So Farewell Sir Terry

Scabby Dug

Really liked wogan until I heard he got paid for children in need

Aye forget all the countless millions he helped raise over the years.

Lets just focus on the fact that he got paid to work.

FFS is there a better example of narrow minded guff than this?

Maybe we should close down Cancer Research UK and all the orher charities where people have the audacity to want to pay their bills whilst helping millions of others? The bloody cheek eh?

Really liked wogan until I heard he got paid for children in need

He got paid because he put in a great deal of work in preparation for the event. It was just one night of TV for most (and a short one at that for many) but he put in a fair shift on the day (and the night) and in the weeks leading up to the event. I can't understand why people didn't appreciate that at the time it was revealed. Children in Need considered him to be the heart and soul of the charity as they knew how much he put in throughout the years to continue the amazing success of the appeal.

All that and he made my years of commuting to work a pleasure by making me laugh every morning at the absurdity and whimsy of life and those who lived it. Not many could get away with the pure filth of the Janet and John stories at that time of the morning on national radio. Top man Tel - you'll be missed by millions and fondly remembered by them all.

Guest TPAFKATS

He got paid because he put in a great deal of work in preparation for the event. It was just one night of TV for most (and a short one at that for many) but he put in a fair shift on the day (and the night) and in the weeks leading up to the event. I can't understand why people didn't appreciate that at the time it was revealed. Children in Need considered him to be the heart and soul of the charity as they knew how much he put in throughout the years to continue the amazing success of the appeal.

All that and he made my years of commuting to work a pleasure by making me laugh every morning at the absurdity and whimsy of life and those who lived it. Not many could get away with the pure filth of the Janet and John stories at that time of the morning on national radio. Top man Tel - you'll be missed by millions and fondly remembered by them all.

I still have a Janet & John cd kicking around somewhere, along with his autobiography and eurovision hasn't been the same since terry and his bottles of vino retired from it. Just found the whole Children in Need stuff hypocritical and it along with his refusal to give evidence to BBC enquiry into Savile etc al sullies the memory.

Guest TPAFKATS

Maybe we should close down Cancer Research UK and all the orher charities where people have the audacity to want to pay their bills whilst helping millions of others? The bloody cheek eh?

I do like how you come on this forum kidding on you are above us all with your pseudo 'intelligence' while posting stuff like this.

So you would work for nothing?

Terry Wogan ....R.I.P.

https://youtu.be/T3Y4HufJ1oE

Was it the 80s where he seemed to be on TV all the time. Hearing his voice constantly in that period put me right off him just talked a load of old mumbo jumbo.

Regarding raising money for children in need and making thousands doing so would the right thing not have been to say to his millions of loyal fans. Ladies and gentlemen I am going to donate tonight earnings to children in need. After all its not as if he was on low wages pulling money in from all directions from media work

He did not do it for me and cant understand all the over the top fuss. Yes liked by millions but all day on BBC News 24 , really.

RIP

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Tend to agree with IoBSaint. I always thought he was somewhat boring and unfunny, but it turns out that no, he was unquestionably the greatest broadcaster who ever lived and routinely hilarious. The hyperbole not his fault of course, just typical of the times I guess. By all accounts a thoroughly nice man, RIP

I still have a Janet & John cd kicking around somewhere, along with his autobiography and eurovision hasn't been the same since terry and his bottles of vino retired from it. Just found the whole Children in Need stuff hypocritical and it along with his refusal to give evidence to BBC enquiry into Savile etc al sullies the memory.

So one minute you have a problem with him being paid to do his job despite the fact he raised hundreds of millions of pounds for charity and the next minute you are now trying to tar him with Jimmy Saville???

It's interesting that the first thing you spoke about not liking him over was him being paid to do charity work.

Good to see where your priorities lie.

I do like how you come on this forum kidding on you are above us all with your pseudo 'intelligence' while posting stuff like this.

I find your view that people should do charity work for free to be idiotic.

I'm simply pointing that out.

Should you not be on the phone right now to the Beatson Cancer Institute demanding all those researchers work for free?

Guest TPAFKATS

Tend to agree with IoBSaint. I always thought he was somewhat boring and unfunny, but it turns out that no, he was unquestionably the greatest broadcaster who ever lived and routinely hilarious. The hyperbole not his fault of course, just typical of the times I guess. By all accounts a thoroughly nice man, RIP

To be fair to the BBC, they need to highlight guys like wogan as much as possible. There ain't that many from his era who they can celebrate!

Guest TPAFKATS

So one minute you have a problem with him being paid to do his job despite the fact he raised hundreds of millions of pounds for charity and the next minute you are now trying to tar him with Jimmy Saville???

It's interesting that the first thing you spoke about not liking him over was him being paid to do charity work.

Good to see where your priorities lie.

Are you really this daft?

Or are you intentionally misreading my posts?

Guest TPAFKATS

I find your view that people should do charity work for free to be idiotic.

I'm simply pointing that out.

Should you not be on the phone right now to the Beatson Cancer Institute demanding all those researchers work for free?

It's not my view, it's the accepted norm when it comes to celebs doing 'work' for charidee.

It's not work and certainly not the same as a full time job as you attempt to equate it to.

You seem to find it acceptable for multi millionaires to be paid by a charity to give up a few hours of their time emotionally blackmailing the general populous into donating money to said charity.

I don't.

Edited by TPAFKATS