Farewell David Bowie

saintstu

Guest TPAFKATS

Another legend gone.

Made some amazing stuff over 4 or 5 decades. Especially when working with Fripp and Ronson.

Cancer takes another, hopefully he didn't suffer too badly and all is now hunkydory for him.

One of those artists that I only own their 'Greatest Hits' album, but boy, what a double album it is. There are several artists for whom, a greatest hits is all I personally need, Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Steely Dan spring to mind.... but the Bowie one contains classics one and all. I cannot name my favourite Bowie song, it changes (no pun intended) every time I listen to him. Starman, Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, Life On Mars, This Is Not America (with Pat Metheny), Jean Genie, Heroes.... could go on, and on, and on....

Legend. RIP.

Put some Bowie on in the car on the way to work this morning. Hope I only imagined that tear in my eye listening to Heroes.

As someone on my Facebook feed put it, he's gone to meet the starman waiting in the sky.

Edited by Stu

One of those artists that I only own their 'Greatest Hits' album, but boy, what a double album it is. There are several artists for whom, a greatest hits is all I personally need, Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Steely Dan spring to mind.... but the Bowie one contains classics one and all. I cannot name my favourite Bowie song, it changes (no pun intended) every time I listen to him. Starman, Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, Life On Mars, This Is Not America (with Pat Metheny), Jean Genie, Heroes.... could go on, and on, and on....

Legend. RIP.

My daughter asked me what my favourite Bowie song was this morning, and, like you, I couldn't pick one out. That speaks volumes about the prodigious and versatile talent that he was.

My daughter asked me what my favourite Bowie song was this morning, and, like you, I couldn't pick one out. That speaks volumes about the prodigious and versatile talent that he was.

I grew up with Slade as my first musical heroes. First concert was Slade at the Apollo in 1974. Great band, but you look back at videos of Slade from then, and Dave Hill in particular with his hair and fashion, and you think 'FFS'! You look at old Bowie footage from the 1970s and he still looks cool, one step ahead of the game.

That never changed. Bowie was always ahead of whatever the game happened to be. A true great.

Prince is in that bracket too. Completely insanely talented buggers who transcend trends and operate in a different strata from the pack.

I was blown away when I first heard Space Oddity as an impressionable youth - I had heard nothing like it before. Listening to it now still takes me back to these halcyon days. I associate Heroes with 87 and 13 :) . But as a young guy Rebel Rebel hit all the right buttons.