does seem though that the linesman lost his bottle. Based on the rules of the day, linesman should have kept his flag up.

My earlier comments still stand however. Celtic were the team that had a player sent off and, in what they believe were controversial circumstances. From memory, the linesman on the far side who raised his flag had to withstand a barrage of beer cans and bottles from that point onwards. We were also awarded a penalty. So officials didn't completely conspire against us!

Considering that Celtic went down to 10 men in the first half when we were 1-0 and the game went into extra time, that was around 90 minutes we had that advantage. Plus we were at home.

Despite whatever else happened in the game, that was a winning position that we should have seen through with the team we had.

Celtic of course went on to beat Rangers 1-0 in that infamous riot final. Would we have won the cup had we beaten Celtic that night? I've no doubt we would have lost to Rangers in the final!

Edited by nosferatu

A Celtic player is offside, When Doyle plays the ball forward, the linesman holds up his flag. The offside Celtic player doesn't react but Doyle goes on to chase after his own through ball. Saints defender hesitates cos he sees the flag up.

However, and I know this is based on today's interpretation, its not offside unless the player in the offside position actually received the ball.

And finally, its not offside unless the ref blows his whistle to actually stop the game. Saints defender should have played to the whistle.

Does seem though that the linesman lost his bottle. Based on the rules of the day, linesman should have kept his flag up.

My earlier comments still stand however. Celtic were the team that had a player sent off and, in what they believe were controversial circumstances. From memory, the linesman on the far side who raised his flag had to withstand a barrage of beer cans and bottles from that point onwards. We were also awarded a penalty. So officials didn't completely conspire against us!

Considering that Celtic went down to 10 men in the first half when we were 1-0 and the game went into extra time, that was around 90 minutes we had that advantage. Plus we were at home.

Despite whatever else happened in the game, that was a winning position that we should have seen through with the team we had.

Celtic of course went on to beat Rangers 1-0 in that infamous riot final. Would we have won the cup had we beaten Celtic that night? I've no doubt we would have lost to Rangers in the final!

And no 1980 riot might have meant carry outs still allowed inside Grounds.

Meaning the West Bank Jakies could pish in their empty cans and bottles instead of The Big Onedin Line at half time.

Another huge tuning point was early on we lost our top striker Frank McDougal with a broken leg to a horrendous tackle from McGrain. McDougal got in trouble from the SFA for comments he made to the press about the tackle from McGrain.

In the next game when we played Celtic McGrain was stretchered off early after a tackle from good old Abercrombie.

Edited by Kendo