St Mirren -Shower Of Hopeless Amateurs

shull

Less than an hour before kick off the pitch was totally clear. 15 minutes before kick off a heavy fall covered the pitch.

Truth be told, I do side with the "if in doubt call it off early" brigade, even though for selfish reasons I wanted it to go ahead.

Picture was taken less than an hour before kick off.

post-6025-14530507746978_thumb.jpg

I can't actually believe that the club is being criticised by some people for trying to get the game on !

The tree huggers out in force saying "lives were put at risk" - what a lot of utter nonsense.

There were just over 40,000 at the game at Ibrox, they seem to have been able to get to and from the game ok !

The snow was heavy over a short period but let's not exaggerate the situation, it was hardly a foot of snow that fell. All main roads were absolutely fine.

I'm all for looking at the weather forecast in advance and postponing games as a precaution but some of the hand wringing from the likes of Dickson is just petty trolling of the club (again)

I can't actually believe that the club is being criticised by some people for trying to get the game on !

The tree huggers out in force saying "lives were put at risk" - what a lot of utter nonsense.

There were just over 40,000 at the game at Ibrox, they seem to have been able to get to and from the game ok !

The snow was heavy over a short period but let's not exaggerate the situation, it was hardly a foot of snow that fell. All main roads were absolutely fine.

I'm all for looking at the weather forecast in advance and postponing games as a precaution but some of the hand wringing from the likes of Dickson is just petty trolling of the club (again)

The same ones would have been greetin if the game had been called off early and the forecast snow didn't arrive.

Some folk just like a moan.......Don't start me about Fri night football !!!

The same ones would have been greetin if the game had been called off early and the forecast snow didn't arrive.

Some folk just like a moan.......Don't start me about Fri night football !!!

Spot on mate. Imagine the outcry if the snow had been light in the afternoon (as was originally forecast) and everyone was sat in the house.

Club would have got slammed.

How many shops, pubs, or cafes have sold high cost season tickets for a set number of events where if you don't turn up you lose out? If any of the businesses you listed had sold tickets in advance for an event and then refused to cancel it ignoring severe weather warnings till the very last minute in full knowledge that some were travelling 40 - 50 miles to get there they would rightly be vilified. Yet here when a football club does exactly that we've got a forum full of people willing to defend it.

One minute you are complaining about the cost and the next you fear for your sons lives.

Which is most important to you?

Why did you not take your own decision not to go rather than try blame others.

Game was playable with an hour till kick off till heavy snow changed that just before kick off.

Match was in doubt from early Saturday morning. Should have put it off then with the forecast of Snow on the way.

And whether the Match was on or off, I still had to pick up the wee yin in the west end of Paisley.

Ludicrous decision by the Club and others.

Edited by shull

I have been checking the news all day expecting to see reports of the army being called in to help haul thousands of Scots trapped in snow drifts of 3 centimetres, unable to walk through blizzards which saw snow so deep that it nearly came over the top of their shoe soles.

So far all i can find are reports of Newcastle Utd fans admitting its so cold they have been forced to start wearing tshirts to matches. The old ones are the best,........

Are people still bitching and whining about this?

To answer myself, yes, it would seem so.

No-one is happy about the game being called off, including the club. It seems to me that they did everything they could reasonably be expected to do in difficult circumstances. The level of greetin' about it is laughable.

Agreed.

After the game was called off, I took my cousin on a tour of Paisley. By some miracle we survived.

Even managed to get up to Glennifer Braes without a sherpa or oxygen masks... Only to find visibility so poor that the bonnet of the car was considered the view.

How we survived I will never know.

Agreed.

After the game was called off, I took my cousin on a tour of Paisley. By some miracle we survived.

Even managed to get up to Glennifer Braes without a sherpa or oxygen masks... Only to find visibility so poor that the bonnet of the car was considered the view.

How we survived I will never know.

Did you take a ball for a kickaboot?

Did you take a ball for a kickaboot?

I'd make Mark McWalter look talented and Alan Gow look fit!

However... You don't stop yer greetin today I'm up for trying to boot yours Waldorf!

Taxi driver that is feart to drive!

Whatever next?

We all know they cannae... But it has never stopped them!

:-P

They did everything wrang.

They should have got it postponed at 10am and the whole Forum wid be contented.

Lol

I think you're at the fanny, here, but I'll bite.

Assuming most of us posting on here are adults (in terms of chronological age, if little else), those of us who rolled up at the ground yesterday made a personal, autonomous decision to go. I was hardly out of my street when I suspected that the baw was burst, and the game would likely be called off, but I opted to take a punt. Neither Stewart Gilmour, nor the SFA coerced me. It was my choice, and, therefore, my responsibility, and mine alone.

On reflection, I was a bit of a dafty venturing out, but I did, and won't be gnashing my teeth about it or pointing and shouting about it not being fair, and being someone else's fault.

Jesus wept!

It was snowing twice as bad at the Ground than when we left Neilston ten minutes earlier......who would have thought that would happen.

Anyway, back home in Inverness today, and hardly any sign of snow north of Perth.

As has been said,very difficult to predict snowfall amounts.

Still not seen Saints this season.

Ah well..........

Nobody else has seen Saints playing football this season.

Wee lad and I made 160 mile round trip yesterday and we did need to take extra care driving back. I wouldn't blame the club yesterday, although we were gutted it was off.

Another angle was it was quite a memorable day out for my lad. He ended up managing to get a wee snowball fight with Carsewell and Naismith when we were going back to the car. The pair of them were playing some 'snowy' pranks on some teammates' motors(think the rest of team were in the dome). My son claimed that he hit Carsewell on the head, the first thing he's headered this season. Won a tenner on one of the scratch cards too, which was a bit of the petrol money paid for, so day wasn't a total disaster.

Wee lad and I made 160 mile round trip yesterday and we did need to take extra care driving back. I wouldn't blame the club yesterday, although we were gutted it was off.

Another angle was it was quite a memorable day out for my lad. He ended up managing to get a wee snowball fight with Carsewell and Naismith when we were going back to the car. The pair of them were playing some 'snowy' pranks on some teammates' motors(think the rest of team were in the dome). My son claimed that he hit Carsewell on the head, the first thing he's headered this season. Won a tenner on one of the scratch cards too, which was a bit of the petrol money paid for, so day wasn't a total disaster.

Funny how people see things differently. Glad you all made the most of your day Bud.

You cannot win. Week last Friday l came out of school to meet a non forecast blizzard after playing fives. Two colleagues took over three hours to get home. Wednesday night we cancelled an options evening because of the widely reported forecast.... It then didn't snow. Saturday's forecast did not suggest the amount of snow we would get. Indeed even today they were still suggesting a lot less fell than did!! It was just one of those things. However, l would happily have gone on the pitch and helped completely clear it after two to give the game a real chance but look how much fell after three... It would have been abandoned.

How many shops, pubs, or cafes have sold high cost season tickets for a set number of events where if you don't turn up you lose out? If any of the businesses you listed had sold tickets in advance for an event and then refused to cancel it ignoring severe weather warnings till the very last minute in full knowledge that some were travelling 40 - 50 miles to get there they would rightly be vilified. Yet here when a football club does exactly that we've got a forum full of people willing to defend it.

Ever heard of Mother Nature ? By any chance are you able to predict what it has in store for us? So, for example, when Ross County game was abandoned 2 seasons ago, referee should have called it off in the morning when the forecast said it might get a bit wet in the afternoon ? Come on, stuff happens , nature is unpredictable, and sometimes, just sometimes , it's nobody's fault

St Mirren didn't cancel any event, nor did they have the power to cancel it. You know this and are coming the c**t. They felt on two separate occasions that the pitch may not be playable and left it to the authorities to decide. On both occasions it was deemed okay.

Had St. Mirren taken it upon themselves to cancel this match off their own back in the morning, they'd rightly be on the receiving end of heavy SFA sanctions this coming week. That's why, despite over a decade of bleating about being unceremoniously punted from the board room, you're still just a pipefitter sitting front of his PC pretending to know the inner workings of a professional football club. Gutted for you.

St Mirren didn't cancel any event, nor did they have the power to cancel it. You know this and are coming the c**t. They felt on two separate occasions that the pitch may not be playable and left it to the authorities to decide. On both occasions it was deemed okay.

Had St. Mirren taken it upon themselves to cancel this match off their own back in the morning, they'd rightly be on the receiving end of heavy SFA sanctions this coming week. That's why, despite over a decade of bleating about being unceremoniously punted from the board room, you're still just a pipefitter sitting front of his PC pretending to know the inner workings of a professional football club. Gutted for you.

You are the one coming the c**t. I've never said that St Mirren should have cancelled the match. Remember I was a secretary for a kids team. I know what sanctions we'd have had to suffer had we done that as amateurs never mind what would happen in the professional game. What I did say was that they shouldn't have invited volunteers to clear the pitch. That would have taken any doubt out of the fixture and saved a number of people a wasted journey in difficult weather conditions.