St Mirren V Alloa Athletic 30/1/16

shull

We're almost into February and have just won our first home game of the season against Alloa Athletic.

And folk are celebrating like we've won the World Cup.

Sums up how shite we really are.

we won i thought u would be happy..no?

get over your self and cheer up

wins breed confidence - good start to finally have the monkey off our back

on another note makes my weekend sweeter

off out to Glasgow now with fam and friends birthday weekend biggrin.png yee haaaa

holiday.gifsorcerer.gifthumbup2.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifnologo.gif

ETA* COYS

Edited by jama

Fantastic result but murder to watch. Alloa were the better team for most of the match. They worked harder, passed better, attacked more effectively. The difference was a bit of luck. Our second goal l think shank land had a nudge an they missed a couple of sitters. I am sure if mall an had scored the third earlier we would have been better. Confidence is clearly bereft at present and we hopefully will kick on, but let us not be under any illusions. We can name pass, Mallon tries to do ridiculous things at times and costs us, and clarkson who did well will not score goals without service. We need to have a go and play with some confidence and show our ability....coys

Good result, but the performance needs refined. But results are all that matters.

The centre midfield two were pretty poor. Failed time and time to retain possession.

Clarkson was industrious and created service for himself as none was forthcoming.

Definitely need to improve, as Alloa definitely kept us on the edge

Not long in. Not a particularly great performance but great to finally get that monkey off our back and get that elusive first home win. Thought the penalty calls were ridiculous - how can you penalise Baird when he is lying on the ground and hasn't a clue that the Alloa boy hits a mistimed shot against him. And how the ref somehow missed the Alloa defender practically punching the ball away - right in front of him I may add - beggared belief.

No complete stand outs but thought our backline looked reasonably solid. Clarkson showed some touches of real class in terms of his movement and awareness. If he gets the service then he will score goals for us, pure and simple. However, our midfield still sorely lacks a midfield ball winner and playmaker to complement Mallan. Could really do with some extra bodies in there but doubt anything would happen unless we can move a couple of folk on, notably Howieson.

Indeed.

While the rest have been happy clapping defeat all season, you have at least spoken out and pointed out how bad we are.

You are a real supporter Elvis.

Well I happily clapping after the 3rd goal went in.

Kind of reminded me of Jimmy Bones solo run against Aberdeen.

Good result, dire performance . But hey ,its a win !!

The new guys need a few games to gel, & hopefully the run of games we have over the next few weeks will be just what they need.

Defo penalty for us & one of the most ridiculous offside calls i have ever seen .

I can only presume Shankland was offside when Clarkson flicked on if he wasn't then the official clearly wasn't actually watching the game. As for the Alloa handball at the edge of the box the ref had an absolute shocker.

Thought Clarkson did well won flick ons and linked play well and once he gets to know the other players will only get better. Cooper we will wait and see but didn't see much that tells me he can make a major difference

Fantastic result but murder to watch. Alloa were the better team for most of the match. They worked harder, passed better, attacked more effectively. The difference was a bit of luck. Our second goal l think shank land had a nudge an they missed a couple of sitters. I am sure if mall an had scored the third earlier we would have been better. Confidence is clearly bereft at present and we hopefully will kick on, but let us not be under any illusions. We can name pass, Mallon tries to do ridiculous things at times and costs us, and clarkson who did well will not score goals without service. We need to have a go and play with some confidence and show our ability....coys

I thought Mallan was going to strain his arm given the number of times he had to extend it in apology for giving the ball away.

Took his goal well, but other than that, thought he had a 'mare.

Clarkson looks a class above, although lacked a little in match fitness. Nice touches, held the ball up and always tried to bring Shankland into the game. Although, Shankland wasn't great today either.

Thought Langfield was pretty solid, although thought there were a couple of crosses he might have come for.

Agree with other posters about Watson. Looked pretty geed up today.

End result mattered more than the performance today.

P.S. According to someone who watched the game on SMTV, our penalty claim, although perfectly valid, was outside the box.

Edited by FTOF

Terrible game of football, but a welcome three points.

Serious questions have to be asked why offside was given when the Alloa player sliced the ball back to Shankland.

Maybe the linesman was solely paying attention to Shanlands position and not paying attention to who played the ball. But sure between the linesman and the ref they can come to a semi-competent decision.

It was truly baffling and only is the best example I've seen yet as to how incompetent Scottish officials are.

I thought Mallan was going to strain his arm given the number of times he had to extend it in apology for giving the ball away.

Took his goal well, but other than that, thought he had a 'mare.

Clarkson looks a class above, although lacked a little in match fitness. Nice touches, held the ball up and always tried to bring Shankland into the game. Although, Shankland wasn't great today either.

Thought Langfield was pretty solid, although thought there were a couple of crosses he might have come for.

Agree with other posters about Watson. Looked pretty geed up today.

End result mattered more than the performance today.

P.S. According to someone who watched the game on SMTV, our penalty claim, although perfectly valid, was outside the box.

Which penalty claim? If you mean the hand ball it was definitely a handball and it was clearly outside the box.

Quite a few positives today. Obviously 3 points and the historical significance of finally winning at home.

Agnew was dropped and I think we will have seen the last of Howieson in a starting line-up so two more bonuses.

Clarkson looked a solid pro causing their defence problems. Once he gets match fit I think he will be important for us. Quinn looked half decent the last 30 mins after a bit of an anonymous first half. Cooper looked very effective for his debut. I believe he can also play wide right. If so move him there and push Kelly up on the left with Stewart coming in at left back. That way Gallagher can move to the bench.

Although Irvine was only on 10 mins you could tell he is a player who knows what he is doing. Very calm and assured. Again looks like a potentially decent signing.

Unlike others I thought we were much better than Alloa today although I would sign their no 14 - strong and holds the ball up well - he hardly misplaced a pass. With some decent finishing we could have won that far more comfortably.

All in all a lot better day than I have had at the football for a long time :)

-

For me Clarkson was MOM, he dragged defenders all over the place,made space, his movement was terrific, he will be good .

Keith Watson was a close second,Clarkson took a knock and has not played much and that was why he was subbed.

Aye, said as much to my mate this afternoon. Very good movement, and played the Thommo role very effectively (winning flick ons and creating space).

Quite a few positives today. Obviously 3 points and the historical significance of finally winning at home.

Agnew was dropped and I think we will have seen the last of Howieson in a starting line-up so two more bonuses.

Clarkson looked a solid pro causing their defence problems. Once he gets match fit I think he will be important for us. Quinn looked half decent the last 30 mins after a bit of an anonymous first half. Cooper looked very effective for his debut. I believe he can also play wide right. If so move him there and push Kelly up on the left with Stewart coming in at left back. That way Gallagher can move to the bench.

Although Irvine was only on 10 mins you could tell he is a player who knows what he is doing. Very calm and assured. Again looks like a potentially decent signing.

Unlike others I thought we were much better than Alloa today although I would sign their no 14 - strong and holds the ball up well - he hardly misplaced a pass. With some decent finishing we could have won that far more comfortably.

All in all a lot better day than I have had at the football for a long time smile.png

-

Aye, its all about opinions right enough.

I thought Gallagher did fine, and Irvine looked very rusty (as might reasonably be expected).

Overall, it wasn't great fare, but the result is much more important that the performance.

Appropriate that Phil was playing Starman over the tannoy as the ref and west stand linesman were a pair of space cadets.

Wasn't pretty but got the job done and that home win jinx is out the way. Five point gap to Livi with a game in hand is decent too.