Q And A Night With Alex And David

As stated - we do not have the quality of players who are able to do this and get away with it - a full set of defenders with that ability are not within the budget of any Scottish and most English clubs according to Alex Rae.

The problem is that if he stops the youth teams doing this then it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

By all means stop the 1st team doing it but stopping the youths doing it is a massive mistake.

On Saturday we conceded as the result of a side way pass in our own half (and a dodgy ref).

Scored a goal from a advanced thrown in. Blocked shot from distance fell to our player.

Scored after a high clearance fell to our midfield, one forward pass and a deflected shot from outside the box into the path of our player.

Scored following a headed clearance and one pass forward which set Mallan on his way.

3 goals from open play, no tippy tappy pish.

The more direct we are, the more chances we'll make. Especially at this level when the opposition defence will make mistakes.

Edited by davidg

On Saturday we conceded as the result of a side way pass in our own half (and a dodgy ref).

Scored a goal from a advanced thrown in. Blocked shot from distance fell to our player.

Scored after a high clearance fell to our midfield. Deflected shot from outside the box into the path of our player.

Scored following a headed clearance and one pass forward which set Mallan on his way.

3 goals from open play, no tippy tappy pish.

The more direct we are, the more chances we'll make. Especially at this level when the opposition defence will make mistakes.

And the problem is that we trade long term advancement for short term gain again.

This is football all over.

If Alex is instructing the youth teams to stop passing the ball from the back then IMO we are screwed.

In all honesty there is no reason the youth teams should change what they are doing. It's Alex Rae's opinion and fair play to him for it, but youth football should be about technique and learning the right way to be a better footballer. It's fairly easy to hoof the ball for anyone, regardless of whether you are good or not. Not quite the same when it comes to passing and moving when all you have learned is to hoof the ball...

I'm involved with coaching a local boys club. The kids are playing non competative 7 a side games, and the directive we have from the SJFA is to coach the kids how to play the ball out from the back. Goalkeepers aren't allowed to kick the ball long and must play the ball from the back in order to build play.

When they put you through the SFA coaching courses this is also specified that you must use the build from the back method of coaching, as this is the way forward. I understand why Alex Rae wants to play with a more direct approach at senior level, but if we want kids to have the basic skills mastered then we need to coach them how to be comfortable with the ball at their feet, and not just hoof it long.

They do not like playing the ball out from the back because "we do not have the silky players like Barcelona who can play it out from the back and get it up the park, nobody in Scotland has". Also added "I watched youth teams and cannot believe that they insist on playing it out only for the opposition to nip in and set up an attack" "it's unbelievable man" he says "man" quite often.

There aren't enough emoticons to express my delight at this..................

holiday.gificon12.gifpunk.gifpunk.giflol.gifpunk.gifsorcerer.gifthumbup2.gifclap.gifclap2.gifking.gifthumbup2.gifspudnikdaddyo.gifbiggrin.pnglaugh.pngsmile.pngboldblue.gifboldred.gifbounce.gifbounce2.gif

And the problem is that we trade long term advancement for short term gain again.

This is football all over.

If Alex is instructing the youth teams to stop passing the ball from the back then IMO we are screwed.

Fear not you rejoiced in beating Alloa twice.

Watch and learn dinosaurs

Fair play not having our first team not playing this way but the youths?

Anytime i watched the U/20s i'm impressed how they can football in any area of the park and still get results

The days of hoofball are gone even a team of midgets deal every easy with this style as Barca have shown over the years

Away back into your caves

Interesting that a number of people in the professional game don't think much of youth football as it is run within clubs in the UK. Derek McInnes for one has no time for it and actually got rid of it while he was at St Johnstone. He thought it was a waste of £100K every year and spent the money on his player budget. His thinking was apparently that the returns were not worth the effort nor the financial investment as the number of quality players produced by the combined 42 clubs over the previous 10 years wasn't enough to get eleven on the park. Don't know what the current state of youth football at Aberdeen is - he might have convinced wee Stuarty to give it the elbow for all I know.

Also the transfer market in Scottish Football is no longer operating in the traditional way and most clubs now sign players either on freedom of contract or on loan. I guess AR is of a similar mind. How many players of real quality has the youth system north of the border produced since 2000? What huge transfer fees have been paid to our clubs. I'm struggling here and even the national team is full of players with English accents.

How many players are lost to the game when they reach the age limit for under 20s and get their jotters. Left totally disillusioned and scunnered. bring back reserve leagues. Some players are not fully physical developed at 21,, and would benefit from playing against old pros in reserve football or send them to Ayrshire juniors

Watch and learn dinosaurs

Fair play not having our first team not playing this way but the youths?

Anytime i watched the U/20s i'm impressed how they can football in any area of the park and still get results

The days of hoofball are gone even a team of midgets deal every easy with this style as Barca have shown over the years

Away back into your caves

These kids look great and no doubt previous teams played with similar style and quality.

So what has gone wrong?

Why do we not produce £m players?

Fear not you rejoiced in beating Alloa twice.

I rejoiced in winning two games.

I couldn't have cared less who it was against.

6 points is 6 points unless you are claiming that 6 points against Rangers is a different 6 points to those gained against Alloa.

I'm getting used to dealing with people as slow as you. I understand patience and repetition is the key.

These kids look great and no doubt previous teams played with similar style and quality.

So what has gone wrong?

THAT is the question.

Those kids are undoubtedly great.

I don't buy this "too many distractions" nonsense either - the problem is too widespread for that and Scotland seems to be uniquely affected.

The root of the problem is closer to home.

I rejoiced in winning two games.

I couldn't have cared less who it was against.

6 points is 6 points unless you are claiming that 6 points against Rangers is a different 6 points to those gained against Alloa.

I'm getting used to dealing with people as slow as you. I understand patience and repetition is the key.

But we didn't pass the ball out from the back.

So what has gone wrong?

To answer your question we don't produce any forwards in our system

They are the ones who get the good money and we are club who doesn't do hardball

Take the first offer in case there's no more

Longwell produces good youth teams but not good players imo

Not surprising as his teams are players cast aside from bigger clubs with a few brought all the way through

Every season we seem to rid of the forwards playing the U/20's

We need a reserve league full stop

There has to be a bridge between U/20s and the first team

Did they actually say anything we didn't know or was this just a paper ticking exercise for smisa to make money?

For someone who wasn't interested in going along......you're very interested in what happened.

There's no problem with teaching kids the right things - control, passing, movement, being comfortable on the ball etc - in fact, it has to be done. I think what Rae is pointing out that there's no point in asking players who aren't comfortable with the ball to play in that way.

If we bring through players who are good enough to play that way in the environment of professional football, I doubt that there are many managers who wouldn't want to encourage it.

A direct style of play means more balls in the oppositon box, more shots on goal, and more chances. It means less passing about on the edge of our own box going round in circles and inviting the opposition to take the ball from us.

At the end of the day if the team wins you never hear anyone debating the formation, the style of play or anything else. Most fans just want to see their team win and if a more direct style of play brings more wins then that is absolutely fine by me!

I'm absolutely delighted that Rae seems intent on playing more directly.

This is how teams like ICT came from below us and over took us during Danny Lennon's reign. By getting the ball up the park as quickly as possible.

Horses for courses and all that.

Championship football...A direct, pressing game is the only way to play.