Optimism

Earlier in the season I was almost out of this precious trait.

But with a couple of new signings, and ones who might even get goals I began to look at the fixtures.

Daft as it may seem, and with a whole load of may..be's IF we win our next 4 league games, and other results go the right way we could be sitting in 4th.

Here's hoping we get some great results, fly away from the relegation zone and put a smile on many faces.

I still hope 1 or 2 more arrive before close of the transfer window though!!

But with a couple of new signings, and ones who might even get goals I began to look at the fixtures.

Daft as it may seem, and with a whole load of may..be's IF we win our next 4 league games, and other results go the right way we could be sitting in 4th.

Here's hoping we get some great results, fly away from the relegation zone and put a smile on many faces.

I agree with the last line

Div did say

Is that including the fans.

Given what we've been through if we finish the season in 4th spot it will be a miracle but it's certainly not impossible.

We would go into the play offs with very little chance of progressing but of all the teams in there we would be under the least amount of pressure and expectation.

To finish 4th would also mean we would have had a very good run between now and the end of April, which would stand us in decent stead going into a proper summer of rebuilding.

Until it's arithmetically impossible 4th must be the aim.

I really hope we can have a productive summer as the last three campaigns have all been undone by abysmal recruitment in the close season.

If we start attacking teams , then we might have a chance of 4th place .

We really need to play with 2 upfront .

To be blunt, we could play half a dozen up front, but with no decent supply from midfield/wide areas, we'd still struggle to score goals.

I go through phases of delusion optimism, sandwiched between periods of gloom and apathy. The way I've learned to deal with the emotional roller-coaster of supporting St Mirren is to expect the worst while hoping for the best.

Even back-to-back victories would be huge boost as we move towards the business end of the season. Rae has had a while to work with his squad, now, so, assuming the match goes ahead tomorrow, we might reasonably hope that the home win hoodoo is laid to rest, and that we might turn a corner.

What do I expect from tomorrow? We will be leading 2-0 after 20 minutes, and the match will be abandoned on account of snow obscuring the lines.

With Quinn and Clarkson and with Goody and Naismith back plus maybe two more in midfield I think we could achieve a far higher position. With Naismith back Watson slots into centre defence. BUT I still think we need a couple more of decent midfielders.

I'm optimistic that we won't be as bad as we have been for the duration of the season .

I do agree that we need better supply from midfield / wide areas .

If we can add more and the players who have been under performing can raise their game , I don't think we'll be far away from 4th .

In all honesty though , I'll be happy if we just start playing well and show a little consistency .

Not asking for that much !

Is that including the fans.

I suspect even the most miserable fans could stretch to a smile if we won the next 4 league games in a row. Alloa, QOS twice & Dumbarton - - it is not inconceivable, even for us surely?

See that Lewis McLear has gone on Loan to Stirling - Good for the boy, but also hopefully a sign of money freed up for another signing.

Edited by Sweeper07

I am all for optimism , to be a Saints fan its a vital ingredient , but, it will take more than players to turn this around. We need a system , tactics and 100% effort, After Livi match I saw none of them. This is a must win. If on it will be cold windy and a leveler, so lets see if the p[layers feel as committed as we do. Hope so

We have absolutely no justification for optimism based on what we have seen at any time so far this season and as for finishing in fourth place this season .... get real.

However, I do agree that with our two recent signings plus the imminent return of Goodwin and Naismith, there is hope that our new management team will be able to turn things round within a few weeks time.

And a big plus in this period of negativity is the return of Tony Fitzpatrick as CEO - all is not yet lost.

I was also wondering if we could slot Tony somewhere into our midfield - even at his advanced age?

I along with others have been highly critical of the BOD with Murray and the last few years of carnage - but I think they have realised that serious action needed to be taken and have supported it.

There are no guarantees this will work out great - but hats off to them and AR for agreeing these commitments that I think most Saint's fans see as improvements?

We are not naïve, further improvements will be needed next transfer window - but this is surely a good step towards more points, victory's and cheer around for all concerned at St. Mirren.

And we are still entitled to a good moan at anything we see worth moaning at!

COME ON YE SAINTS!!!!