Sign in to follow this  
buddiecat

Q And A Night With Alex And David

It’s easy to buy into a summary of events, rather than listening to what Rae actually said.

Must admit I wasn’t keen on the guy at first, but there’s no denying he has a certain quality about him. The combination of Rae and Farrell seems to be well trusted. Rae the more vocal of the pair, with a strong idea of where he wants to take the club. Farrell is a bit of a silent assassin, fully behind Rae and clearly knows his way of thinking.

The dynamic in the dressing room must be entirely different now. Players know that if they don’t perform, Rae and Farrell won’t hesitate to swing the axe. Got to have respect for that no nonsense approach. Messrs Gow, Howieson and Agnew might be on a shaky peg come summer.

Impressed by his approach to the first team. Football is a results business. Winning brings confidence, confidence brings good football. “Tippy tappy pish” at the back has never impressed me at St Mirren, but I do like to see fast, direct football going forward. I don’t believe Rae means he wants to play hoof baw – rather, he just feels that direct football is the way to get results in this division. It’s difficult to disagree with him on that.

As for the development team, there is an argument to be made that it’s not ideal preparation for the first team. But every team is in the same boat with no B team or reserve league in Scotland. Hope he doesn’t attempt to change the way our development squad plays as I feel this could damage our tremendous reputation for bringing through young talent.

Overall, very impressed! Hope to see his words translate on to the pitch.

Like the previous poster, I wasnt keen on this managerial appointment,but as results appear to have picked up (admittedly from a very low point)I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Having only heard Alex Rae on radio, he struck me as being like Lennon,Craig,Macpherson in that he is pretty inarticulate and ought to be kept away from microphones for his own good. However its likely that modern footballers would be unimpressed if Stephen Hawking gave the team talk, so if a certain amount of cajoling by Rae and his hand picked assistant gets the players moving, its not such a bad thing.

Until things go wrong - and by that I mean defeat tomorrow - Rae has the Frogs temporary indulgence, which is more than can be said for anyone over the last few years.

Whilst still on my one man campaign againt admission prices at home, I am tempted to go to QOS tomorrow to pass judgement on my teams progress, or otherwise.

Now, back to find a cold damp place under my rock.

As demonstrated by his predecessors who could not manage a home win between them, Raes blunt approach seems to be just the tonic we needed. I will be honest when Alloa went one up I thought, we are down. The 80 mins that followed plus the QOS game has shown 2 wins 4 goals and 6 points, we now look up rather than down.

I am also not naïve like some here that we go from total Murray shit to Barca in a few weeks. Fact is OUR players now know they can win at home, our players are getting win bonuses, our players can see a play off promo rather than a play off drop zone, and our fans can actually think we might win this, rather than we wont.

We got 9 wins and 26 league losses last season, add to that 10 losses last season. Thats 36 defeats in 14 months of football months

Since Rae has come in we have had 4 wins in 7 weeks, trhats quite a mindset turnaround. Of course we are not playing silky flowing football but now if we get to 4th after the Murray car crash that will be IMHO a success and something to build on

Not sure "lumping it up the park" is fair to Alex Rae. He may feel that in the position he inherited, the best policy for now is to get the ball away from your goal , either up or off the field which at least gives the defence time to regroup. I think he has talked about "not fannying about at the back" which can lead to mistakes, interceptions and, unfortunately, goals against. There's a big difference between playing about at the back (which we seem to have done in recent years to our cost) and playing out from the back. I'm all for teaching the youngsters to play out from the back as long as the emphasis is on getting up the field quickly - if you haven't seen the video of the under 13's against Hibs, have a look. It looks like they've been taught to pass and run into space for a return. That philosophy should continue post-Longwell and I think it will under Alex Rae. I also think we'll see it start to appear in the first team if we can get further away from the bottom of the table, but we need to have players capable of doing it - and grafting too!

Nah I think Rae and Farrell will stick to the style that served him well throughout his playing years. Neither were silky players, neither ever played for football clubs that played silky football. Both achieved great results and all their success through playing basic simple football where there was always an tendency to play the ball long and to be as organised as possible at the back.

Who cares though? If it gets results St Mirren fans will love it regardless.

Nah I think Rae and Farrell will stick to the style that served him well throughout his playing years. Neither were silky players, neither ever played for football clubs that played silky football. Both achieved great results and all their success through playing basic simple football where there was always an tendency to play the ball long and to be as organised as possible at the back.

Who cares though? If it gets results I will love it regardless.

You do care. whistling.gif

The way the defence plays now is winning us games!

By going long when in trouble it gives the defence time to regroup Jack Baird is young and IMO in the last 2 matches in particular he's looked solid and confident.. look at Jacks performances under Murray! We could see a player there but he lacked confidence looked nervous!

I was totally unimpressed by the appointment of Alex Rae as manager but he's done everything right so far and for the last 2 saturdays my beers tasted better because of the results he's brought!

As for Davie Longwell goodluck to him and thanks for his work but it's a great opportunity for him!

As for St.Mirren Davie Longwell leaving and Brian Caldwell leaving is not a bad thing both worked hard for St.Mirren but we needed change for years now!

I like the fact Alex Rae wants to start a scouting system I always thought Longwell didn't sign enough local talent!

I like Tonny Fitz comming home!

I agree with Rae football was better when the reserve leagues were about.

On every front Alex Rae has done a better job than Murray,Teale and Craig there football got us relegated or in the relegation zone!

Under Rae we are 4 points away form playoff place!

After the three stoodgies above I don't care how we win because at least we see wins!!!

Small steps. From a very low position it takes time to reach the heights. I'm realistic enough to understand that it might be a case of two steps forward, one step back. As long as this isn't inverted.

The first thing we need is home advantage being an advantage. Touch wood this is starting to happen. Where this will take us this season we have to wait and see.

Edited by stlucifer