Graham Spiers V The Herald & Sevco

Kemp

The Herald have fired Graham Spiers, and one other journalist who had supported him, over an apology that seemingly the Sevco legal team had forced the paper to run.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/jan/29/two-columnists-depart-from-glasgow-herald-in-row-with-rangers?CMP=share_btn_tw

Spiers called out a Rangers director for still thinking Billy Boys was a "great song".

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from The Herald, particularly in firing the other journalist who had simply supported Spiers on twitter.

Seems the Scottish media is to be run by mob rule, with the screaming bigots at Ibrox leading the mob.

Sevco actually believe theynwill get away with all this..... The fun has only just begun!

Should we have an official black&white army show of support for Spiers, Haggerty, Mcclaughlin and against intimidation?

We could invite other club's fan forum to join in a Positive campaign of openess not another 'Billy Boys-Cot"....

I would ask the forum owner but its unlikely to be adopted coming from me, but perhaps A.N. Other could get an 'Openess and Support" campaign up and running to support these journalists.... If the football fans dont do it, the media certainly wont!

The Herald have fired Graham Spiers, and one other journalist who had supported him, over an apology that seemingly the Sevco legal team had forced the paper to run.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/jan/29/two-columnists-depart-from-glasgow-herald-in-row-with-rangers?CMP=share_btn_tw

Spiers called out a Rangers director for still thinking Billy Boys was a "great song".

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour from The Herald, particularly in firing the other journalist who had simply supported Spiers on twitter.

Seems the Scottish media is to be run by mob rule, with the screaming bigots at Ibrox leading the mob.

Could you not spell Angela Haggerty?

Well done to Spiers for reporting what was said to him by a Rangers director and its a disgrace that he has lost his job along with Miss Haggarty for supporting him. Rangers are bigotted to the core and it dismays me that Spiers, who don't forget is a Rangers fan has only written what he was told. I feel nothing for those whose religious beliefs make them feel untouchable but respect for Graham Spiers.

I have long been in a minority of people who actually respected and liked listening to Speirs despite him openly being a supporter of "them"!

Mibbes it is because his auld man baptised me in 1991 and he sounds so like him... but I prefer to think that despite his leanings (and his auld man was also a Rangers fan who was equally at home going to Darkhead when they admitted the clergy for free!!!), it was because I could sense he was a man of integrity who called it as he saw it and wasn't afraid to do so.

This goes a long way to proving that I had a point. Hope he gets the support of the non-bigoted multitude.

I have long been in a minority of people who actually respected and liked listening to Speirs despite him openly being a supporter of "them"!

Mibbes it is because his auld man baptised me in 1991 and he sounds so like him... but I prefer to think that despite his leanings (and his auld man was also a Rangers fan who was equally at home going to Darkhead when they admitted the clergy for free!!!), it was because I could sense he was a man of integrity who called it as he saw it and wasn't afraid to do so.

This goes a long way to proving that I had a point. Hope he gets the support of the non-bigoted multitude.

The silent majority we keep getting told,i have my doubts

I have sympathy for Spiers but not much for Angela Haggerty but that's probably because I can't stand her. Worth noting that she is good pals with Phil Mac thingy, who invented some nonsense about Saints fans being racist bigots after booing James McCarthy years ago. She edited his book on Rangers and made a shite job of it as there were a fair number of simple errors. I got my copy from a charity shop for £1, rather appropriate considering the subject matter.

While The Herald have handed the whole thing poorly, I'd imagine anyone who took to Twitter to publicly stand by a colleague who had got the boot would find themselves in a bit of bother with their employers, regardless of the industry.

I have sympathy for Spiers but not much for Angela Haggerty but that's probably because I can't stand her. Worth noting that she is good pals with Phil Mac thingy, who invented some nonsense about Saints fans being racist bigots after booing James McCarthy years ago. She edited his book on Rangers and made a shite job of it as there were a fair number of simple errors. I got my copy from a charity shop for £1, rather appropriate considering the subject matter.

While The Herald have handed the whole thing poorly, I'd imagine anyone who took to Twitter to publicly stand by a colleague who had got the boot would find themselves in a bit of bother with their employers, regardless of the industry.

Agreed. It is more than a little obvious that Angela Haggerty has her own long standing agenda, fine, fair play to her, each to their own I suppose......

Spiers is a strange one, a long standing Govan football club supporter, yet, managed not to be swayed by the clubs less than subtle machinations to things religious, also in fact publicly challenged them on their Sectarianism. Ironically though he was and is still to this day guilty of salivating all over the Advocat and Murray era, that spell was the defining moneydowntheshitter.com era that ultimatey liquidated RFC.

Good writer, has some principles, but , working in that industry, its inevitable that its compromise or die to a significant extent.

Currently he's lost to the Herald, yet imo that's more to their detriment than to Spiers.

Fwiw this whole episode also just demonstrates why RFC or Sevco or whatever the f**k kind of inegrity zero club entity they are, is so despised. Hello Hello, we are the Bully Boys right enough dry.png