Ian Murray

FS

Was on Off The Ball yesterday having a whinge about budget constraints, saying he couldn't bring in the calibre of player he would've liked due to this.

By no means a bitchfest but at no point did he admit any liability or apologise for Alan Gow getting a deal.

The guy had a miserable 6 months at the club. In that time he has gone from a young up and coming manager to a dud. ( Such is the nonsense that is Scottish Football). He'll know the mistakes he has made but obviously won't broadcast them as searches for a new job.

I hope he learns from his mistakes and goes on to become a top manager. It's embarrassing that St Mirren seems to have become the graveyard for the careers of so many young managers.

The guy had a miserable 6 months at the club. In that time he has gone from a young up and coming manager to a dud. ( Such is the nonsense that is Scottish Football). He'll know the mistakes he has made but obviously won't broadcast them as searches for a new job.

I hope he learns from his mistakes and goes on to become a top manager. It's embarrassing that St Mirren seems to have become the graveyard for the careers of so many young managers.

Ian Murray and ?? Tom Hendrie?

????

What other 'young managers'? Danny got a full term as did Gus so who else and why embarrassing? Gary Teale was temp.

Edited by nedflanders123

Was on Off The Ball yesterday having a whinge about budget constraints, saying he couldn't bring in the calibre of player he would've liked due to this.

By no means a bitchfest but at no point did he admit any liability or apologise for Alan Gow getting a deal.

To be fair he didn't get his intended targets due to budget players going to smaller teams

Gow was a panic signing imo because his targets were staying put or signing elsewhere

Doesn't explain his terrible tactics and players fitness though

To be fair he didn't get his intended targets due to budget players going to smaller teams

Gow was a panic signing imo because his targets were staying put or signing elsewhere

I still think the players he brought in should have been good enough to compete bar one or two. From 4 wins out of 6, o just couldnt see us winning any of those games under murray

Before I reply I will say I'm not IM biggest fan or a fan of his at all really. But he done a reasonable job on nothing at Dumbarton. When he took over them he steadied and got a decent league position then following season done the same. To which they are still in the same league as us as it stands. In my opinion that's doing a decent managerial job. And if you can now tell me that in his position if a bigger full time club came calling with a semi decent budget and great facilities comes calling you would knock it back. Just as IM didn't and said yes to it. We found nothing to our very dear cost as we are clearly going to remain in this division this season. The bod made an error yet again but for me IM came to pass after publicly slating our own fans. Yes he got found out but any professional person in any walk of life would not walk away from a better opportunity in their profession if given the chance for me the only thing that it had cost us is we are 6 months behind where we want to be but now have AR in charge and doing a good job in turning us around for the better so roll on next season

Before I reply I will say I'm not IM biggest fan or a fan of his at all really. But he done a reasonable job on nothing at Dumbarton. When he took over them he steadied and got a decent league position then following season done the same. To which they are still in the same league as us as it stands. In my opinion that's doing a decent managerial job. And if you can now tell me that in his position if a bigger full time club came calling with a semi decent budget and great facilities comes calling you would knock it back. Just as IM didn't and said yes to it. We found nothing to our very dear cost as we are clearly going to remain in this division this season. The bod made an error yet again but for me IM came to pass after publicly slating our own fans. Yes he got found out but any professional person in any walk of life would not walk away from a better opportunity in their profession if given the chance for me the only thing that it had cost us is we are 6 months behind where we want to be but now have AR in charge and doing a good job in turning us around for the better so roll on next season

To summarise what you are saying he cost us a whole season, the chance of promotion, and a pay-off...!

I call that 'Very Dear' as it runs into the hundreds of thousands of pounds. If you class not getting relegated from the championship an achievement then yes he did achieve that at Dumbarton.

But he gave Gow a deal very early on I seem to recall!

For a part time club avoiding relegation from the second top flight of Scottish football is success!!

He walked from the club so no pay off

And in my opinion we were never guarenteed to be in the play offs or promotion given the dross that took us down to this league or given that there were clearly at least 3 very good teams already vying for most of those positions so no he didn't cost us a season only half as AR is now working on his plans for rest of season to get us in shape for next season. And given at the start of the season there was a poll on here asking where we would finish from what I recall most said 5-7 so in that essence no promotion or play off

I can understand him not admitting full liability in a bid to keep himself sweet with any potential employers.

I was just a wee bit disappointed that he was alluding to having been misled and that there was something going on behind the scenes.

The only relevant thing going on behind the scenes was him being a shit manager.

I can understand him not admitting full liability in a bid to keep himself sweet with any potential employers.

I was just a wee bit disappointed that he was alluding to having been misled and that there was something going on behind the scenes.

The only relevant thing going on behind the scenes was him being a shit manager.

How do you know what was going on behind the scenes or what was discussed at interview?

I remember Gus McPherson claiming that he had been told that if you turned St Mirren into a winning side average crowds upwards of 10,000 were likely. It certainly raised my eyebrows at the time because neither Alex Ferguson nor Tom Hendrie had managed anywhere near that and the highest average gate I remembered through the 80's when the club was at it's best was only ever around 6,500 and that was in a larger stadium with at least four visits from the Old Firm every season. Of course not long after St Mirren moved to a stadium with a capacity of just 8,000 showing the board of directors clearly didn't think crowds of 10,000+ were ever likely so was McPherson talking rubbish, or was the potential of the club hyped up by a board keen to land their man?

I'm no fan of Ian Murray. A check back on here would show that I wrote him off as a manager before and after his appointment to the St Mirren post. I think anyone dealing with recruitment at the club should have been able to pick up on the same clues as to how his career at the club was going to work out. Similarly I don't have sympathy with Murray. Had he known his stuff he should have known the strength and abilities of the youth players he was going to have to work with and surely with many spaces in his squad he should have been able to figure out what he was likely to be able to bring in on the budget available. But it is striking that in all the time Stewart Gilmour has been Chairman of the club not one managerial appointment has gone on to bigger and better things.

How do you know what was going on behind the scenes or what was discussed at interview?

I remember Gus McPherson claiming that he had been told that if you turned St Mirren into a winning side average crowds upwards of 10,000 were likely. It certainly raised my eyebrows at the time because neither Alex Ferguson nor Tom Hendrie had managed anywhere near that and the highest average gate I remembered through the 80's when the club was at it's best was only ever around 6,500 and that was in a larger stadium with at least four visits from the Old Firm every season. Of course not long after St Mirren moved to a stadium with a capacity of just 8,000 showing the board of directors clearly didn't think crowds of 10,000+ were ever likely so was McPherson talking rubbish, or was the potential of the club hyped up by a board keen to land their man?

I'm no fan of Ian Murray. A check back on here would show that I wrote him off as a manager before and after his appointment to the St Mirren post. I think anyone dealing with recruitment at the club should have been able to pick up on the same clues as to how his career at the club was going to work out. Similarly I don't have sympathy with Murray. Had he known his stuff he should have known the strength and abilities of the youth players he was going to have to work with and surely with many spaces in his squad he should have been able to figure out what he was likely to be able to bring in on the budget available. But it is striking that in all the time Stewart Gilmour has been Chairman of the club not one managerial appointment has gone on to bigger and better things.

Guess what, I don't have a clue what was discussed at his interview or what was going on behind the scenes.

My point was, I don't think he came across particularly well yesterday due to trying to apportion all blame onto our board and the calibre of player he was able to sign.

I disliked him as a player but thought he was worth a gamble, turns out he was shit, it happens.

Alex Rae is a similar gamble but seems at this stage capable of stabilising us at the very least.

But he gave Gow a deal very early on I seem to recall!

Gow was Murray's first signing followed by Agnew, Thompson, Conlan and Howieson I think - none of whom are seen as starting XI players by Alex Rae. Rae also seems to have been able to source the kind of players Murray should have been trying to get in the summer, some experienced pros in late 20s / 30ish not getting games at clubs like Ross County, Dundee, Motherwell etc instead of taking a punt on lots of our U20's making the step up alongside other young inexperiened guys like McMullan, Gallagher, Shankland, Conlan, Howieson.

Guess what, I don't have a clue what was discussed at his interview or what was going on behind the scenes.

My point was, I don't think he came across particularly well yesterday due to trying to apportion all blame onto our board and the calibre of player he was able to sign.

I disliked him as a player but thought he was worth a gamble, turns out he was shit, it happens.

Alex Rae is a similar gamble but seems at this stage capable of stabilising us at the very least.

So first you claim the only relevant thing going on behind the scenes was that Murray was shite, and now you say that you've no idea what he was promised at interview, or what was going on behind the scenes. I wish you'd make your mind up.

Appointing any new manager is a gamble, but as with any football coupon you mitigate the risk by doing your homework. The people who recruited Ian Murray clearly hadn't done their homework. If they had done they would have known that Murray was unlikely to be a success at a club like St Mirren. Perhaps the board thought Murray would learn quickly on the job, that certainly seems to have been backed up by the fact that the board brought Alex Miller on board to help him out. Sadly, by that point, all of the damage had been done.

I believe Rae is less of a gamble. He's obviously been successful at Dundee previously having taken them over when they weren't in any great shape. I predicted Rae would be able to turn the club around quite quickly on hearing news of his appointment and I posted to that effect on here fairly soon after. Not that I'm predicting Champions League football, or even a promotion any time soon, but Rae was always going to guide St Mirren to safety. However none of that takes away from the very obvious record that not one of the managers appointed by the board of directors during Stewart Gilmours tenure as Chairman of the club has gone on to better things in the game. Embarrassing? Well I can see where the poster who said that was coming from - but I'd call it damning rather than embarrassing.