Welcome Home Saints Legend , Tony Fitzpatrick

shull

Looked like I am the only saint fan not kissing his arse whistling.gif Maybe because my wife used to work for him and an other guy years ago, and when Tony left the business he decided to tell lies about my wife thumbdown.gif Afterword he did say sorry and did admit he was out of order, but the respect that I had for him was lost that day never to return.

It all went south for Tony in his first stint as manager when Frank McGarvey left and Gordon Smith came in as manager.

Tony actually managed to take a side that had just avoided relegation and turn them into a side that challenged Hearts for a place in Europe, without signing anyone.

Once Smith came in, that changed. The cash from the sale of Ferguson, along with selling Cameron, Winnie and Brian Hamilton was effectively flushed down the drain by Smith.

Torfason was a decent signing but beyond that it was £ millions wasted.

In his second spell, we challenged for promotion in his first season, just missing out on the play offs. A Combe dropped ball at home to Airdrie put paid to that.

Second season turned into a disaster. What should have been a push for promotion ended up being a battle against relegation after a bad slump late in the season.

After that, Tony brought in Baltacha and turned the tactics towards ultra defence. Yardley and Mendes dropped out and defence was the order of the day. Things could have been different had Tony kept attacking.

In essence, it was his choice of assistant manager in both spells that played a big part in his downfalls.

After a heavy home defeat, I think against Airdrie, Tony was out and Tom Hendrie was in.

Yardley and Mendes were recalled to the side, along with Tommy Turner. The rest is history....

Edited by nosferatu

It all went south for Tony in his first stint as manager when Frank McGarvey left and Gordon Smith came in as manager.

Tony actually managed to take a side that had just avoided relegation and turn them into a side that challenged Hearts for a place in Europe, without signing anyone.

Once Smith came in, that changed. The cash from the sale of Ferguson, along with selling Cameron, Winnie and Brian Hamilton was effectively flushed down the drain by Smith.

Torfason was a decent signing but beyond that it was £ millions wasted.

In his second spell, we challenged for promotion in his first season, just missing out on the play offs. A Combe dropped ball at home to Airdrie put paid to that.

Second season turned into a disaster. What should have been a push for promotion ended up being a battle against relegation after a bad slump late in the season.

After that, Tony brought in Baltacha and turned the tactics towards ultra defence. Yardley and Mendes dropped out and defence was the order of the day. Things could have been different had Tony kept attacking.

After a heavy home defeat, I think against Airdrie, Tony was out and Tom Hendrie was in.

Yardley and Mendes were recalled to the side, along with Tommy Turner. The rest is history....

Aaahem, he is our new CEO. What relevance has this got?

In case you don't know the CEO doesn't pick the team.

I was originally very pleased with this appointment, however it is now some 7 hours since Tony was appointed and yet he still hasn't signed any new players.

Mon to f**k Fitzpatrick, pull the finger out !

Doesn't take over till mid Feb. So he's not a miricle worker. lol. Edited by santaponsasaint

So yesterday mate.

I told you.

When I was chatting to the Chief Exec in person, he told me the full story!

Your humorous references are so Jim Davidson... That up to date! :-P

Wooo, hark at you. Chats with the CEO. Private tours. You've changed.

Billy Big Baws... Sevco's next signing?

Wooo, hark at you. Chats with the CEO. Private tours. You've changed.

Billy Big Baws... Sevco's next signing?

No chance...

Too taxing a move.

I shall still listen to your outdated shite out of friendship, and update you when not betraying confidentialities.

Of course, you realise that Tone and me are mates. He bought the coffees last time around!

I'll put a word in for you.

Hall of Fame boards you say!

Think I've heard of them!

Tony is too nice a guy to be CEO.

Just think how many things he's said over the years like Lennon to stay , gillies to ac Milan. I'm sure he even said tommy craig would turn it around

He's always positive I think you need a ruthless streak in you to be a CEO

Dont let Tony,s exterior mannerism fool you.Inside he,s as tough as old boots and will no doubt not miss and hit the wall when players come to him for bonus,s etc that he does not think are due.What he says at times are the opposite of what he thinks and he does not suffer fools gladly.I,ve absolutely no doubt that his appointment will galvanise our club and the supporters and hopefully push the sale of the club on as well.Our clubs in good hands with a guy who genuinely loves St Mirren.Welcome home Tony.You,ve reignited my passion for all things St Mirren.

If he is replacing Caldwell he is not exactly a "CEO". All the big decisions are taken by the board / SG.....or not taken as the case may be. The job title before was GM, which I think is a truer reflection.

For day to day running of the club, dealing with supporters, press, raising our profile etc we couldn't get a better man for the job.

Job title for BC was chief execuitve officer and he did all the work associated with that role

Reading Tony in the PDE today still thinks fan ownership is the way forward for St.Mirren and he came close to buying the club a few years ago!

I love Tony I'm delighted he's home and he is perfect to be St.Mirren's CEO don't undestand how being nice is a bad thing in his position?

What we have now is someone who has success in local business who people like who has a wealth of knowledge of football!

Tony never shucked a tackle as a player and just because your Nice doesn't mean you are not ruthless!

Tony's a nice guy but by no means soft he can hold his own!

Remember him going out and doing Davie Cooper for something he said and he was ruthless there!

What I do find very strange is always got the impression Gilmour and Fitzy were not that fond on each other!

Does anyone think this appointment was made because of the bid made for the club?

welcome home Tony!!