St Mirren -Shower Of Hopeless Amateurs

shull

I'm reluctant to jump into this thread again, but just wanted to add a slightly different but linked dimension. I asked very briefly if the undersoil heating was on directly after the postponement announcement was made on Facebook, but NOT for the purpose of berating the club in the ridiculous manner the OP and a couple of other posters have here.

I was genuinely asking out of interest and out of hope that the club hadn't just lost a lot of money in spite of a huge effort (which everyone involved should be praised for). What I mean, and I could be wrong, is that I was of the impression that undersoil heating is only a requirement in the premier league, but not in the championship, and a couple of days before the game I could foresee the scenario playing out exactly as it did. I can understand the effort the club went to to get the game on, and everyone involved was very unlucky with the timing the snow came down, but I still can't help but wonder if maybe it might have been wiser and less costly to not use the heating given the forecast of heavy snow, and avoid the thousands of pounds loss to the club that resulted.

Just to be clear, I'm not making a rabid and faux-annoyed rant that I've seen from those mentioned, just wondering if given the rules for this league we might have done things a little differently. I don't think there is an easy answer though, as I do think the board were in a 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' situation, so no criticism from my perspective.

One thing though - I completely agree that the negative comments about our groundskeeping staff are completely out of order considering the phenomenal work they put in all year round.

Edited by zurich_allan

Still dining out very well on "we saved the club".

Which should never be forgot and most haven't. SSG is not on here playing the look what we done card. Rightly defending a member of the club staff. Lets be honest though there are plenty on this forum who do write things out of turn when it comes to the board. All very well looking from the outside when you don't realize the hours and money put into the club. Could you do it or even me. Not in a million years that's how I have respect for all the board.

Cannot believe I am reading some of this.

1. Chic did not say the ush was not used - fact

2. Tommy did not tell Chic the ush was not on - fact

3. Clearly due to the pitch being soft, the ush was clearly on and working - fact

4. I spoke to a player who told me the ush was turned off pre match - what player, name names - crap

You now have an employee of our club disgusted by the thoughts of some of his own fans, a winner of the groundsman of the year, a trusted and experienced employee who knows his job better than all of us, the producer of the best pitch in the country, a title confirmed by the majority of players in Scotland.

Just pathetic.

A great effort was made by many people to try and ensure the match was played on Saturday, regrettably the worst fall of snow seen for some while defeated these efforts, nobody was at fault, just nature won.

Some on this forum should take a good look at themselves.

You know who you are!

What Chick said was broadcast on the radio, it is a matter of fact. Only he spoke, only he knows what he was told and who told him, or not. I can see why he is embarrassed by it now, but that isn't the fault of any of the 2000 odd, many who paid out for transport etc, but didn't get a game to watch.

Perhaps you should be seeking an apology from Chick regards the club employee, because it was only him that made the comment.

I do agree that some on here should take a good look at themselves, those likening their support to 'Inbreds' should be first in front of the mirror.

Thanks for coming on to consult on playing a cup game on a friday night, when every fan survey on the subject craves Saturday football whenever possible.... Nope sorry forgot my mistake I apologise, that actually never happened.

But it would be helpful if you take great interest, and feel the need, urge, inclination to comment on an unofficial fan forum on issues/posts you dont agree with, to perhaps be a wee bit more proactive and engage with fans on the forum in advance of taking decisions that are out of the business as usual category that fans would like an input/voice/heads up on...?

Its surprising what can be achieved by talking, surpassed only by actively listening.... Two things the Fans Council do not attempt to do with the wider support.

I'm reluctant to jump into this thread again, but just wanted to add a slightly different but linked dimension. I asked very briefly if the undersoil heating was on directly after the postponement announcement was made on Facebook, but NOT for the purpose of berating the club in the ridiculous manner the OP and a couple of other posters have here.

I was genuinely asking out of interest and out of hope that the club hadn't just lost a lot of money in spite of a huge effort (which everyone involved should be praised for). What I mean, and I could be wrong, is that I was of the impression that undersoil heating is only a requirement in the premier league, but not in the championship, and a couple of days before the game I could foresee the scenario playing out exactly as it did. I can understand the effort the club went to to get the game on, and everyone involved was very unlucky with the timing the snow came down, but I still can't help but wonder if maybe it might have been wiser and less costly to not use the heating given the forecast of heavy snow, and avoid the thousands of pounds loss to the club that resulted.

Just to be clear, I'm not making a rabid and faux-annoyed rant that I've seen from those mentioned, just wondering if given the rules for this league we might have done things a little differently. I don't think there is an easy answer though, as I do think the board were in a 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' situation, so no criticism from my perspective.

One thing though - I completely agree that the negative comments about our groundskeeping staff are completely out of order considering the phenomenal work they put in all year round.

What a beautiful sugar coated post.

Lol

SGG STILL LOVES YOU

I have read your last sentence over again, and I cantbfor the life of me remember seeing anyone, anywhere making negative comments about the groundstaff..?

You fawn just a little too much for my liking but that is exactly my point too. The referee stated after making his decision that he had to take into account the efforts to keep the match on by a number of people.

I have always been fundamentally against the installation of undersoil heating at any Scottish Football ground. I have always taken the line if it's too cold for the pitch then it's too cold to have paying customers sitting outside on plastic seats. Unfortunately greedy Scottish football club chairmen brought in the ruling on USH - just as they did that stupid 10,000 seat minimum requirement rule - in order to protect their clubs from the basic premise of the sport. None of this was ever done in the customers best interests.

Sadly St Mirren repeated this mistake again last Saturday. In calling in volunteers to clear the pitch they created a situation where once again customers welfare was sidelined for self interest and greed.

The Match should have been postponed early morning when parts of the Pitch were still frozen and we were told that Snow was on it's way.

Whether that is right or wrong it was not a decision to be made by St Mirren but by the SFA representative (The Referee)!!

Quite right.. What was the ref thinking calling in all and sundry to inflict GBH on Scotland's finest playing surface with an array of garden and household tools.

Yes, the pitch was absolutely ruined by people brushing snow from it. People, including the groundman himself.

So ruined in fact, that it hosted an u-20s game just three days later.

St Mirren made the decision to clear the pitch.

Just so I can follow your logic Shull..............what do you suggest that after the referee did his first check in the morning, declaring that subject to the pitch not getting any worse the game would go ahead, St Mirren should do at that point??

Edited by WeeBud

Just so I can follow you logic Shull..............what do you suggest that after the referee did his first check in the morning, declaring that subject to the pitch not getting any worse the game would go ahead, St Mirren should do at that point??

All involved should have used common sense.

This thread along with all the shit stirrers on it should be locked.

No it should not be locked. Log off and go elsewhere if you dinnae approve.

Or have a Peroni

And I am not purchasing

Yes, the pitch was absolutely ruined by people brushing snow from it. People, including the groundman himself.

So ruined in fact, that it hosted an u-20s game just three days later.

Did it?

Just for shits and giggles old chap what is the common sense that St Mirren should have used after the ref's first inspection??

The pitch was unplayable in the morning.

Snow was on it's way.

Common sense means putting Match off then.

Simple

Whether that is right or wrong it was not a decision to be made by St Mirren but by the SFA representative (The Referee)!!

Who has said that he had to take into account the efforts the club made to get the game on. You're right the referee makes the decision but it was the club that summoned volunteers in a bid to get a match on when Scotland had a weather warning in place. That decision was bonkers.

How would St Mirren put the match off when the ref passed the pitch fit for play??

He clearly didn't. A further pitch inspection was organised for around 12 noon. It's quite obvious the referee was taking into account the efforts to make the pitch playable. I get that. Running a kids football club we had situations where the match was a late afternoon kick off so we'd wait till after lunch before doing the inspection to see if the pitch had thawed any.