St Mirren V Alloa Athletic 30/1/16

shull

Appropriate that Phil was playing Starman over the tannoy as the ref and west stand linesman were a pair of space cadets.

Wasn't pretty but got the job done and that home win jinx is out the way. Five point gap to Livi with a game in hand is decent too.

Make that two. And both at home as well.

Appropriate that Phil was playing Starman over the tannoy as the ref and west stand linesman were a pair of space cadets.

Wasn't pretty but got the job done and that home win jinx is out the way. Five point gap to Livi with a game in hand is decent too.

Phil thinks he's the star of the show , arsehole !

Not a particularly great performance against the poorest side in the league but a great moral boosting win.

We need to start home games on the front with real purpose but hopefully that will come with confidence and time on the training ground.

New players played their part and 4th spot is only 7 points away so onwards and upwards.

Wasn't the most enjoyable game, but not may have been this season.

3 points was an absolute must today and the players delivered. I thought Quinn came onto a game in the second half and could be a useful player for us. Clarkson will definitely do a job at this level, hope he starts banging the goals in.

Overall we did what we set out to do... Onward and upwards .

COYS

I thought there were more positives than negatives. The back line looked very solid. and although Alloa had a lot of possession, I don't think that they really created many chances. Quinn Mallan, Howison Gallacher were all good in parts and less good in others, Cooper looked like a player who had played 7 times in two years. Shanklin worked hard.

But Clarkson looked superb. Fully fit he will run riot. He took possession kept it, linked play. With a bit of luck we could have won by more.

Still work to do but definitely better

ETA even though we defended far too deep in the last 20 minutes, it was noticeable that our fitness was much better

Edited by insaintee

Quite a few positives today. Obviously 3 points and the historical significance of finally winning at home.

Agnew was dropped and I think we will have seen the last of Howieson in a starting line-up so two more bonuses.

Clarkson looked a solid pro causing their defence problems. Once he gets match fit I think he will be important for us. Quinn looked half decent the last 30 mins after a bit of an anonymous first half. Cooper looked very effective for his debut. I believe he can also play wide right. If so move him there and push Kelly up on the left with Stewart coming in at left back. That way Gallagher can move to the bench.

Although Irvine was only on 10 mins you could tell he is a player who knows what he is doing. Very calm and assured. Again looks like a potentially decent signing.

Unlike others I thought we were much better than Alloa today although I would sign their no 14 - strong and holds the ball up well - he hardly misplaced a pass. With some decent finishing we could have won that far more comfortably.

All in all a lot better day than I have had at the football for a long time :)

-

Yeah I was impressed with their number 14, McManus a young player on loan from Celtic.

I thought Mallan was going to strain his arm given the number of times he had to extend it in apology for giving the ball away.

Took his goal well, but other than that, thought he had a 'mare.

Clarkson looks a class above, although lacked a little in match fitness. Nice touches, held the ball up and always tried to bring Shankland into the game. Although, Shankland wasn't great today either.

Thought Langfield was pretty solid, although thought there were a couple of crosses he might have come for.

Agree with other posters about Watson. Looked pretty geed up today.

End result mattered more than the performance today.

P.S. According to someone who watched the game on SMTV, our penalty claim, although perfectly valid, was outside the box.

Agreed on all counts, including the penalty shout. Definitely a handball, but probably outside.

Clarkson looked absolute quality... Fantastic movement, anticipation, link play and workrate. If that is him lacking match fitness, I am excited at what is to come.

Shanks had a poor match today and I would have brought Thommo on for him with 20 to play..

But when was the last time we had genuine options up front.

Can't believe the criticism Quinn is getting. Would you rather Carswell returned?

Quinn did the gritty dirty stuff well and worked bloody hard throughout. We needed that today.

Alloa were no fodder and they had a great gameplan. Solid shape. Worked hard. Pressed us high up the pitch.

Ross had obviously done his homework as up till today, that would have been enough to beat us!

Finally, despite a match that was a dirge at times, there are genuine signs of the rot being halted.

Clarkson looked absolute quality... Fantastic movement, anticipation, link play and workrate. If that is him lacking match fitness, I am excited at what is to come.

Shanks had a poor match today and I would have brought Thommo on for him with 20 to play..

But when was the last time we had genuine options up front.

Can't believe the criticism Quinn is getting. Would you rather Carswell returned?

Quinn did the gritty dirty stuff well and worked bloody hard throughout. We needed that today.

Alloa were no fodder and they had a great gameplan. Solid shape. Worked hard. Pressed us high up the pitch.

Ross had obviously done his homework as up till today, that would have been enough to beat us!

Finally, despite a match that was a dirge at times, there are genuine signs of the rot being halted.

Spot on you could see Quinn is quality in his movements without the ball and Clarkson did fine despite being short on fitness. Second half Gallagher was excellent too. Rae has us heading in the right direction despite what the haters say. Edited by Ayrshire Saints

Spot on you could see Quinn is quality in his movements without the ball and Clarkson did fine despite being short on fitness. Second half Gallagher was excellent too. Rae has us heading in the right direction despite what the haters say.

Haters ?

Who ?