Welcome Home Saints Legend , Tony Fitzpatrick

shull

Good luck Tony!

Great to see Tony back at the club, as always felt for someone as unique as him there should be a role for him at St Mirren but feel it is a slightly bizarre appointment. Brian Caldwell came to the club after doing well in the same role at Ayr and was a great success in my opinion.

I don't know what Tony has done in the last 20 years or so. Not being harsh or trying to be overly negative just think it is a surprise appointment and trying to look at it objectively without the 'return of a legend' tinted glasses.

Next week Paisley Panda will be unveiled as the new club dietitian with the menu at Ralston and corporate changing to mainly bamboo related foodstuffs. It's been a strange last 18 months at St Mirren Park that's for sure. :-)

Good luck Tony!

Great to see Tony back at the club, as always felt for someone as unique as him there should be a role for him at St Mirren but feel it is a slightly bizarre appointment. Brian Caldwell came to the club after doing well in the same role at Ayr and was a great success in my opinion.

I don't know what Tony has done in the last 20 years or so. Not being harsh or trying to be overly negative just think it is a surprise appointment and trying to look at it objectively without the 'return of a legend' tinted glasses.

Next week Paisley Panda will be unveiled as the new club dietitian with the menu at Ralston and corporate changing to mainly bamboo related foodstuffs. It's been a strange last 18 months at St Mirren Park that's for sure. :-)

Fair balanced post.

Good luck Tony!

Tony F back at St Mirren. Seems that could be like the cortisone injection to the damaged joint. Some relief from pain, some positive movement restored but is it any good in the long term ?

In short, its undeniably a positive blast to a place where negativity and gloom has been thriving.

Edited by Seaside Nipper

Wee interview in the ET ...

Tony Fitzpatrick reckons St Mirren should take inspiration from ice hockey outfit Braehead Clan after being named the Paisley club's chief executive.

The former Saints player and manager was unveiled yesterday as the man to replace outgoing CEO Brian Caldwell, who is set to take up a similar role at Shrewsbury Town.

Part of the 59-year-old's remit is to immerse St Mirren further into the community and help bring more people into the club.

It is something that Braehead have done to great effect. Despite only being formed in 2010, the Elite League side regularly play in front of sell-out home crowds at the Braehead Arena of around 3500, while their attitude to fan engagement and entertainment has helped win them plaudits as well as awards.

Fitzpatrick is one of many admirers of the Glasgow outfit, and he has pledged to take a leaf out of their near neighbours' book at Saints.

“You have to engage with supporters," he said. "I look at Braehead. Look at the way they have generated things. You have to look at it and give them credit.

“St Mirren have great foundations but like the great man Sir Alex Ferguson once did here, you have to go out and get your customers.

“Over the last few years I have been involved with leadership qualities and going to speak to major companies through my business. They tell you to go and get customers and we are no different. We want people to come to games and feel good.

“We want the fans to feel part of the club. The club needs the whole security."

He added: “Clan are getting as many supporters as St Mirren are getting on a Saturday for a league match. Of course you have to look at and see how they are structured.

“I am fortunate to have contacts at a lot of clubs so you always go and look at what is best."

Fitzpatrick is of course no stranger to St Mirren. Named as the club's youngest ever captain at 17, he turned out over 450 times for the Buddies across two spells while also managing them twice, a double feat nobody else has done in the club's history.

Above all else, however, the man who also had a stint at Bristol City has Saints at heart, and has felt the frustration and pain over the last 18 months as his club struggles with life in the Ladbrokes Championship after being relegated last term from the top flight.

While his playing and coaching days may be over, he is determined to do what he can to restore St Mirren to where he believes they should be.

“It has been a bit mind-boggling at times because the team can play good football, they just haven’t always got the results to back that up," said Fitzpatrick.

“That’s frustrating and we are where we are. But I still believe when I see the players, the manager, the structure, and I see potential.

“At the end of the day I’m a supporter. I know how we have all felt. The one word I’d hate to use is apathy, we need to stop thinking ‘ach it’s another game where we have been unlucky.’

“That’s not just down to me though, there is the manager as well and I’m there to support him."

He added: “I was very fortunate in my young life to be brought up under Sir Alex Ferguson. I saw what he tried to do.

“He was more than a manager and he knew how to engage with the fans and community, and why not do it again?

“It goes in cycles and I feel that things are falling into place, and I include myself in that! It’s the same with Alex.

“I believe there are good times coming for St Mirren."

Wee interview in the ET ...

Tony Fitzpatrick reckons St Mirren should take inspiration from ice hockey outfit Braehead Clan after being named the Paisley club's chief executive.

The former Saints player and manager was unveiled yesterday as the man to replace outgoing CEO Brian Caldwell, who is set to take up a similar role at Shrewsbury Town.

Part of the 59-year-old's remit is to immerse St Mirren further into the community and help bring more people into the club.

It is something that Braehead have done to great effect. Despite only being formed in 2010, the Elite League side regularly play in front of sell-out home crowds at the Braehead Arena of around 3500, while their attitude to fan engagement and entertainment has helped win them plaudits as well as awards.

Fitzpatrick is one of many admirers of the Glasgow outfit, and he has pledged to take a leaf out of their near neighbours' book at Saints.

“You have to engage with supporters," he said. "I look at Braehead. Look at the way they have generated things. You have to look at it and give them credit.

“St Mirren have great foundations but like the great man Sir Alex Ferguson once did here, you have to go out and get your customers.

“Over the last few years I have been involved with leadership qualities and going to speak to major companies through my business. They tell you to go and get customers and we are no different. We want people to come to games and feel good.

“We want the fans to feel part of the club. The club needs the whole security."

He added: “Clan are getting as many supporters as St Mirren are getting on a Saturday for a league match. Of course you have to look at and see how they are structured.

“I am fortunate to have contacts at a lot of clubs so you always go and look at what is best."

Fitzpatrick is of course no stranger to St Mirren. Named as the club's youngest ever captain at 17, he turned out over 450 times for the Buddies across two spells while also managing them twice, a double feat nobody else has done in the club's history.

Above all else, however, the man who also had a stint at Bristol City has Saints at heart, and has felt the frustration and pain over the last 18 months as his club struggles with life in the Ladbrokes Championship after being relegated last term from the top flight.

While his playing and coaching days may be over, he is determined to do what he can to restore St Mirren to where he believes they should be.

“It has been a bit mind-boggling at times because the team can play good football, they just haven’t always got the results to back that up," said Fitzpatrick.

“That’s frustrating and we are where we are. But I still believe when I see the players, the manager, the structure, and I see potential.

“At the end of the day I’m a supporter. I know how we have all felt. The one word I’d hate to use is apathy, we need to stop thinking ‘ach it’s another game where we have been unlucky.’

“That’s not just down to me though, there is the manager as well and I’m there to support him."

He added: “I was very fortunate in my young life to be brought up under Sir Alex Ferguson. I saw what he tried to do.

“He was more than a manager and he knew how to engage with the fans and community, and why not do it again?

“It goes in cycles and I feel that things are falling into place, and I include myself in that! It’s the same with Alex.

“I believe there are good times coming for St Mirren."

Good stuff but let's see if he practices what he speaks.

But he's right the days of build a pitch and they will come doesn't work these days

There has to be a better rapore with the local footballing community

Good stuff but let's see if he practices what he speaks.

But he's right the days of build a pitch and they will come doesn't work these days

There has to be a better rapore with the local footballing community

Absolutely and I've been banging on about that for years now. There's so much St Mirren could do to make the club far more central to the community. It HAS to work both ways but it can be done easily and cheaply

Just spotted Fitzy driving about the Asda car park in an old ford Cortina with a PA system booming out the back telling people to get on down to St Mirren Park.

The good times they are a coming folks :-)

Ha, that'll be lost on the younger fans.

But hopefully we have 'bottomed out' so to speak.

Lets get behind the team & the club & play our part to ensure 'The good times are a coming' :)

• 3 weeks later...