Summer Football

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35334525

Reading some of the comments from the above BBC Sport website article about today's decision by the referee to abandon the game minutes before the scheduled kick-off, has rekindled the old controversy about summer football.

Stewart Gilmour seems to be in favour, but what do the fans think - after all they're the ones that count?

Whilst days like today are to be regretted, I for one do not see the sense in moving the season to June, July and August when a fair proportion of the potential customers(ie supporters) are away on holiday.

The Scottish winters are miserable enough without there being no light relief of football to brighten up our dreich lives.

PS: I am currently on the wild west coast of the Isle of Lewis and there is no snow at all.

Edited by northstbuddie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35334525

Reading some of the comments from the above BBC Sport website article about today's decision by the referee to abandon the game minutes before the scheduled kick-off, has rekindled the old controversy about summer football.

Stewart Gilmour seems to be in favour, but what do the fans think - after all they're the ones that count?

Whilst days like today are to be regretted, I for one do not see the sense in moving the season to June, July and August when a fair proportion of the potential customers(ie supporters) are away on holiday.

The Scottish winters are miserable enough without there being no light relief of football to brighten up our dreich lives.

PS: I am currently on the wild west coast of the Isle of Lewis and there is no snow at all.

People tend to go on Holiday for two weeks Maximum, that means missing one home game. How many people miss games in the winter because its too cold / wet / f**kin miserable / Skint in January ?

I think we would get more people attending overall, IMO more kids & families would attend also .Dont get me wrong , Scottish summers are not always Mediterranean-esque but the sodding awful scottish winters defo drive punters away.

I'm 100% in favour of summer football.

Me to. People are soft now than they were years ago thanks to the types of jobs available now. 8000 used to work in Babcock in Renfrew and thousand more in Rolls Royce and god knows how many in the shipyards in cold and hard condition inside or outside. Now the country workforce seem to be all in a offices with centre heating. The 8000 in Babcock is now down to a couple of hundreds and they are paying off the now and my name is in so hope to retire soon.

Me to. People are soft now than they were years ago thanks to the types of jobs available now. 8000 used to work in Babcock in Renfrew and thousand more in Rolls Royce and god knows how many in the shipyards in cold and hard condition inside or outside. Now the country workforce seem to be all in a offices with centre heating. The 8000 in Babcock is now down to a couple of hundreds and they are paying off the now and my name is in so hope to retire soon.

You must be pretty close to retirement age anyway.

What , like Cricket ,croquet & bank holiday traffic jams ?

It's my opinion and I like going in the winter cause if I didn't go there would be sod all else to do other than be bossed about the house with my boss.

In the summer there are lots of other things to do.

I would like to see summer football!

There is a lack of football during the summer so clubs would get more in TV revenue!

Games like today would not be an issue and player's and teams would not start there european Campaigns in middle of the season rather than pre season!

I would rather miss a couple of games because the wife booked a holiday than miss a game because I can't be arsed going to a midweek game away because the game on saturday has been called off!

In a pefect world a summer league with 16 team's in the premier is exactly the shake up Scottish football needs!

It's my opinion and I like going in the winter cause if I didn't go there would be sod all else to do other than be bossed about the house with my boss.

In the summer there are lots of other things to do.

The only positive thing about winter football is a big plate of home made soup when i get home !! wink.pngsmile.png

You must be pretty close to retirement age anyway.

Few years to go john but would have be 1 year earlier but thank to the Tory cnuts who decided I don't get my pension till I am 66 instead of 65, in spite of working since I was 15 and have never been out of work in my life. I am sure my son Thomas will look after me whistling.gif

Few years to go john but would have be 1 year earlier but thank to the Tory cnuts who decided I don't get my pension till I am 66 instead of 65, in spite of working since I was 15 and have never been out of work in my life. I am sure my son Thomas will look after me whistling.gif

Was it not Labour that brought in the planned increase, think that the Tory/Lib Dem coalition brought it forward

The problem with summer football/winter shutdowns is when will that shutdown be? We tend to have a four, possibly five month period where the weather can be severe enough to cause games to be cancelled. I've seen snow falling in abundant amounts from Late November to early April. And that doesn't even take into consideration the Autumnal gales and storms.

On average, snow is more likely here in February than January and more likely in March than December so February is the most common month for snow. So a summer football season starting in February or March would be more likely to see snow than current games scheduled for December and January.