So Farewell Sir Terry

Scabby Dug

It's not my view, it's the accepted norm when it comes to celebs doing 'work' for charidee.

It's not work and certainly not the same as a full time job as you attempt to equate it to.

You seem to find it acceptable for multi millionaires to be paid by a charity to give up a few hours of their time emotionally blackmailing the general populous into donating money to said charity.

I don't.

You will have more of a point when Charities stop paying huge salaries to Fat Cat Directors sitting in luxurious offices.

So one minute you have a problem with him being paid to do his job despite the fact he raised hundreds of millions of pounds for charity and the next minute you are now trying to tar him with Jimmy Saville???

It's interesting that the first thing you spoke about not liking him over was him being paid to do charity work.

Good to see where your priorities lie.

the Irishman - who earns £800,000 just from radio was paid #9,065 for presenting one children in need show.

This is why it would have been good of him to say ladies and Gents tonight I donate my earnings for this programme to children In Need. They guy is earning more than million a year with other commitments.

Ludicrous wages.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

It's not my view, it's the accepted norm when it comes to celebs doing 'work' for charidee.

It's not work and certainly not the same as a full time job as you attempt to equate it to.

You seem to find it acceptable for multi millionaires to be paid by a charity to give up a few hours of their time emotionally blackmailing the general populous into donating money to said charity.

I don't.

What the hell is wrong with you people.

The guys helps raise hundreds of millions of pounds but rather than celebrate that you want to castigate him for pocketing under £10k in wages.

And since when was it up to either of you to decide how much of a salary was enough?

This smacks of the politics of envy pure and simple.

This guy has done more for charity than the combined efforts of both of you.

I'm pretty sure the vast army of recipients of his charity exploits are grateful and couldn't give two f**ks how much he earned raising that money.

The question is, in the face of this man's achievements, why you two think you are the keepers of the moral gates?

The guys helps raise hundreds of millions of pounds but rather than celebrate that you want to castigate him for pocketing under £10k in wages.

And since when was it up to either of you to decide how much of a salary was enough?

I'm pretty sure the vast army of recipients of his charity exploits are grateful and couldn't give two f**ks how much he earned raising that money.

The question is, in the face of this man's achievements, why you two think you are the keepers of the moral gates?

Do you seriously sit in front of the TV and give money over to charity simply because who is presenting the TV programme.

He was earning almost 10 grand for each programme a programme in which to raise funds for children.

Sorry if you don't agree but I find it disgusting that someone earning in excess of a million a year should take 10 grand from a charity show.

Equally, the question is why you think you're the keeper of the moral gates...

I was a big fan and was really shocked at the news. He is one of the very few celebs over the last thirty years or so who never had a whiff of scandal near him..When the 'scandal' of his being paid for Children in Need broke, it turned out Terry didn't know he was being paid. The Beeb knew the rate Terry was being paid and simply without asking added it to his salary. Why wouldn't they? Terry Wogan was very wealthy and I'm willing to bet he made a lot of donations to charity during his career. It will probably come out now that he's dead.

RIP, Terry. I believe that you were a good, good man.

Guest TPAFKATS

That's an awfy lot of assumptions in one post.

BTW, I've never taken a wage, salary or fee from a charity while raising money for it ;-)

Guest TPAFKATS

You will have more of a point when Charities stop paying huge salaries to Fat Cat Directors sitting in luxurious offices.

Im not defending that, or the hoarding of donations that children in need seems to indulge in either.

FFS, do the simpletons really believe Wogan only turned up on the big night and stole the show? 1eye.gif

It's well documented, if any cnut can be bothered to look at the whole picture, he worked throughout the year and, yes, because of who he was, he attracted a lot of sponsors and a whole lot of donations.

Focusing on what is a paltry amount compared to the millions he helped the charities gain is, well, small-minded from the usual suspects who go out of their way to find a negative. bye1.gifbye1.gifbye1.gif

FFS, do the simpletons really believe Wogan only turned up on the big night and stole the show? 1eye.gif

It's well documented, if any cnut can be bothered to look at the whole picture, he worked throughout the year and, yes, because of who he was, he attracted a lot of sponsors and a whole lot of donations.

Focusing on what is a paltry amount compared to the millions he helped the charities gain is, well, small-minded from the usual suspects who go out of their way to find a negative. bye1.gifbye1.gifbye1.gif

A long time ago while doing Dj there were quite a few nights where I did not charge local charities. I see it as trying to raise money for good local causes. its not rocket science. Im not saying Terry is a bad guy but ffs everyone and his dog on TV talking about all the money raised for children in need. why don't they tell us he earned 10 grand a show. That 10 grand would have bought a lot of toys , holidays whatever is needed. To this day I help Calllum Cabin 2 holiday home for dying children and their families for free. It takes over 100 grand a year to run these 2 places would never dream of taking money for work done and I don't earn over a million quid a year.

A long time ago while doing Dj there were quite a few nights where I did not charge local charities. I see it as trying to raise money for good local causes. its not rocket science. Im not saying Terry is a bad guy but ffs everyone and his dog on TV talking about all the money raised for children in need. why don't they tell us he earned 10 grand a show. That 10 grand would have bought a lot of toys , holidays whatever is needed. To this day I help Calllum Cabin 2 holiday home for dying children and their families for free. It takes over 100 grand a year to run these 2 places would never dream of taking money for work done and I don't earn over a million quid a year.

Because most people are capable of seeing a spend of ten k to bring in hundreds of millions as a no brainer.

Oh and its pretty tasteless to brag about your own charity work.

Guest TPAFKATS

No but you didnt miss the opportunity to tell us all that you do free work for charity did you?

Not necessarily, but once again you've chosen to put your spin on my answer to your post.

Guest TPAFKATS

Because most people are capable of seeing a spend of ten k to bring in hundreds of millions as a no brainer.

You really can't grasp that people chose to give to charity. It didn't take a spend of anything on wogan's wages. Why are you implying that without wogan's charity wage they wouldn't have raised millions.

Plenty of others including his old gits give their time without payment.

Anyway to once again summarise, I liked wogan but liked him less when I heard about this.

It matters not one jot what less than a handful of people on here, who talk Wogan down, think, there are far more who realise what he brought to British TV & radio, not to mention his tireless work for many charities.

Aye, he was more than a decent man.

I'm sure the narrow minded, and simple minded, who focus on one issue are perfect but won't be missed as much or by as many.