Smisa & Gordon Scott Submit Bid

div

I must say that if/when the time comes that this forum have an awards ceremony (in the Paisley town hall as we would have to fit all the poster's and aliases in) then I would certianly give that post my nomination for "post of 2015".

Well done.

Every other year can be won by me!

What about 2016 whistling.gif

With talk of an Atlantic League back on the agenda again I think SMiSA should withdraw their bid for the club and sit tight. The potential loss of Celtic and "Rangers" to the SPFL would severely damage the value of the shares and I don't think it would be wise for the fans group to be stuck with those shares when the music stops.

With talk of an Atlantic League back on the agenda again I think SMiSA should withdraw their bid for the club and sit tight. The potential loss of Celtic and "Rangers" to the SPFL would severely damage the value of the shares and I don't think it would be wise for the fans group to be stuck with those shares when the music stops.

A League without the Ugly Sisters is the best thing that could happen to Scottish football.

Atlantic League. What a lot of old shite. It'll never happen. Absolute nonsense.

A League without the Ugly Sisters is the best thing that could happen to Scottish football.

Maybe so but it would not boost the value of the club or the commercial value of the game in Scotland. Considering that Stewart Gilmour was predicting armageddon when Rangers collapsed I can't see why anyone would want to pay over £1m for the any club in the Scottish game right now

Atlantic League. What a lot of old shite. It'll never happen. Absolute nonsense.

I used to think that but my view is changing. FIFA have been severely weakened by their scandals and UEFA are desperate to expand the commercial activity in the Champions League. Its entirely credible that a number of smaller leagues - like the SPFL - could be frozen out completely or be grouped into a single league like the Atlantic League which would then have qualification places allocated.

I don't like the direction the sport seems headed in but regardless for the good of its membership I think SMiSA should pull the plug until this whole Atlantic League thing has concluded one way or another.

I used to think that but my view is changing. FIFA have been severely weakened by their scandals and UEFA are desperate to expand the commercial activity in the Champions League. Its entirely credible that a number of smaller leagues - like the SPFL - could be frozen out completely or be grouped into a single league like the Atlantic League which would then have qualification places allocated.

I don't like the direction the sport seems headed in but regardless for the good of its membership I think SMiSA should pull the plug until this whole Atlantic League thing has concluded one way or another.

The thing is the value placed on the Club, as it returns no dividend, is not directly tied into the value of the league. it is not a elastic market, where external factors directly and immediatley impact a price, and that is what makes football clubs a special case of economic entity

I think SMiSA should pull the plug until this whole Atlantic League thing has concluded one way or another.

Even if there is a chance of this materialising (I'm not buying it), what would mark the point at which it was concluded one way or another? Should SMiSA wait indefinitely while a lazy press and/or Peter Lawell and whoever his equivalent is at the new club drag this crap up time after time? What would mark the end point?

Seriously Atlantic League ! This has been banging about for decades and given the current elitest Ch Lge restructure there will be dozens of clubs out of that picture who will be ahead of the two cheeks in the pecking order for any crumbs offered from UEFA's top table. Personally I'm all for it if it means losing that pair for good. A breath of fresh air would sweep through Scottish football.

one of the reasons our league is dying is because there is no longer any clear line of sight between the Scottish domestic leagues and European competiton. The process started way back in the 70s when the cup-winners cup and ICFC were merged into the UEFA cup and kicked on a distance when the ECL and Europa league were started, domestic cups became immediately devalued as a result and then they started sorting the wheat from the chaff with the contorted pre-qualification processes (inter-toto cup, FFS). it was all about taking out the romance and pandering to those who wanted guaranteed success at almost any price.

It's bound to hit the game when bigger clubs openly play weakened sides in cup competitions that the smaller clubs would collectively die to win. What is the point of busting a gut to beat a celtic or Man U if they openly say they don't care about the competiton?

Given recent events, I think the Atlantic League will come along soon enough

The thing is the value placed on the Club, as it returns no dividend, is not directly tied into the value of the league. it is not a elastic market, where external factors directly and immediatley impact a price, and that is what makes football clubs a special case of economic entity

They do though. Let's say Sky Sports decide to pay £1Bn for TV rights next season the value of every club in Scotland would be affected as money men would see the possibility to make money for little investment. Similarly if the TV companies pulled out of Scottish football next season the financial viability of many member clubs would be impacted....and the value of the business is directly affected by administration and liquidation as we saw at Ibrox.

In many ways the most valuable asset a club like St Mirren has is their SPFL membership. If the league is devalued through two of our clubs with the biggest customer base leaving to play in a league directly in competition with the SPFL then the value of St Mirren FC has to be devalued too.

Let's face it Richard the shares at Douglas Street are only worth what the consortium believes if they have a buyer prepared to pay the asking price and prospective buyers valuing the club at £2m+ will be very thin on the ground if there's no Celtic, no "Rangers", no TV money and most likely very little sponsorship money

They do though. Let's say Sky Sports decide to pay £1Bn for TV rights next season the value of every club in Scotland would be affected as money men would see the possibility to make money for little investment. Similarly if the TV companies pulled out of Scottish football next season the financial viability of many member clubs would be impacted....and the value of the business is directly affected by administration and liquidation as we saw at Ibrox.

In many ways the most valuable asset a club like St Mirren has is their SPFL membership. If the league is devalued through two of our clubs with the biggest customer base leaving to play in a league directly in competition with the SPFL then the value of St Mirren FC has to be devalued too.

Let's face it Richard the shares at Douglas Street are only worth what the consortium believes if they have a buyer prepared to pay the asking price and prospective buyers valuing the club at £2m+ will be very thin on the ground if there's no Celtic, no "Rangers", no TV money and most likely very little sponsorship money

I think there was a new £10m deal this week to show SPFL games overseas and the Herald is today reporting that Europes "2nd tier" clubs are already talking of a new set-up below any revamped Champions League that will exclude our club sides. The boat has sailed for any Scottish club side to be involved in a break away league. Consistent poor performance over the last few years will have seen to that. All this will have no bearing what-so-ever on the sale of our club.

I think there was a new £10m deal this week to show SPFL games overseas and the Herald is today reporting that Europes "2nd tier" clubs are already talking of a new set-up below any revamped Champions League that will exclude our club sides. The boat has sailed for any Scottish club side to be involved in a break away league. Consistent poor performance over the last few years will have seen to that. All this will have no bearing what-so-ever on the sale of our club.

Are you sure, what is the point of supporting a Celtic or Rangers if they cannot go out to play with the big boys?

Cutting them out of Europe will undoubtely decimate their fan base, unless they can get into the English leagues. Both will be happy to accept league 2 if the Euro plans are pushed through. Only other option is for a UK league that will absorb maybe 5 or 6 teams from the SPL into their 4 league set-up and consign the rest of us to regional league status

Just read the Belgian proposal, seems Rummenigge has already got what he wants. Divide and conquer amongst the also rans who could still scupper his proposal if they had the cojones . rather than stand up to him they have already started fighting over the scraps from the big table.

This makes his job so much easier

game over-quite literally

Are you sure, what is the point of supporting a Celtic or Rangers if they cannot go out to play with the big boys?

Cutting them out of Europe will undoubtely decimate their fan base, unless they can get into the English leagues. Both will be happy to accept league 2 if the Euro plans are pushed through. Only other option is for a UK league that will absorb maybe 5 or 6 teams from the SPL into their 4 league set-up and consign the rest of us to regional league status

TV deals are in place and we can only accomodate 2500 of their fans at our stadium and get no share of the gate money from their crowds so how will the current talk of any Euro league that they are not going to be involved in have any bearing on the sale of SMFC. The money offered will be the money offered regardless and the consortium will either accept it or reject it. Do you honestly see GS or SMISA pulling out of the process just because of talk or a Euro league especially one no Scottish clubs are going to be qualified to join. Scaremongering on a EU referendum scale !!!

Like it or not Rangers & Celtic both command big enough support to be invited to the table in any breakaway Euro league.

I hope they are, and I hope they both bugger off.

TV deals are in place and we can only accomodate 2500 of their fans at our stadium and get no share of the gate money from their crowds so how will the current talk of any Euro league that they are not going to be involved in have any bearing on the sale of SMFC. The money offered will be the money offered regardless and the consortium will either accept it or reject it. Do you honestly see GS or SMISA pulling out of the process just because of talk or a Euro league especially one no Scottish clubs are going to be qualified to join. Scaremongering on a EU referendum scale !!!

I don't know where your getting your figures from. The report I saw this morning claimed you can now watch Scottish football in 100 countries bringing in around £2.5m in revenue every year. There's no mention of annual contracts with anyone other than the Chinese.

Take Celtic and "Rangers" out of the equation and the Scottish game is no more marketable than the League of Ireland.

SMISA should pull out of the bid ASAP to ensure their membership aren't stuck with overpriced shares, large debt and a financial mess truing to balance the books.

Like it or not Rangers & Celtic both command big enough support to be invited to the table in any breakaway Euro league.

I hope they are, and I hope they both bugger off.

Me too but so far we have a revamped Ch Lge and a 2nd tier beneath that being discussed and they dont appear to be considered. This has been talked about for 20 years plus and probably will be for another 20. The day we all live in fear of the two cheeks leaving really will be the day the game dies in my eyes.

It could happen quite easily. Bayern and PSG winning their leagues every year is going to get boring. If the top 4 or 5 English clubs fancy it, it will happen. It would make sense for a second also rans league below the top division and clubs with a large fan base and 50,000 + seat stadiums would be invited.

They would likely be booted out a year later when the Euopeans realise what utter scum they have invited to their cities.

By which time hopefully the Scottish league door will be firmly shut for them!

Well we can dream...